Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi and welcome.

You do realise, if this is the AM Cars car it wasn't originally white!!!! i think it was blue originally.

Comment

Info

Morning Shaun.

I know nothing about the car or its history. I said on my last thread that I like to keep things original so this is very disappointing news for me. Apart from seeing the car on Ebay and collecting it from the transport company who delivered the car to Perth, I have not even started looking over the car as I work away from home. The car is still sitting on my trailer in the garage waiting to be offloaded and washed following its journey to Scotland.
      If you know more about the car Shaun, I would appreciate any info you have but feel saddened already. Paintwork looks OK but I would hate to see blue behind plastic.
      Please let me know what you know.

Cheers

Comment

Eghaust Heat Sheilds

Good Evening Folks.

Hope you all enjoyed the Christmas break and looking forward to the New Year.
        I finally got my car up on the ramp to see if I can find out what is making a rattling noise when the car idling or revved to about 1500rpm. The Heat shields on the pipes before the cats are very loose and look like they have suffered damage in the past from bottoming out or something. Glad this is all it is because the noise was a little worrying to say the least. I have tried to secure in place with clamps etc but has not helped and looks awful.
        I am tempted to cut the shields off completely as this will cure the problem. However, I am concerned about the amount of heat which will be transferred to the gearbox and subframe mounts without the heat shields being in place. I would think this would not be a problem when the car is moving but what about sitting in traffic etc.
        Has anyone else had a similar problem and how was it overcome.

Cheers for now.

Logan

Comment

If the shields have corroded around the mountings you can use penny washers to hold the mount in place. You may be able to source original heatshield. Other wise you can buy the material and fab your own
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I guess you mean the shields mounted on the downpipe are loose.
            I run a custom 3" downpipe with no heat shield, no issues. Plenty of others on here doing the same.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Are those heat shields not covering fuel lines there?

I looked at replacing mine on my old S2 but they were all either NLA or insane prices. I think Error404 or someone did a bit of a write up about DIY heat shields from generic material. Might be worth using the search for

Comment

Exhaust shields

Good Evening friends

Sorry I didn't explain my problem clearly enough. The Heat shield I refer to is the metal casing which is actually fitted to the exhaust itself and not the ones which are bolted to the car to protect floorpans, piping etc.
                The shield coming down the single pipe from the turbo looks to be in good condition and is secure. The shield which is fitted to the exhaust pipe which splits in two and runs to the cats is the one that is rattling and is free to move around the exhaust. I think I will remove it as suggested above and if required can wrap heat tape to the exhaust pipes if things are getting affected by the heat.
                Many thanks for responses which are much appreciated.

Cheers

Logan

Comment

Consider crushing a bit of the shield and then putting a jubliee clip around it to keep it tight, this may allow you to keep the failing shield but still not have to put up with it rattling.

Comment

Front wings

Good evening all.

I would appreciate if someone in the know could answer this question. Are the front wings the same on the range of 80 cars whether it be Saloon, coupe etc. Also, I was talking to a friend of mine who says there was a change in the front wings from 1994 to 1996. Some dealers advertise front wings for 1991 to 1994 models while others state that the wing will fit all models from 1991 to 1996. I asked my local Audi dealer and he thinks they are all the same but was surprised to see there is a different part number for later models. My wings are in good condition but I also know they were prone to rust around the arch.

Cheers

Logan

Comment

The difference in the wings could be the indicator or the flare of the arch ?

Others will know more.

Wouldn't be hard............

Comment

Ah its finally been bought, it was for sale for years if i am not mistaken, seem to remember it being on show at adi few years back too. Hopefully its in decent shape as have read a few thing about am cars in my time. Look fwd to seeing some pics.
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                        X