Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi 80 Avant To RS2

New Project;

To Turn a bog standard LHD Audi 80 Avant 5 cly into a full blown RS2...

My Good Friend & Mechanic Matt (Autohausdolby) is planning on doing this project over the coming months (Years!!)...

He has always loved RS2's and being a VW/Audi Mechanic he always loves a challenge.. And he ain't half picked one to do.. He has bought a ex French LHD Audi 80 Avant with not a single straight panel on it and he is planning to convert it to a full RS2 spec car... With as many OEM parts as he can get... Hes has just had delivered a couple of parts, the front bonnet grill and mesh insert & Tailgate panel.

I will pop round on Monday and take a few pics on the car in its current state..

I was trying to get him to get it repainted in Noggy Blue.. but the body shop we use (Bramhalls in Sheffield) has quoted him around £6K for a full job.. basically they don't wanna know as its such a big job.. So he now plans on having it painted in RS2 Black.

1st question we have and would like some input on is what are the parts that are different on a RS2 to an S2..

I/We am aware of some of the obvious parts... Turbo, Exhaust & Manifold, Air Box, Inter-cooler, Cross-member, Dash & Aux Dials, Seats tailgate parts Rear Lights, Alloys, Hubs, Calipers, Disc's, Bumpers, Grilles etc...

Is there anything else we may have missed...

All comments welcome - with helpful advise - and anyone with parts knocking about please let me or Matt (User Name autohausdolby) know Please...

Cheers guys... Really looking forward to seeing this take shape...

Who Know it Might Make Me Wanna Upgrade My Car More... (Better not tell her in doors or the bank manager...)

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

When you say bog standard avant do you mean a front wheel drive ? if you do then I would forget it and at very least start with a quattro , it would save so much work .

Comment

Good luck is the first thing that comes to mind!
      Some seriously rare NLA parts would be needed.
      By the time he is done, it would probably work out cheaper to just buy a real one.
      Why LHD?

Comment

Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
        When you say bog standard avant do you mean a front wheel drive ? if you do then I would forget it and at very least start with a quattro , it would save so much work .
        Yup agree here as the rear suspension will be VASTLY different, or at least start with a quattro as the b4 rear ends alot different.

Body:

front bumper
        underheadlight trims
        headlights
        grill
        badge
        sideskirts (same as avant but colour coded)
        side strims
        mirrors
        rear bumper
        rear boot lid flash

interior

clocks
        aux clocks
        steering wheel
        seats
        climate control
        door handles
        gear gaitor/gearknob (one part)
        headlining

engine

s2 engine compared to whatever you have
        wiring loom
        ecu
        turbo
        manifold
        inlet manifold
        air box
        maf
        intercooler
        crossmember
        gearbox
        possibly exhaust

brakes

front brakes
        rear brakes

misc

hubs
        shocks
        springs

probably more but thats a rough guide.

Comment

Originally posted by dest View Post
          By the time he is done, it would probably work out cheaper to just buy a real one.
          Why LHD?
          Think its so it looks more authentic LHD as most are.

and yes it would seriously be more cheaper to buy a complete car

Comment

Dont forget the rear tailgate handle is different

Comment

Why LHD?
              We know about the parts situ... But I love trying to source the impossable all part of the fun.. Matt just seems to love Hard To Do Stuff!!!

Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
              It is a Quattro..

We are thinking about buying a duff/shunted S2 Coupe and break it for some of the parts, engine, loom ECU etc...

sigpic

Comment

Dont forget the rear tailgate handle is different
                Matt has already ordered it...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Le S2 Audi View Post
                  It is a Quattro..

We are thinking about buying a duff/shunted S2 Coupe and break it for some of the parts, engine, loom ECU etc...
                  About the easiest thing you could do is buy dests avant and use that to source all the bits, what you don't need you'd make back some of the money. Would source a lot of bits i.e. engine and box as its a late model etc.

Its a good project but think costs will add up, keep us updated as i'm interested in this, I did have all the bits to do a rep but I never bothered in the end and sold some of the bits on.

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                    Yup agree here as the rear suspension will be VASTLY different, or at least start with a quattro as the b4 rear ends alot different.

Body:

headlights

interior;

gear gaitor/gearknob (one part)
                    headlining

engine;

gearbox

probably more but thats a rough guide.
                    Thanks Pete, so you are saying the RS2 parts listed above are different to the S2??

sigpic

Comment

Everyone loves a project, but to me its just pointless.
                      I would atleast use an S2 Avant as a base

Comment

Originally posted by Le S2 Audi View Post
                        Thanks Pete, so you are saying the RS2 parts listed above are different to the S2??
                        Yes plus probably others. If you need anymore info give me a shout.

@ dest - yours would make a good base

Comment

Why LHD?
                          Matt seems to like his LHD He has a MK2 Golf LHD and goes over to France alot..

Other than that I think it has something to do with LHD cars being more true to OE design and not hacked to make them RHD..

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                            @ dest - yours would make a good base
                            Not for me it wouldnt!
                            The only bits of an RS2 I like are seats, mirrors, and whats under the bonnet

Comment

This is the most hairbrained project ever! Harsh maybe, but it would be (miles) & easier to strip and restore a tatty LHD RS2 than try and convert an old shed. There must £20k's worth of parts to buy even secondhand.

Fair play for having the balls to try but I think this should be seriously reconsidered...

I don't mean to sound too harsh, just trying to inject some reality into the thread.

Also, it still wont' be worth RS2 money at the end of the day as it has not providence....

cheers,

Steve.
                              The Perfectionist
                              sigpic
                              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                              X