Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PaulJ
    replied
    so the new stainless channels were now added, hopefully this will give you an idea of what they look like, rusty strips just pulled out without much effort, rust cleaned up easily and sanded clean, When the trims are on the car and rusty they kind of distort with the rust but once clean sit on top of a radiator in the house (no wife so I get away with it :-) ) they come back into shape, Last pic all painted and waiting to go back on
    Paul
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• PaulJ
    replied
    Hi All
    Does this look familiar to everyone, hopefully there is a picture attached
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 80Quattro
    replied
    Surely it must be possible to reproduce these in something similar to the original rubber with a channel made out of either a suitable extruded plastic or stainless? It would require a complete, undamaged set to start from and a company capable of producing them. I'd be willing to invest capital to get something put into production. It's madness that we're having to spend €1000 on a set of these which will rust just like the originals, that money could be much better spent on producing something better.

Leave a comment:

• Ross
    replied
    Originally posted by newsh View Post
    You can't sell it now mate, it's your pension fund
    Too true! Or perhaps it could become a 911 fund

I have dabbled with the idea of free'ing up my driveway and some capital and moving it on. But then I have to get it partially sorted to do that, in which case why not go all the way. At the very least I want to get all the parts together to restore it, I have a bunch of parts sat in Sonic's garage, I'm in need of front wings and these damned lower door trims.

I'd be really interested in a solution like PaulJ - modifying existing sets so they last a hell of a lot longer! Any change of getting more channels made up as part of a group buy??

Leave a comment:

• riche164
    replied
    Good to hear it worked thought about cleaning the rails and bonding them into the trim with tec 7 it's worth a try !!!

Leave a comment:

• A80Avant
    replied
    Nice solution

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• PaulJ
    replied
    Like you I struggled to get new trims so removed all the rusty crap from the old ones and got new 316 stainless channels made by one of the local fabrication companies and bonded them in with Sika Carobond, they look perfect and wont have to bother about them rusting ever again

Leave a comment:

• newsh
    replied
    Originally posted by Ross View Post
    Argh.... looks like I'll be putting about £1k to Audi Tradition then? No more time to wait, I need to get the car sorted. Or sell it to someone to sort it.

You can't sell it now mate, it's your pension fund

Leave a comment:

• Ross
    replied
    Argh.... looks like I'll be putting about £1k to Audi Tradition then? No more time to wait, I need to get the car sorted. Or sell it to someone to sort it.

Leave a comment:

• fbatwork
    replied
    And then dare to dream that we can get them for the S2/Coupe...!

Leave a comment:

• aronmatic2
    replied
    Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
    It's a shame Aron that nothing good came out of all your hard work. I was one of the lucky ones getting the last few remaining original trims for my car

I had no more knowledge to finish this product. my life is turned a little bit, i have to focus some other things.
    Maybe aRtiS can finish it. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• A80Avant
    replied
    It's a shame Aron that nothing good came out of all your hard work. I was one of the lucky ones getting the last few remaining original trims for my car

Leave a comment:

• aronmatic2
    replied
    Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
    Let's see what will be faster, me selling the car or the trims being made!
    I think you know the answer

I stoped with the project after 3 years from start. I put 3 years to the garbage. We are not beginers.

Leave a comment:

• A80Avant
    replied
    Let's see what will be faster, me selling the car or the trims being made!

Leave a comment:

• riche164
    replied
    Trims

Jeasus these fu#king things have being going on for ever the man that can actually make a good set of these will deserve a Nobel prize !!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X