My Audi RS2 sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you guys

Thanks, Kroegarn. The lid is also new. There is also pressure in the system.
    87/94´ RS2 sedan
    89´ VW Rallyegolf G60 --> 16vG60
    80´ Golf mk1 16v
    Caddy pickup 16v
    1957 Wedding Beetle

Comment

you said you recently replaced the thermostat? did you boil it on the stove before and check the opening temp? I´m asking because i learned the hard way that new thermostats doesn´t always open when they should, had tho replace a new VAG-thermostat once because it opened at 105 degrees.

The boiling at 94 deg is weird, it should not be possible to boil at that temperature, either blocked system or faulty sender?
      sigpic
      80 quattro 1984..... S2 sedan 1994

Zermatt silver......... Brilliant black

Comment

Originally posted by krazy3en View Post
        I have G11 coolant in the system, so it should´nt boil at well over 110 degrees under pressure, but mine does it at 94 degrees.
        Um...unless you are living in Denver Colorado USA (at roughly 5400 ft, 1650 m elevation), water does NOT boil at 94C. Water and coolant (Like G11) is even more difficult to boil than water SO I think you have another problem.

1. Your climate control temperature sensor is wacko
        2. You need to check your thermostat to make sure it isn't stuck shut (just for piece of mind - test in hot to boiling water with a thermostat).
        3. Fix your MFTS water temp sender so you get a proper water temp gauge reading, not off the climate control head.
        4. Make sure your pressure cap is operating properly
        5. And this is the big one, open up to the possibility that you have a head gasket leak. The "boiling" you see could be compressed gases coming from the combustion chamber, either during a compression or exhaust stroke.

Good luck.
        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Ignoring your initial question also. I like the cars listed in your signature.

Dream garage, any photos?

Excuse my bit of told you so, but to all those in RHD land, I've encouraged others to buy the B4 80q v6 saloons that come up from time to time on ebay and Pistonheads as they can be made great in the running gear or their appearance, or both, as ablely demonstrated by the photos in this thread.

I know I've posted this link below before, but still gets me everytime. Worthy of a repost imho. Somebody might have link to the photo of the green german/swiss B4 saloon shown parked at a 45 degree angle under the overhang of a big shed to complete the circle ?

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...hlight=audi+s2

Kind regards, ooh wait who's that at the door?, ooh it's the men in the white coats, people have been telling me to expect them. It was great while it lasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Trankelstein View Post
            you said you recently replaced the thermostat? did you boil it on the stove before and check the opening temp? I´m asking because i learned the hard way that new thermostats doesn´t always open when they should, had tho replace a new VAG-thermostat once because it opened at 105 degrees.

The boiling at 94 deg is weird, it should not be possible to boil at that temperature, either blocked system or faulty sender?
            Yes, it´s new. Again... First time (a year ago) I put in a new termostat, got this problem, took it out drilled a hole in the top for sirculation but no difference. It only took a bit longer time before it got hot. Then I removed it and took out the core and put the ring back in for having a seal face for the o-ring. Still the same problem. The car was put in storage since the season was over anyways, so I continued on another project (the rallyegolf). I bought a new thermostat this year and still the same. I´ve tested the new one and it starts to open at approx. 88degrees. I´ve also bought a BMW thermostat wich is suppose to open at 82 degrees, but I haven´t tried that one yet, though I bet it will be the same since no thermo give same result as any other.

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
            Um...unless you are living in Denver Colorado USA (at roughly 5400 ft, 1650 m elevation), water does NOT boil at 94C. Water and coolant (Like G11) is even more difficult to boil than water SO I think you have another problem.

1. Your climate control temperature sensor is wacko
            2. You need to check your thermostat to make sure it isn't stuck shut (just for piece of mind - test in hot to boiling water with a thermostat).
            3. Fix your MFTS water temp sender so you get a proper water temp gauge reading, not off the climate control head.
            4. Make sure your pressure cap is operating properly
            5. And this is the big one, open up to the possibility that you have a head gasket leak. The "boiling" you see could be compressed gases coming from the combustion chamber, either during a compression or exhaust stroke.

Good luck.
            Thanks.
            1. That might be true, Yes. I´m working on that one.
            2. Done
            3. I will. But... the fan starts at the exact temp as i should according to standard. And this matches the digits shown in the display for the climate control.
            4.Done
            5. The gasket is not likely since its brand new. But... the head might have a crack. But... When I stop the engine, I can feel the boiling in the hose from the head to the top of the radiator. It boils for some time and more intensivly when the sirculation have stopped and the temp raises even more. Until it cool down to about 91-92 degrees. If this was compression, it would not be bubbling that long with that amount of bubbles. I neither have pollution in water, oil or exhaust.

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. Keep em coming. I might still be missing something. Like... the solution
            87/94´ RS2 sedan
            80´ Golf mk1 16v
            Caddy pickup 16v
            1957 Wedding Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by David in Dublin View Post
              Ignoring your initial question also. I like the cars listed in your signature.

Dream garage, any photos?

Excuse my bit of told you so, but to all those in RHD land, I've encouraged others to buy the B4 80q v6 saloons that come up from time to time on ebay and Pistonheads as they can be made great in the running gear or their appearance, or both, as ablely demonstrated by the photos in this thread.

I know I've posted this link below before, but still gets me everytime. Worthy of a repost imho. Somebody might have link to the photo of the green german/swiss B4 saloon shown parked at a 45 degree angle under the overhang of a big shed to complete the circle ?

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...hlight=audi+s2

Kind regards, ooh wait who's that at the door?, ooh it's the men in the white coats, people have been telling me to expect them. It was great while it lasted.
              Thanks. I have a couple of pics. I´ll see if I can source them and put them here.

That is Fabians competition in that detailers thread. Nice car. I had an 80q saloon with the 2,8 V6. Great car. But I needed the closest one to the real thing
              87/94´ RS2 sedan
              80´ Golf mk1 16v
              Caddy pickup 16v
              1957 Wedding Beetle

Comment

RS4

Rallye VR6 with R32 seats

A6 2,5 TDi Quattro (never mind the *** in the picture )

Blau 80. Golf 1 16v
                87/94´ RS2 sedan
                80´ Golf mk1 16v
                Caddy pickup 16v
                1957 Wedding Beetle

Comment

Nice cars, but we also need pics of that hotpink AS5
                  Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

Not on the first date, fish
                    87/94´ RS2 sedan
                    80´ Golf mk1 16v
                    Caddy pickup 16v
                    1957 Wedding Beetle

Comment

Krazy3en,

Well spotted Fish.

Krazy3en, thanks for the photos, drooling and depressed all at the same time.

UrS4boy may post this up for you, and seeing as you have replaced a good few items and are keen to sort this cooling issue I'll throw this in even though you may have taken it into account / be aware of it already.

It is my understanding that the thermostat should go in a particular way, i.e. it should be orientated the right way round and also I think the workshop mannual shows what postion it should be rotated to also. Not sure if these two points are critical, but as I say in your case having them correct will eliminate those aspects of the cooling system as a source of the problem.

Hope that's not too wordy.

Kind regards.
                      Last edited by macspring; 14 June 2011, 21:24.

Comment

Thanks

Yes, the thermostat is installed the right way. And even if it wasn´t, the problem would have disappered when I removed the core of it (drove without thermostat)
                        87/94´ RS2 sedan
                        80´ Golf mk1 16v
                        Caddy pickup 16v
                        1957 Wedding Beetle

Comment

Had a friend over the other day with his (R)S2 Sedan with 600hp ADU and just had to stage a photo. Crappy iPhone 3GS camera

Also, I took my son for the first ride with the 16v Mk1 the other day.
                          87/94´ RS2 sedan
                          80´ Golf mk1 16v
                          Caddy pickup 16v
                          1957 Wedding Beetle

Comment

great!
                            rs2 sedan color ir black metalic?

Comment

Not metallic
                              87/94´ RS2 sedan
                              80´ Golf mk1 16v
                              Caddy pickup 16v
                              1957 Wedding Beetle

Comment

can you please post more photos of the rs2 sedans???? as many as possible maybe?

how do you install the rs2 avant rear seats to the sedan?

also are all parts a direct swap from the avant? fuel tank, diff, suspension etc...

also are all these conversions done with a competition or any quattro as a starting point?

Comment

Working...
                                X