No announcement yet.

Not enjoying the new forum one bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think its just a matter of getting to used to new style and in some time everyone of us will forget how was it before.

Comment

I'm not a big contributor, but I used to check in fairly often. I hate to be critical because people have volunteered their free time to make these improvements..but.. The text has definitely shrunk, and I cant believe more people haven' commented on that. Its near impossible to read on desktop.

Comment

Haven't logged in much recently, but don't have any problem with the new layout and got answers to two questions raised in the past week or so. Messaging and notifications seem to work fine and like the white text on dark grey. No problems here and just glad that this forum exists, a great help when you need it...

Comment

Just answered macsprings reply to my post in his UrS boot carpet post and after uploading three Dodge photos, and then setting them up to post full size (Not thumbs), the website locked up on me.

FK this noise!!
          RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by niall4313
            I'm not a big contributor, but I used to check in fairly often. I hate to be critical because people have volunteered their free time to make these improvements..but.. The text has definitely shrunk, and I cant believe more people haven' commented on that. Its near impossible to read on desktop.
            Have you tried holding down the Ctrl key and scrolling to zoom text? It works for most websites.
            Assuming you're on PC, I don't know how to do it on Mac.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69

Yep, it's not quite as polished as something like IPS, but it is working nicely IMHO.

Be better for my eyes if the font sizes went up a couple of notches though, very small, especially when composing. Even 14px would be wonderful, but 16px even better. 12px is far too small in this modern web...
              Have you tried holding down the Ctrl key and scrolling to zoom text? It works for most websites.
              Assuming you're on PC, I don't know how to do it on Mac.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

There is something badly wrong with the layout of this new vBulletin, very hard on the eyes, and it's not the color sheme. I use mobile most of the time, and the usability when posting pics is just veryvery bad. That makes me avoid posting, because don't wan't to use lots of time trying to get the post right.

Also the issue that the layout is different in horizontal and vertical mode is annoying. Searching for your own threads doesn't give the right chronological order as default. Can't see my total PM amount anywhere, unlimited..? Has to be, as it's not possible to delete a single post, only the whole thread.

Also last post don't lift the thread to the forum index side directly, only after a long delay, maybe an hour or so.

I just hope not too many leave this place for good. I can see that my own visiting on the forum is just ones ore twice a day and only fast check if something interesting. But it has been quite silent for a while now, not much happening...

Edit.

One more thing. There could be more threads showing in every area than just 10. At least 25 would propably be ok.
                Last edited by Thuppu; 1 September 2017, 13:25.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

I hate to be negative, so i will include a few suggestions with my grips. Overall i find the site much more difficult to read than before. Its lost that light and crisp feeling and gone all dark and dingy. I have a few suggestions..

- First issue is the colour scheme, the background colours are just too dark, make them lighter as per the old forum. Please try using the following colours,

Body from #333333 to #323438
                  Side bar from #444444 to #40454A
                  Background from #011f36 to #242b51

- Font size has gone down a step from 12 to 13. Bump that up a step, especially for the thread message text.

- Site now renders with an Aerial font, change that back to Verdana as per the old forum. <--- This i believe this is the biggest issue for legibility.

- Site width, it now renders in a column in the middle of the browser screen, most people have 16:9 aspect ratio screen so you are left with a narrow strip in the middle with everything crammed in. Expand it out to use more screen area as per the old site.

- Profile info on the left of the posts, make the username and thumbnail much bigger.

I know these sound petty vs the huge amount of back end work involved, but the end user experience is by far the most important. If they dont like it, they wont use it. ...but i appreciate all your hard work
                  91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                  93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                  94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

as an it person who has managed change on many an occasion the slighted change to view always brings a wave of discontent and a view that the general operation has changed. in reality its usually just a box moved here and there.

Having been paid, in some instances quite a lot, for managing this work i have nothing buy praise for those involved here. yes they must enjoy doing the tech stuff and whathaveyou but they certainly dont enjoy their time being used and being whined at about trivial items as a consequence

my view is simple. if you have a gripe, save it. replace it with a suggestion and reasoning. try to think about the bigger picture. not just yourself and your method of using the forum.

my view of the forum hasn't changed. lots of knowledged peeps who enjoy cars and sharing time and knowledge to help others. i dont feel the change has made people go away, the age and numbers of cars and the lack of evolution on this platform from our trailblazers is more where its at.

Comment

Discussion from all everyone giving their respective tuppence is healthy once it is polite. We're never all gonna agree with each other all or even some of the time.

I'm sure we'll get there in the end, it's early days in terms of the service life of this version of the Forum. The old one didn't change much in terms of appearance, as far as I can remember in the twelve years I've been on here. We're only two or so months into this new one.

A few more constructive comments with substantive information such as mcandmar's ( ) will help the lads get it fine tuned.

The point that that some people won't be able to hack / want to staying visiting / posting on the forum is valid, but an upside is that it may filter out the wheat from the chaff, and refine the active members back to the hardcore interested 'fanatics' as let's face it you need to be one to run an older S car at this stage, due to their age, and Audi's lack of assistance with the availability of parts for their heritage cars that they are so quick to wheel out at every press launch of their new models.

Not sure on a PC, but on a Mac if you want the screen's content to be enlarged / zoomed but not go off the edge of the screen, press the following two buttons at the same time - "ctrl" & "+" and the screen will enlarge. To reduce it back in size and reverse the effect press "ctrl" & "-". Try it, it may help as an instant band-aid fix.

Comment

Please continue with us, it will take some time to iron out the creases in how the forum displays. Sonic is the more proficient at getting the styling right and MikQuattro has also offered his help too, unfortunately we have limited time. As macspring says above you can increase the font size by using the accessibility shortcuts in your browers / zoom settings using ctrl + to increase the display size.

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                        I mostly use Tapatalk
                        The main problem with that is that the PM inbox/sent doesn't appear in the drop down menu.
                        I'll add it to the back log

With regards the colours given the feedback we had we went with the imperfect option of the interim style. You can change the style on the bottom left of the page to a different style of your choosing. We will be working to improve it further.

For constructive suggestions or assistance in making changes we would welcome help. we do have a backlog of items to fix that will take a while to get right.
                        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I have increased the font size on the posts, it will take more work to increase across the site
                          Greg

Comment

Still very small on mobile, and especially when composing.

I don't think having to use accessibility tools to fix a site is long-term good

Plus, doesn't work on mobile (I'm a web developer and have no problems with eyesight, and am only 40!)

Comment

from my point of view,I'm more fan of the old forum! Since it's changed, I'm no longer daily on the forum .sorry admins.......
                              audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
                              TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
                              AEM W/M injection

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                                Still very small on mobile, and especially when composing.

I don't think having to use accessibility tools to fix a site is long-term good

Plus, doesn't work on mobile (I'm a web developer and have no problems with eyesight, and am only 40!)
                                I agree we dont want to use as a "fix" more an interim measure. Would you be able to assist on updating the site styling?
                                Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X