Boost Hoses - ABY vs 3B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost Hoses - ABY vs 3B

I'm doing an AAN swap into my B4 and am trying to figure out which set of hoses I'll need.

I have an EFR 6258 and am using a 3B intake setup. Also have a 3b crossover pipe and intercooler.

The 3b and ABY hose sets appear to have the same diameters primarily:

I can't think of what physically is different between the two engines that would require different hose sets.

since the ABY never came over here, and the 3B only came over in the 200, I have no ability to test fit or measure someone else's setup

thanks
    Last edited by Grillage; 12 August 2018, 15:10.
    1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
    1995 90
    2011 A4 Avant
    1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Diameter from the hoses should not differ a lot but the crossmember on Aby and 3b has another angle for the intercooler hose. The n75 has a different location and blowoff wave is another location.. But you won't be using that one so you need to plug a hole. The intake pipe to to the throttle body is 2 piece on 3b and one piece on Aby. And you will be using an adaptor for the efr to the exhaust manifold or a different manifold? Kinda hose dilema as the turbo is bigger than the Standart and the hoses will barely fit the turbo.

Comment

Would I be better off with a set of 3B or ABY to start?
      1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
      1995 90
      2011 A4 Avant
      1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

its not easy to answer. if your using a custom adapter or a different manifold it will shift the turbo so that the hoses will not fit.

Comment

Use the stock (ABY/3B)throttle body hose, the silicon ones blow off.
          Plumb the cross member to the charge pipe with off the shelf silicon, a short straight bit to join the short metal pipe to the charge pipe and a slightly longer bit from there to the IC. Or ditch the short metal pipe and use a long 45 deg bend, or the ABY hose. ( I used the ABY hose but I had an RS2 IC).
          MAF to turbo hose will depend on the size of your turbo inlet, is this the same as the K24?
          This just leaves the turbo to IC hose, either ABY or 3B should work, again depending on the turbo outlet size.
          If you’re going to fit a diverter valve, rather than blow off, the 3B hose routes this back in facing the compressor wheel, which I reckon is good. You need a 90 deg plastic elbow to get round the corner.
          ABY style DV comes in the side.
          You can use generic stuff for the ISV.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys - It's a Wagner EM

the EFR intake is 63.25mm OD
            Last edited by Grillage; 13 August 2018, 11:58.
            1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
            1995 90
            2011 A4 Avant
            1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

You mean a Wagner EM?
              That’s a 3B IM (Inlet Mani)

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic