Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New E10 petrol, does this work ok on our cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To remove the ethanol from petrol.
    Ethanol is hydrophilic (loves water)

Almost fill a large clear container with petrol.
    Add a litre of water.
    Shake it up and leave overnight.
    The water will absorb the ethanol and sink to the bottom.
    Pour off the petrol (or syphon the water out)
    Use petrol in historic vehicle.
    Use ethanol / water mix to clean windows or make margaritas (jk I’m sure this is a bad idea)

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post

Have you tried octane booster? I bet the car would fly.
      Yes it certainly makes an improvement

Sent from my Nokia 4.2 using Tapatalk

1994 Indigo Blue S2 coupe
      1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
      2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
      1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

I'd had to stick £5 worth of E10 in the S2 the other day as I was middle of nowhere and on fumes etc..
        anyway I used it to get to Tesco. She ran like crap revs all over the shop and yo yo boosting... Really not pleasant..
        PIt £30 of super in and by the end of the road the car was back to normal, like someone flicked a switch... That's my lesson learned.

Comment

I just had my first nasty ethanol experience.
          On my 2005 KTM 450 exc.
          Took it for MOT, running rough, got it home pilot jet blocked, weird sticky brown stuff a bit like toffee in the carb, doesn’t dissolve easily in carb cleaner, hot water works better.
          The petrol tap is knackered too, the reserve extension tube has rotted through and the filters have gone sticky.
          Also the pipe that runs from petcock to carb, if you pinch it tries to stick together.
          Floats and needle look ok.
          I’ve cleaned everything and ordered a new fuel pipe, petcock and idle mixture adjuster set with its tiny O ring. The float bowl I had to pour boiling water into. Thank god it’s only one carb.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I just had my first nasty ethanol experience.
            On my 2005 KTM 450 exc.
            Took it for MOT, running rough, got it home pilot jet blocked, weird sticky brown stuff a bit like toffee in the carb, doesn’t dissolve easily in carb cleaner, hot water works better.
            The petrol tap is knackered too, the reserve extension tube has rotted through and the filters have gone sticky.
            Also the pipe that runs from petcock to carb, if you pinch it tries to stick together.
            Floats and needle look ok.
            I’ve cleaned everything and ordered a new fuel pipe, petcock and idle mixture adjuster set with its tiny O ring. The float bowl I had to pour boiling water into. Thank god it’s only one carb.
            That's not great to hear at all . I have two bikes, one of them an old classic AJS so they sometimes sit for long periods between runs.
            1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
            2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
            1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

Originally posted by YELL MAN View Post

That's not great to hear at all . I have two bikes, one of them an old classic AJS so they sometimes sit for long periods between runs.
              Parts arrived for the Ktm. Will see how it goes now.
              I have a ‘52 Triumph Thunderbird I need to have a look at, not ridden for 6 months, I’m going to inspect the float bowl before trying to start it.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

And an early R1 with carbs, been riding that though…

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Parts arrived for the Ktm. Will see how it goes now.
                  I have a ‘52 Triumph Thunderbird I need to have a look at, not ridden for 6 months, I’m going to inspect the float bowl before trying to start it.
                  Bet that Triumph is a blast to ride, I managed to persuade my uncle to relinquish his old '53 AJS 18S and did a restoration on her as he was never going to get her back on the road again. still have a few bits that need doing to her before I will be happy but at least she is on the road and being used.

It's fun trying to not stab the rear brake when changing gear, being used to modern bikes with a left foot shifter.
                  1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
                  2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
                  1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

To remove the ethanol from petrol.
                    Ethanol is hydrophilic (loves water)

Almost fill a large clear container with petrol.
                    Add a litre of water.
                    Shake it up and leave overnight.
                    The water will absorb the ethanol and sink to the bottom.
                    Pour off the petrol (or syphon the water out)
                    Use petrol in historic vehicle.
                    Use ethanol / water mix to clean windows or make margaritas (jk I’m sure this is a bad idea)
                    I have been looking into this, seems like an excellent way to remove the ethanol but it also reduces the octane of the petrol if what I have seen is correct. Also i hear that that some octane boosters actually contain ethanol in them, although I don't know if thats the case with all brands so I'm not sure what could be done to mitigate the loss of octane.
                    1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
                    2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
                    1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

I have been only using E85 petrol for the last 6 years in the S2. All the hoses in the car are from the year 1995. Fuel pump Bosch 044 in the tank and injectors have been changed for flow purposes. Fuel filter I have changed once during this time. I drive the car also in winter time, -25 and more.

Haven't had any problems (only some fun...?). Fuel pressure I monitor and nothing movement in there. Oil change I do in every 5000km. Just to be sure that lubrication stays good.

With ethanol content it is smart to warm up the oil (engine) from time to time, so that any excess ethanol evaporates from the oil.

In new Audi cars like these plug-in hybrid ones, that use E10 combined with electric have built in safety method to tell driver to heat up the engine when excess ethanol has been spotted in the oil. They do it by measuring oil level and when it rises it activates the warning. This would be good in these older ones, but would need some custom work.

In my other cars the 1966 beetle dual carb is the hardest one with E10, because of the carburetor and long parking times (not driven much).

Mika,

S2 Avant SleeperWagon 570hv and 765nm on 2,2bar/E85

Comment

Originally posted by Vauhtiveikko View Post
                        I have been only using E85 petrol for the last 6 years in the S2. All the hoses in the car are from the year 1995. Fuel pump Bosch 044 in the tank and injectors have been changed for flow purposes. Fuel filter I have changed once during this time. I drive the car also in winter time, -25 and more.

Haven't had any problems (only some fun...?). Fuel pressure I monitor and nothing movement in there. Oil change I do in every 5000km. Just to be sure that lubrication stays good.

With ethanol content it is smart to warm up the oil (engine) from time to time, so that any excess ethanol evaporates from the oil.

In new Audi cars like these plug-in hybrid ones, that use E10 combined with electric have built in safety method to tell driver to heat up the engine when excess ethanol has been spotted in the oil. They do it by measuring oil level and when it rises it activates the warning. This would be good in these older ones, but would need some custom work.

In my other cars the 1966 beetle dual carb is the hardest one with E10, because of the carburetor and long parking times (not driven much).

Mika,

That's reassuring to know, at least for the S2.
                        1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
                        2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
                        1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

So i drive a '91 GMC Sierra K1500 single cab a d I'm looking to upgrade my sound system. There isn't very much room for bigger magnets or anything like that but I want more volume and bass out of what I can get. https://autowikius.com/ I'm newer to the sound community and have no idea what I'm doing, Car Lighting Store I can install them on my own i just need help finding some speakers and an amp to push em that will make my playlist heard across my small town. can y'all help me out with that?

Comment

Youve asked a question about sound systems, posted a link to a company in a thread about E10 fuel. Your other post about headlamps was in a thread about sun roof panels. Are you spamming this forum with adverts for a company you have links to?

Comment

It’s a **** or a bot, ban it!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

There has been a bit of an out break recently

Comment

Working...
                                X