No announcement yet.

Animal feed trip to Ukraine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all update so made it to lviv dropped off feed on to Kviv . This military Wolf was the right kit to transition through ulkraine no doubt . She has had my back a few times at checkpoints and crossings. The UKr forces have afforded me easy passage and allowed me to get priority on diesel where it’s available . Never would’ve happened in a white van I can tell you !! But all good , though air raid sirens and loud explosions over night in Lviv on arrival tad un nerving but as everyone here just gets on with their lives .!! Nothing you can do about it so why worry.. incredible . DeD tanks and destruction everywhere nr kyiv , Bucha ad you’ve seen on tv but moral and people fantastic .. all the best Gaz
    Attached Files

Comment

Well done. Brave man you are.
      Are you going again?
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Not back yet , heading home end of the month .. and yes . I’m returning . Going back is the easy bit .. I’ll be staying out there ..

Comment

Got more ball's than me and that's saying something, well I use to just be too crazy to give a F. You sir are a brave man!
          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Just feel driven mate . Like a calling I dunno. Can’t really explain it .. but I need to help **** off this crazy tyranny in any way I can .. and there’s a lot of work rebuilding to do once over ..

Comment

On a negative I’ve fried the Garrett on this Wolf ! Blowing black smoke and struggling for power in higher gears .. she’ll get me home hopefully as all cruising back but needs upgrade and sorting

Comment

Turbo's are cheap enough for them, though do try and keep it from boosting as much as you can, once they start smoking as you describe their days are seriously numbered. I can't remember off the top of my head but could you simply adjust the wastegate rod so it's always open?

I know the thing will be gutless as hell but that last thing you need is to be stuck halfway across Europe with a snapped turbine shaft as that'll strand you, though all you can do is press on I guess.

If I was still in my 30's I'd be seriously considering helping in some way on the ground, I was seriously fit from working in the building trade, have medical training and good all round good practical skill's, I'd be the same, somethings got to be done.

Comment

Yeh I’ll do what I can to get her home there’s okay on shaft so pretty clear once she’s gathered speed she seems happy enough so I’ll go steady hopefully it’s not let me down .. I’ll prob go and straight swap upgrade it for more power as you say they are pretty gutless as standard ..

Comment

That's all you can do mate is do you best not to put any load on the turbo, and cruise, as long as it's not chucking out smoke then you should be okay.

Actually, thinking about it even if the worst happens and shaft does fail as long as you've got a few basic tools you could still keep her going.

The access to the turbo is so good on them you could pop the down pipe off turbine housing very quickly, and inlet hose off, remove the broken shaft half's, bypass the coldside completely so the engine isn't breathing via the compressor housing and block the the oil feed line by jamming a bolt into it. That'll would keep you moving. Not much fun but could be done in an hour by the side of the road, think you'd only need a 3/8" & 1/2" and maybe 9/16" spanners and a screwdriver to do it.

I've seen such bodggery on agricultural engines so I know that will work.

Comment

As long as it doesn’t start running on its own oil you should be ok! Happened to a mate on his sprinter, once it got going he couldn’t shut it down and it just ran full steam till it blew up :-(

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

Jeez don’t fancy that John ! ? well typically I’d want to use an upgrade kit on it to give a bit more power over the standard Garrett unit but Sod’s law there a global shortage on the turbo technics unit in these kits ! Bloody great .

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                          As long as it doesn’t start running on its own oil you should be ok! Happened to a mate on his sprinter, once it got going he couldn’t shut it down and it just ran full steam till it blew up :-(
                          If you think quickly enough that can be stopped, it is however terrifying, get your jumper off or something like a towel and into the air intake as fast as you can, while praying the engine doesn't throw a rod through the block at you, that'll shut it down. Had to do it once with a Transit, at 07.00 in the yard at work while everyone else was running around like headless chickens, they do make one hell of a racket though once they're eating their own oil. Instinct tells you it's not a good place to be.

Hope your getting on okay Gary. I'm not that up the options regarding upgrading those little Garrets, I did know there are kits from Turbo Technics but I've never actually seen one, is there any way of simply using a slightly bigger Garret and adjusting the fuel pump to suit it?
                          Last edited by K Simmonds; 27 May 2022, 07:20.

Comment

There's lots of options on ebay, including the cartridges, which is a easy swap on these engines -presume 300TDI?

If your housings are ok, could get you around the shortages, also a fair bit cheaper.

If you get desperate, I'm on a LR forum as well could ask there for you.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                              There's lots of options on ebay, including the cartridges, which is a easy swap on these engines -presume 300TDI?

If your housings are ok, could get you around the shortages, also a fair bit cheaper.

If you get desperate, I'm on a LR forum as well could ask there for you.

Good luck!
                              Yeah he's got a 300 TDI, as you say their super simple to work on.

I know a replacement stock core is cheap and simple to install as long as the turbine housing isn't cracked or the compressor has totally pooped itself, which is rare.

That's a job I've done in a couple of hours while taking time with cleanliness etc.

Comment

Yeh it’s the 300tdi . I can swap out cartridge or go hybrid Garrett I guess.. simple enough job , but thought if I’m changing it out I would rather a bit more grunt .. these things are not made for speed but I’d like to get up hills in another gear other than 3rd ! But just no kits around . Turbo technics best turbo by some margin apparently but casing supply issues from their foundry so no building going on .

Comment

Working...
                                X