• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
    .....they're really nice velour!

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post

You can't beat the smell of Velour in the morning... And it's really comfortable I think I actually preffer it to leather...

I guess I need to start a project thread as breaking the Corrado and fitting the engine to B3 is going to be my main focus for now.

Yes, I know everyone wants to see an RS2 restoration and that will happen. However I'm still waiting for a lift to be fitted to my workshop and the bodywork is going to take forever as there's various layers of rubbish paint to remove which is not at all exciting. The car is very staight and rust free which is great but the paint is all shot or at least not perfect so requires a full respray. Which on a car of this value is not a minor undertaking even though I'm in the trade, we're doing a Saphire Cosworth at the moment and I reckon 1000 man hours will have gone into the car once it's done. Though this a full bare shell resto as we found rust (it is a Ford) as well serious crash damage to correct. We do not do half a job!

The lift hold up is due to my fathers health and to some extent mine, he wants to be involved as he's paying for it and he's not long had major surgery on his back and that's after an opperation on his shoulder, he's doing great but is 75 so I have to bare with him. I've also spent the first half of this year battling depresion which is in part due to my left elbow always causing problems, though now I'm being more sensible this is less of a issue.

Plus I want my father to be involved, I'd like to get him into the RS2 restoration as well, he very nearly purchased one in the late 90's from an Audi dealership as we already had a B3 90 which he loved but went for a new TT instead but I think he really wanted the RS2, however my mothers input put pay to that. I can't recall the exact year but it when the first cars without a rear spoiler came out so a long time ago!

So the 80 project is actually ideal to keep me busy and most importantly happy. Breaking the Corrado as much as it sadens me will provide income and the B3 quattro will be great fun with a super torquey and 160bhp G60 motor. I'm not going to bodge anything but it's not go to be a nice shiny car, it's staight and rust free but the paint is dead but still sound so it can stay like that...

I'm much, more interested in performance, fun, budget and practicality. Hence stripping the car right out and going for very light weight which combined with a gearbox that's designed for no more than 125mph with nice close ratios will make for quite a rapid car, which I can use year round and park anywhere as no one in their right mind is going to try and nick it if I leave the body work alone.

I also have a set of steels with proper rally car tyres on them which makes it a hoot to drive in the snow, though I'll be leaving the car on the orginal set of optional extra BBS RA's for most of the time, hell they're worth nearly as much now as I paid for the entire car.

Didn't get much done yesterday in the end other than get my engine hoist back from a mate which took all morning and pushed my arm close to it's limits as it's really very heavy and takes a bit of lifting in and out of sprinter van even with two people. It's great bit of kit though being a Snapon one and it's now back in my workshop and easy to move about on a concrete floor.

I also spent a couple of hours servicing my welder after struggling a little with it the other day which also isn't very exciting, the wire feed was all over the place so I had to adjust the rollers inside and ended making a new tensioner out of an old cam belt idle rollor. Anyway it's working great again now and I can lay a weld on pretty much as well as with the new one at work so is ready for exhaust fabrication.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

I'm going to start a new thread in relevant section soon as this is now offically a project...

Comment

I'll be starting a project thread soon, however for time being I'm going to busy breaking the Corrado! I had no idea how much the parts are in demand so I'm busy dealing with PM's on the Corrado Forum as well as removing parts so I certainly made the right choice breaking the car!

Comment

Working...
          X