to get rid of the maf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to get rid of the maf

anyone know if its possible to get rid of the maf and use some sort of air sensor to replace it with .
    that way you won't have to keep cleaning the thing .
    surely there must be a way .how do after market ecu,s solve this problem ?

from what i know of,any kind of aftermarket ECU can get rid of the maf,since it is replaced by map sensor.
    VEMS is one that connects easily to the audi ecu connector

Comment

I have never cleaned my maf and it looks bright as a button, I sugest your maf is not cleaning itself.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
        I have never cleaned my maf and it looks bright as a button, I sugest your maf is not cleaning itself.
        i don't have a problem with my maf yet i just want to get rid of it if i can and make the car more reliable

Comment

Ah, ok

I heard there was a tuner, in this country I think, who maps Motronic useing the TPS instead of the Maf as a variable, so you get a throttle pedal that feels more like carbs, I'd like to try this myself but I don't know who it is that does it.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

can map using the tps or map sensor as stated above,i used a tps to map my mk1 16v on twin webbers

Comment

some clever person on here should know if this is possible it will save everybody a lot of trouble and money

Comment

Originally posted by volcano rs View Post
                it will save everybody a lot of trouble and money
                Not only trouble and money but also extra two strait conectors and some more space under bonnet.
                sigpic_________
                Rob

Comment

so if you have a seperate map sensor could that work ?.
                  whatever it is it only needs to measure volume of air . so there must be some sort of sensors available to do this job .

Comment

No, IIRC you just dont bother to measure the mass of air, you map it to the TPS instead. OK for a track car, spending a lot of time at WOT, maybe a bit juicy for a daily driver?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

No, IIRC you just dont bother to measure the mass of air, you map it to the TPS instead. OK for a track car, spending a lot of time at WOT, maybe a bit juicy for a daily driver?
                      so some sort of sensor after the intercooler to measure the volume is the way to go for every day use. come on you electronic wizards where are you ?

Comment

But this is what is so clever about the MAF it measures the Mass Air Flow, ie the weight of air passing through, so it automatically know that there's more oxygen in the air when its colder/denser. Just measuring the volume of air , like a mechanical CIS system and throwing in the fuel to match is not nearly as clever. You'd be going back in time. Simple aftermarket systems do without a MAF by guessing the air mass based on signals from the TPS (throttle opening) MAP sensor (manifold pressure/vacuum) and air temperature I believe. But I'm no expert by any means, its a shame Mihnea doesn't come here much any more.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

But this is what is so clever about the MAF it measures the Mass Air Flow, ie the weight of air passing through, so it automatically know that there's more oxygen in the air when its colder/denser. Just measuring the volume of air , like a mechanical CIS system and throwing in the fuel to match is not nearly as clever. You'd be going back in time. Simple aftermarket systems do without a MAF by guessing the air mass based on signals from the TPS (throttle opening) MAP sensor (manifold pressure/vacuum) and air temperature I believe. But I'm no expert by any means, its a shame Mihnea doesn't come here much any more.
                          i know what you are saying john .i'm sure there is some sort of sensor out there that would do the same job as maf .what i'm saying is could some sort of sensor be added to our ecu internally or externally to do the job of the maf ?

Comment

i don't think the maf measures the tempreture of air .i thought the water tempreture sensor determined when more fuel was required and gave the ecu the signal to rich and lean when it was cold .i'm cr*p at electrics

Comment

I know Gotech does away with the MAF and some other sensors and various bits of vacuum pipe work.
                              If you want more info etc Id give Jamie or Mark at Jamsport a call, they are the main uk dealers in Northampton 01604 755529 (Tell him Martyn sent you )

Comment

Working...
                              X