to get rid of the maf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dest View Post
    I know Gotech does away with the MAF and some other sensors and various bits of vacuum pipe work.
    If you want more info etc Id give Jamie or Mark at Jamsport a call, they are the main uk dealers in Northampton 01604 755529 (Tell him Martyn sent you )
    thanks martyn i'll give them a call

Comment

Originally posted by volcano rs View Post
      i don't think the maf measures the tempreture of air
      No, it measure the Mass. Mass Air Flow M A F

If the air is colder its denser, so it weighs more (has more mass). So it measures the Mass, irrespective of temperature.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
        No, it measure the Mass. Mass Air Flow M A F

If the air is colder its denser, so it weighs more (has more mass). So it measures the Mass, irrespective of temperature.
        i see what you mean

Comment

Originally posted by volcano rs View Post
          i see what you mean
          Kewl

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

The MAF has built-in temperature compensation so that it produces a voltage that determines the MASS of air flowing through it.

The aftermarket systems don't generally use MAF as stated already - they use a MAP sensor (to give manifold pressure) along with TPS and IAT information in order to ESTIMATE the mass of air coming into the engine at any given point on the boost profile and throttle openings.

The MAF gets lots of bad press but its darn clever. The only downside is the small restriction it adds to the air intake and the fact that its accuracy slowly degrades over time - they need recalibrated or renewed every once in a while.

The reason the MAF is not often found on aftermarket systems is that component suppliers like Bosch are very secretive about publishing MAF output curves and this makes it impossible for the aftermarket to use.

The use of MAP, TPS & IAT is thoroughly generic across all engine types and sizes so that is why I believe it is favoured by the aftermarket systems....

Paul
            Paul Nugent
            Webmaster http://S2central.net
            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

problematic things with maf include.

dirty wire means an off reading as the dirt insulates.
              size of maf is generally spot on for standard turbo and pressures but not larger or much more pressure.

ive seen many a maf blow on subarus because of increased boost pressure.
              ive cleaned a fair few ford mafs with a cut down brush and carb cleaner.

At first i had the maf in after mapping the vems due to pipe sizes. when i removed it i felt the difference straigh away. thats pure restriction value only.

a perfect power smt6 will do the maf to map conversion but whyb spend 300 or so when 500 will get you a full ECU.

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                problematic things with maf include.

dirty wire means an off reading as the dirt insulates.
                size of maf is generally spot on for standard turbo and pressures but not larger or much more pressure.

ive seen many a maf blow on subarus because of increased boost pressure.
                ive cleaned a fair few ford mafs with a cut down brush and carb cleaner.

At first i had the maf in after mapping the vems due to pipe sizes. when i removed it i felt the difference straigh away. thats pure restriction value only.

a perfect power smt6 will do the maf to map conversion but whyb spend 300 or so when 500 will get you a full ECU.
                good point if it costs that much to modify you might as well buy an aftermarket ecu

Comment

Has anyone used this item ?
                  Looks like it can do the job for removing the MAF from the car.

http://www.turbo-garage.com.ua/item....mulator&part=0

If Minhea Wher here he'd tell us.
                  Why did minhea leave us ?

S2 Coupe fully built.
                  10.9 1/4mile 0-100 in 3.5secs
                  Precision 6262 turbo
                  The Green Monster

Comment

you can also contact PK-Motorsport, so far i know, most of his High HP conversions running with OEM Motronic and without MAF...

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                      The aftermarket systems don't generally use MAF as stated already - they use a MAP sensor (to give manifold pressure) along with TPS and IAT information in order to ESTIMATE the mass of air coming into the engine at any given point on the boost profile and throttle openings.

The use of MAP, TPS & IAT is thoroughly generic across all engine types and sizes so that is why I believe it is favoured by the aftermarket systems....
                      Paul
                      the aftermarket compensate the not so good accurency for reading Air Mass with the wide band Lambda. So you get MAP, TPS, IAT and Wide band so the fuel is correct all the time.

With this equipment is a system with MAF better than the other (in every way)?
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

i contacted a company yesterday who can get rid of the maf and use tps and all that but the cost was about £700 for that you might as well buy an aftermarket ecu.its deffinetly something worth doing if its cheap enough.

Comment

i think albert used an smt-6 to run witout the maf a while
                          ABT C5 Lord Of The Rings
                          2004 1/4 Mile ET 12.00 191Km/h @1,5Bar
                          2009 1/4 Mile ET 11.92 213Km/h @ 1,5Bar 437WHp
                          2010 1/4 Mile ET 11.45 110Km/h @ 1,5Bar 437Whp
                          kostic.nu

Comment

Over here in the states a guy named Tony Chick does mafless motronic tuning up to 450ish whp. http://www.eplabs.net/
                            Austin
                            1992 urs4 1991 200 20v avant 1990 90q 20v

Comment

Originally posted by yodasfro View Post
                              Over here in the states a guy named Tony Chick does mafless motronic tuning up to 450ish whp. http://www.eplabs.net/
                              Over In the States thers a company that doesnt return emails ....

Maybe they dont want to share the knowledge - cant blame them.
                              at least return a e mail

S2 Coupe fully built.
                              10.9 1/4mile 0-100 in 3.5secs
                              Precision 6262 turbo
                              The Green Monster

Comment

Originally posted by Faheemo View Post
                                Over In the States thers a company that doesnt return emails ....

Maybe they dont want to share the knowledge - cant blame them.
                                at least return a e mail
                                It's not just you i've read on a few forums they wont share how they do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X