Real world performance comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real world performance comparison

I thought it might be quite interesting for those with performance measuring devices to post up times and car specs so we can compare real world data. We all know that 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are improved by big power but that doesn't tell the whole story... To keep things on the right side of the dibble something like 30-60 in 2nd is a good real world metric IMO.

To start things off, my k24 S2 with c.300bhp will do it in 3.1s and a B5 S4 with c.350bhp will do it in 2.7s with just a driver on board. All measured off a 5Hz GPS data logger.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Blast I sold my G-Tech

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Can I assume you are launching in 1st and changing gear just before 30mph on WOT? If so I'll have a little play later today.
      UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

No, this is a full range run in 2nd from 15/20mph up to the rev limiter. This enables otehr metrics to be measured. The easiest thing is to get the free performance box software for GPS data and use thier analysing tool.
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

OK so pretty much how I would do a power run on the gtec. Cool will post some results later this weekend.
          UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Yeah, that's what I use the runs for too
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

S6 Avant weighing in @ 1720kg with K24 stg1 head, 3" zorst and one of the chips I'm testing with standard AAN cams.

3.27secs 30-60mph on Gtech
              Also measured 214hp and 249tq on same second gear pull.
              UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Nice, stage 1 head will be worth a bit there. Guessing power is in the 290-300bhp mark on the rollers with that setup?

Best thing to compare power is to take max mass.acc.vel for the run, i.e. power at the wheels from an output file. This would remove all guesses except the weight from the equation.
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Out of range

My 3B series 2 will not do 60 in 2nd so how about something we can all do such as 30 to 70mph in 3rd.
                  1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
                  2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
                  2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

Still on the 01E gearbox then? 3rd might be a better then as you say, 2nd in an S2 is about 110rpm/mph based on 7400rpm/66mph off the GPS.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

30mph in 2nd gear means approx 3200rpm. A stock RS2 has full boost at approx 4300rpm (approx 40mph) in 2nd, so they suffer from low boost between 30 and 40mph.
                      Would be interesting to see 40-60mph times instead, or 60-80mph or 60-90mph times in 3rd.

That aside, here are 30-60mph times from some of the cars that I have tested:

My RS2 on E85 fuel: 2.25s (running too rich, bogging) 1619kg w/ driver
                      Stock RS2: 3.14s (1747kg w/ driver/passenger)
                      Remapped RS2: 2.95s (1747kg)
                      Stock B6 A4 Quattro 1.8T: 4.84s (1666kg w/driver)
                      BSR software B6 A4 Quattro 1.8T: 4.15s (1666kg)
                      Mini Cooper S: 4.64s (1332kg w/passenger)
                      Audi S6+ (V8 350hp) with stock airbox/filter: 3.49s (1898kg w/passenger)
                      Audi s6+ (V8 350hp) with cone filter: 3.71s (1898kg w/passenger)
                      My Golf 2 with 2L 8v on E85: 3.9s (1010kg w/driver)
                      Last edited by EspenW; 28 February 2009, 13:58.
                      1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
                      1994 80E Avant
                      1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

That's the whole point tho. On boost, larger turbos are faster but 30mph is a typical starting point to overtake say a truck or slower car, thus this is more 'real 'world. Good to see that the Golf holds its own in those numbers. Love the old Golfs.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by 20Vcqdriver View Post
                          My 3B series 2 will not do 60 in 2nd so how about something we can all do such as 30 to 70mph in 3rd.
                          Then we need two sets of numbers from you for comparison: -

1. Plot what you can do in 2nd gear and then extrapolate up to 60MPH for an estimated 30-60 time (interesting to see what that is with lower gearing)

2. Change into 3rd and give us your genuine 30-60MPH time

@ Andy: What are you collecting the DPS data on matey? Are you collecting raw GPS data and then transferring it into the PerformanceBox software?

Cheers n

Si
                          Last edited by HPmuirt; 28 February 2009, 14:25.
                          95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
                          Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
                          With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

@ Si, see my rather length thread "Cheap Performance Meter". Basically, a simbian mobile phone, Racechrono software and a QStarz BT 818x 5Hz receiver. Total cost £50.
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
                              @ Si, see my rather length thread "Cheap Performance Meter". Basically, a simbian mobile phone, Racechrono software and a QStarz BT 818x 5Hz receiver. Total cost £50.
                              Ah OK, it is Symbian only so will not run on my BlackBerry, which is a shame as it has a GPS receiver built in. Oh well, back to work rather than nipping out for a 'blast to the shops'

Cheers n

Si
                              95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
                              Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
                              With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Working...
                              X