• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varia View Post
    Not really.

WUA should be WAU because:

1.digit Manufacturing Country W - Germany, WEST
    2.digit Manufacturer Code A - AUDI, V-VW
    3.digit Vehicle Type U - Passenger Car (Audi), W - Passenger Car (VW)
    As much as I understand:

first two digits "WA" mean country - Germany
    third digit "U" or "C" (for RS2) - Manufacturer

Vehicle Type are digits 7-8;
    In case of RS2 accordingly they are "8C"
    Audi RS2 600 hp
    Audi S2 1200 hp
    MB 230E '83
    https://www.facebook.com/ventracing.lv/

Comment

This is from an S2 Avant, it has been broken, so Im sure it is ok to post on here

WAUZZZ8CZRA078971

Comment

Let me say it again - there is NOTHING in European VINs that you can examine and say - that is an S2 - as opposed to an ordinary 80 or coupe. A few models like the UR, RS2, S6+ and other oddball cars have unique VINs, but everything else in Europe is just a flat VIN.

In Europe - you need to see the cars VIN sticker that also carries the engine, gearbox and model codes... Like an 8B3-039 is an S2 Coupe for example.

In the USA - there are 3 extra codes used to call out body variant and engine type etc when you see the VIN.
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by aRtiS View Post
          As much as I understand:

first two digits "WA" mean country - Germany
          third digit "U" or "C" (for RS2) - Manufacturer

Vehicle Type are digits 7-8;
          In case of RS2 accordingly they are "8C"
          How does then WUA fit into your logic?

Try to see the pattern:
          WAU - Audi
          WUA - Quattro Gmbh
          WPO - Porsche
          WAC - Audi-Porsche
          WBA - BMW
          WBS - BMW M GmbH
          WOL - Opel
          YV1 - Volvo (Y stands for Sweden)
          VF3 - Peugeot
          TRU - Audi Hungary

It seems logical, that the 1st letter stands for country and latter 2 stand for manufacturer.

"8C" in RS2 Vin code states that it's an Type 8C car(Manufacturers code for that body) Names like B4, B5 and P1 are common names for Audi B platform generations. You can say that S2 Avant/Limo is B4/8C and RS2 is P1/8C (S2 Coupe is Type89/B3 or 8B/B3). Both are Type 8C cars, but to differentiate RS2 from Regular B4 it was given code P1 (P should stand for Porsche)

Comment

I got very confused by all these damn codes when I started looking into it. I had to kind if invent some language to help me understand it better...

I use what I call the PLATFORM codes - as per the original A, B, C, D denomination from Audi... AA has since been added of course

AA = very small sized car
            A = small car
            B = medium
            C = large
            D = very large

So we have B1 for the 1st generation Audi 80 (from the 1970s)
            B2 for 2nd generation Audi 80 / 90 - includes URquattro
            B3 for 3rd generation Audi 80 / 90 - extends to Coupe and Cabrio of course
            B4 is 4th generation Audi 80 (from 1992 onwards) and this extends to Avant

Within each PLATFORM we have numerous MODEL codes within that...

The MODEL codes define the actual vehicle in terms of body shape, engine etc
            Only TWO digits of the model code get onto the VIN.

You need the family album to see all of these across the product family, but they all have the same format and some common structures... The common bit often gets loosely called the 'Typ' number by some folk - and you see it on parts sites too - which I am not a big fan off as it is sometimes inaccurate such as when people use 'Typ89' to describe a B3 Coupe - when in fact all the B3 Coupes have a MODEL code starting with 8B.

I have listed the model codes for S2 models on S2central.net many years ago.
            The model codes from B3 platform have a format of 8Bx xxx and the model codes from B4 are 8Cx xxx

Zoig is right that the RS2 officially got its own unique platform designation as 'P1' but its referenced by an ordinary looking Audi model code 8C5 7K9 that derives from B4 platform.

Exciting stuff innit ?
            Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Paul, I understand what you mean by getting confused I had to read it 3 times, and if I undserstand correctly, we basically meant the same thing(regarding the platform and model codes).
              What about the first 3 digits of the VIN code, what have you found out?

Comment

@Zoig - I think your explanation of the 1st three letters is fine... I remember there was confusion when I looked at it years ago - partly cos of the West Germany vs Germany thing which is failrly recent...

We were indeed pretty much saying the same thing about the codes - I just get rattled by the loose 'Typ' language that pops up sometimes incorrectly on part sites and other forums... That is why I went to some length to explain my logic of platform designation and model codes... and leave 'Typ' as some kind of inaccurate slang that is sometimes a platform or model code or maybe a wrong code !
                Paul Nugent

Comment

hi

I need detail of this vin

WAUZZZ81ZEA800483

anyone can help me ?

thanks ..

Comment

Originally posted by mr405 View Post
                    hi I need detail of this vin WAUZZZ81ZEA800483. anyone can help me ? thanks ..
                    Give us a bit of hint? Audi 50???? Built in 1984 at Ingolstadt.
                    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

A little hint - 81 stands for typ81 which is FWD Audi 80 (4000 in the USA).

P.S. Why does the USA flag show up on my profile constantly after removing it?
                      1994 Audi 80 Competition

Comment

Originally posted by Klobsters View Post
                        A little hint - 81 stands for typ81 which is FWD Audi 80 (4000 in the USA). P.S. Why does the USA flag show up on my profile constantly after removing it?
                        Good one. I had the check sum as the "8" not the correct "Z".

So its a late build 1984 Audi 80. That's all you'll get out of the VIN unless you get into the VAG system.

Comment

Originally posted by Klobsters View Post
                          P.S. Why does the USA flag show up on my profile constantly after removing it?
                          There are 2 flags, you set one and didn't remove the other.

I have done it for you
                          S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Interesting thread..as my coupe..originaly 2wd is listed as:B2 Platform, Audi Coupe including quattro variants (1981 - 1988), UR quattro (1980 - 1991) and Sport quattro (1984 - 1987)
                            This means...that the last 6 digits...are telling more about the car.
                            I wish i had an Sport Quattro i dont know about..lol

Comment

It's a 1984 80 quattro .. not sport quattro ..

I'm looking for engine code and other details ..

whats your idea about +800hp project .. which engine in better for that?

tnx

Comment

Originally posted by mr405 View Post
                                It's a 1984 80 quattro .. not sport quattro ..
                                I'm looking for engine code and other details .. whats your idea about +800hp project .. which engine in better for that? tnx
                                If you want more details, look the boot for a tag like the one below and then post up a photo of it:

Last edited by UrS4boy; 9 March 2013, 15:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X