• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All people ok?

What happened?

Whats the damage?
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Ouch. Everyone ok?
      Tell me that the drivers side wheel was the spare - directional tread in the wrong direction.
      sigpic
      A6 (C6) Allroad 3.0 tdi quattro
      181 VW Touran - Highline

Gone:
      A6 (C4) 2.5TDI Avant quattro- Ron Burgundy, Daily Hack
      '05 Mk5 GTI - Herself's Daily
      '90 Mk2 GTI 16v

Comment

• Yes thats the spare wheel, my lad was driving home early morning and nodded off, luckily at about 30MPH hit an island with a keep left sign and a post. He's fine but was shaken up. IC and X-member are toast, Oil cooler is in half. Think the sump is cracked. He drove it like this for a couple of miles after changing the wheel unfortunately so not sure if the engine is toast yet
        Need to bypass the oil cooler and fill it with oil, see if it rattles...

So I've just given him my new dagdag I picked up off Audinut tonight!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Enfield
          I don't believe you wanted to do that...
          Glad everyone is OK, a car can be replaced...
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• !!!!

That doesn't look good. Hopefully it can be saved.

Comment

• Bummer. Glad he's OK

Looks pretty repairable. I've got a sump if you need it
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Dude, not good but at least no ones hurt.

I have a bonnet you can have but will need spraying in to match the colour of your car... Its emerald green at the mo!

Comment

• Thanks for the comments and sympathy guys. We're going to have a go at repairing it, just need some time as I'm full on at the mo with work. I'll be in touch for parts though if it looks like we can save it! My main concern is that if it ran dry the mains and big ends will be shot..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Well I spent most of the day on the ol Avant, bodged a temporary repair on the sump with super sticky silicon and cardboard and got some oil in it (it was still dripping out but not as fast as I could pour it in) It started up fine and idled ok but the top end is a bit rattly and it didn't go away as it warmed up so now I'm not sure what's going on.. I expected the bottom end if anything but seems like the top end is noisy Weird. Spink was here when we started it and said it sounded like an engine that hasn't been run for a while but not too bad. I'm not so sure I would have thought if it was just dry tappets it would have shut up after a while but it didnt.
                    The other thing that was strange was that the rad fan kept going on and off, actually running when the ignition was switched off and stopping when switched on at one point but sort of cycling on and off as the car was running but still cold.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Just checked the timing in case the belt had slipped, all looks ok. Should have done that before really

Think I'm going to have a look at the cams..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• It's not a sticky tappit is it john?

Comment

• Originally posted by Christophski View Post
                          It's not a sticky tappit is it john?
                          It could be mate, I've got a feeling it had a noisy one before, haven't driven it for a while myself, seems loud though if it is just that.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• You could try starting it again today, I find sticky lifters free up better by going through a couple of heat cycles. It took three or four start and warm up cycles before a couple of mine shut up, mind you the engine hadn't been started for two years.

However if the cars been run with little or no oil it's normally the main bearings that cop it first, they can be quite heavily scored and still silent unfortunately. To avoid further damage I think I'd pull the sump off and check them as well as the crank out, I'd also take the cam cover off and pull and check the caps and journals one by one.

The lifters can be checked by turning the cam so the valves on the cylinder you looking at are fully closed and see if they can be depressed easily with a utensil that won't scratch anything. A duff one will obviously feel different to all the others, it could be that the top end noise is a lifter that's run dry and is now duff.

Good luck!!!
                            Last edited by K Simmonds; 15 December 2013, 12:34.
                            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Thanks, I need it!

Yes, sump has to come off anyway to be replaced so might as well go for it. Car is outside though so need to get more organised..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Me and the lad are wondering if anyone would like to buy this as a project or a donor car!

What do you think guys?

Repair it? I'm realy short of time to do this.
                                Sell it? As a project with pretty much all parts supplied, nice to think the old girl lives on.
                                Break it? Haven't go the time or energy to do this myself.
                                Sell it as a breaker or donor car?

Jobs to do..
                                Remove broken sump, inspect big end shells, fit replacement sump.
                                Replace oil cooler.
                                Work out why driver's side wheel is back in the arch and repair (car went up kerb and flat spotted the wheel so probably bent strut)
                                Repair end of chassis leg (we have the part)
                                Fit replacement bonnet.
                                Bolt it all back together.

The engine runs but was very tappety, the concensus is it will quieten down after a good run. It was fully rebuilt not long ago by Pete Berry. Runs Hoffer small hybrid and software, RS2 manifolds, Miltek 3" catback.

Since the manifolds, turbo and Miltek are worth a grand I reckon 2 grand would buy it.
                                Anyone interested?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X