New daily driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also found the source of my oil leak

What kind of idiot refits a gasket like this It was literally in 3 pieces, held together with silicone. A new gasket from Audi, a good clean and it seems to be staying dry. I'll probably get the engine steam cleaned as it's made a fair mess of it.
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

shocking the state i see some cars i have to repair!
      1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
      1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
      BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

As you can see from the pic below, the drivers seat on my car has had a very hard life!

I got a good quote from a local trimmer to repair it, but the grey leather they had was not a good match so it would have looked just as bad. Luckily I managed to find a complete S6 interior in the same colour, the drivers seat was nearly as bad as mine but the passenger seat was very good. So I stripped the back off the passenger seat and cleaned it with this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gliptone-L...item2c6610fa97

Until it looked like this

Then it was simply a case of removing my existing seat. giving the base a good clean and bolting on the new rear. The back rest adjuster is now on the wrong side, but as I'm a leftie, that's no bad thing.

The end result is amazing

Not only does it look 100% better it's much more comfortable too as the padding in the back rest is not as worn.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
          Andy,

What S6 discs? The C4 ones will be the 59.5mm total height whilst the A6 C4, even the quattro used the 46.5mm ones I believe.
          I see now why you were asking, there is not room to fit the S6 discs as the strut gets in the way

I need a bigger disc with the same hat height.
          sigpic

Comment

Does anybody else start to get nervous at this stage?!

Replacing the cam cover gasket didn't cure the oil leak so I've pulled the fron off the engine to replace the cam and crank seals. I've guessing the same ham fisted tosser that fitted the last cam cover gasket also fitted this, no wonder it won't hold oil

I figured I might as well do the cambelt and vibration damper whilst it's in bits, I think I dodged the bullet with the damper as it's cracked all the way round and they are known for failing and killing the engine
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
              I see now why you were asking, there is not room to fit the S6 discs as the strut gets in the way

I need a bigger disc with the same hat height.
              Just for reference the C5 S6 disc will fit, 322mm with a 46.5 hat height. Changed my mind about fitting the 4 pots though so they'll be up for sale soon.
              sigpic

Comment

Looking forward to seeing it when you've lowered it.

After you've sold the brake calipers, you might advise why you changed your mind ?

While you did find gasket bodges, it does mean that when you do it right, it is cured for not too much money.

Nice work on the seat.

Looking forward to further updates as an when they occur.

Thanks for sharing your work to date.

Kind regards.
                Last edited by macspring; 11 July 2018, 10:15.

Comment

Good work.
                  Audi A6 AEL 5cyl Quattro breaking.
                  Audi A5 3.0tdi Quattro Stage 2

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                    Does anybody else start to get nervous at this stage?!
                    Yeah, it has no spark plugs so obviously its running on magic

Its annoying finding stuff like that, at least you will have it sorted right for future peace of mind.
                    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Great work

Comment

I know this is supposed to be my sensible daily driver, but I can't resist meddleing with it Inspired by Raymors thread on Tdiclub ( now K7ERG's car ) I decided to do a top end rebuild. So I got a spare head, inlet mandfold, exhaust manifold and turbo for ÂŁ150 and set about rebuilding them all.

The aim was the improve efficiency and hopefully MPG and try to get the turbo spooling a little earlier. If you've ever driven a modern PD 1.9TDi you'll know that they produce boost virtually from idle, the AEL starts at 1500rpm, but really needs 2000rpm to go anywhere.

The turbo has been sent off for a re-build. I was hoping to be able to hybrid it with a smaller turbine wheel, but there's nothing 'off the shelf' that will fit, so it's just going to be standard.

Valves before

Cleaned and polished. The inlet valves were all bent so I've go a new set.

The head was sent to the machine shop for a skim and de-coke

I then set about port matching the manifolds

As well as matching the ports, I've cleaned up the inside of the ports too, mainly tried to smooth and blend rather that remove huge amouts of material.
                        This is before

And after

There was quite a bit step in the casting at the back of the valve, so that was blended out

I think the biggest gains will come from the exhaust manifold, from which I have removed quite a lot of material. As you can see the casting dimensions are poor, especially around the collector. I measured this before and after and the the outlet was 28% smaller than the inlet on the turbo!

This is the end result

EGR valve welded shut for good

The manifolds are done, the head still needs some work, then it's back to the machine shop for a hot tank clean before paint and re-assembly. Should be picking the turbo up this week too.
                        sigpic

Comment

looking good, what did you use to grind it? die grinder?

Comment

Great work as usual Andy.
                            What did you use to shape the manifold collector?
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Nice project, always liked these. I thought drivers and passenger seats were angled differently to kater for driving position, so couldn't be swapped? Or is it just the bases that are different?

Comment

An electric die grinder with a carbide burr for exhaust manifold, and 60 and 80 grit cartridge rolls/sanding bands for the head and inlet manifold.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X