Broken Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
    I'd look at converting to the later RS4 spec coilpacks which you can get for around £25ea.
    I did talk to my mechanic about this and he said it wasn't worth it as the old ones last a very long time and the conversion out weighs the cost anyway?
    Audi S6

Comment

Originally posted by Duffelcoat View Post
      I did talk to my mechanic about this and he said it wasn't worth it as the old ones last a very long time and the conversion out weighs the cost anyway?

Not £700 it doesn't!

This place was selling a set of 5 for £100 at GTi International. See my last post for a link to the loom required.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ne...item3f272de991
      sigpic
      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Made the conversion, easy peasy . Replacement coil packs are cheap too, good stuff
        1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
          Not £700 it doesn't!

This place was selling a set of 5 for £100 at GTi International. See my last post for a link to the loom required.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ne...item3f272de991
          I will look into it
          Audi S6

Comment

Conversion kit with coils on ebay £250 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stabzundsp...item20d81cb029

Takes 1 hour tops. Ideally you have to loose the 20vt Turbo logo cover, as newer coils won't appreciate being shut in with the heat. Unless you are planning to go BIG power in the future it's a no-brainer IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Thecrispynoodle View Post
              Conversion kit with coils on ebay £250. Takes 1 hour tops. Ideally you have to loose the 20vt Turbo logo cover, as newer coils won't appreciate being shut in with the heat. Unless you are planning to go BIG power in the future it's a no-brainer IMHO
              Agree. 270 Euros (£250) is a good price for a complete kit. EFI Express and Apikol in the US offer their kits for US$375 (slightly more).
              RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

The original OE AAN/ABY/ADU coils do last a long time. However, even £700 for five OE coils doesn't give you the complete picture. You still have the 351A two power output stages (POS) to consider as part of the package. They are probably in the order of £100 each, so a total of £900 plus labour, versus £250 for a 4.2L V8 red coil pack kit. The £650 difference will buy you a lot of coilpacks, e.g. 32 at the £100 for 5 rate. That is a lot of driving. Even if you bought 3 additional sets, that still leaves £350 to buy some fuel (or beer).

Last edited by UrS4boy; 23 September 2013, 21:54.
                RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Duffelcoat, glad for you that the car was intact, and the fault is not a "biggy".

Buy a set of the newer style of coils as suggested above.

Be wary of the current unknown fuel pump, maybe buy a 044 and installation kit for "stock", as you'll be in a corner when / your existing one gives up the ghost.

Might be worth seeing if it is original, the condition of the fittings may tell a tale.

Or checking with previous owners ?

Keep the second car always comes in handy.

Best regards.

Comment

We're doing the coil change on my lad's Avant, Alex (error404) is making us a loom and we've bought the coils from..

Clicky http://samtechperformance.co.uk/pres...roller=product

Thanks to driftin jo for the link.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

I did the coil change on my avant. Got the coils from a local motor factor for a good price and got the loom made and supplied by Alex. it looks OEM as its made from all genuine items that VW and Audi use and it is so easy to fit. It cost all in £300 tops. That is alot of spare coils you can buy if you insist on a bill of between £700 - £900.

Best thing is you dont have to be a mechanic to be able to fit these either. If you pull the old ones off yourself then you can easily fit this new setup on your own. I will guarantee it!

Comment

All the above makes sense, so am looking into the coil conversion, however, would something like this be a wate of time:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A6-SA...item2a318babd7

Apparantly standard replacement, but not Audi, price is for five,

I am guessing they might be crap or the wrong ones?
                        Audi S6

Comment

Also, if I get a coil conversion done, how reliable are the replacement coils?

Audi S6

Comment

I cant see the image in your link so I cant see but its defo worht having a word with Alex for the loom (Error 404) I found his to be cheapest place to get mine from even compared to the readily available ones on the market. Also I guess the coils are fairly good. Plenty of people run them on here with no issues and due to the price they are easy and cheap to replace. I have had mine on for 7 months and have no issues. They are similar to the ones on my girlfriends golf and they have been on for over 18 months with no issues....

Comment

All the above makes sense, so am looking into the coil conversion, however, would something like this be a wate of time:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A6-SA...item2a318babd7

Apparantly standard replacement, but not Audi, price is for five,

I am guessing they might be crap or the wrong ones?
                              You are in exactly the same position I was 1.5 years ago, except I had lost a power output stage channel and not a coil. If you hunt around the coils can be had new for about £90 and the POS units about £110. The design of the OEM system makes it very impractical to only replace each failed component one at a time, especially coils. It's a loom on the kitchen table with a soldering iron job. Because it's best replaced in it's entirety when you hit your first failure, that's 5 x £90 + 2 x £110 = £670!! Plus the aggro of rebuilding loom with the coils. I went with the up(?)grade option at about £275 and 10k on those coils so far no issues. Even if you proactively replace all 5 every couple of years it's only £100 for all 5. The design of the newer coils also supports a 5 minute roadside swap should one fail in situ. Rumour has it that the ignition dwell time on the OEM ecu is too high for the new coils which shortens their lifetime to 10-20k each but prj on this forum offers an ecu mod to address this which he could offer as part of a map tune I would guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Thecrispynoodle View Post
                                You are in exactly the same position I was 1.5 years ago, except I had lost a power output stage channel and not a coil. If you hunt around the coils can be had new for about £90 and the POS units about £110. The design of the OEM system makes it very impractical to only replace each failed component one at a time, especially coils. It's a loom on the kitchen table with a soldering iron job. Because it's best replaced in it's entirety when you hit your first failure, that's 5 x £90 + 2 x £110 = £670!! Plus the aggro of rebuilding loom with the coils. I went with the up(?)grade option at about £275 and 10k on those coils so far no issues. Even if you proactively replace all 5 every couple of years it's only £100 for all 5. The design of the newer coils also supports a 5 minute roadside swap should one fail in situ. Rumour has it that the ignition dwell time on the OEM ecu is too high for the new coils which shortens their lifetime to 10-20k each but prj on this forum offers an ecu mod to address this which he could offer as part of a map tune I would guess...
                                Thanks for all the advice, car is still with the garage,

They have swapped the coils from my S4 (C4) and the car has spark but still does not run,

I am liasing with the garage next week to look further...

Audi S6

Comment

Working...
                                X