No announcement yet.

Chris harris not a fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note to edit Harris... The Algarve Course Car (IN NE 3) was nearly 30 minutes quicker, not 30 seconds...
    85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
    93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

He fails to even mention the RS2, the super car beating estate that started the ball rolling with other manufacturers playing catch up.

Perhaps he captures the RS2 within in this paragraph.
      Quote: In the beginning we had the Quattro, big 'Q' and major all-weather pace. Then the rather terrible S2, then a whole generation of 4WD, pretty, usable, fast machines that were about as much fun as colonic irrigation: Unquote. He then moves on to the R8 and B7 RS4.

I've always been on the fence regards Chris Harris and reading this article I'd now like to share my opinion on the bloke. Chris, you’re a *ock
      Stuart
      B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Simmonds View Post
        I was taught a hard lesson many years ago at Castle Combe when the track instructor entered behind a gaggle of modified VAG stuff, including Ur quattros, trick golf GTi's and the odd S2 and, over ten laps, passed all but 2 of the cars....

He was in a Montego Estate 2.0l SL...

It demonstrated the value of understanding balance, finesse and skill over raw power married with limited talent.
        I've been fortunate to have experienced very similar myself. One of those Christmas presents from the wife with a day at Silverstone with track instructor. First couple of laps with him behind the wheel, giving feedback on the cars position on the track, and what you should be doing in order to have it there. Swapped over and done the biz with him guiding from the passenger seat. Last couple of laps we swapped over again and he scared the *hit out of me, terrorising other cars/ drivers on the track that had + 100/200 bhp advantage over the poor Peugeot 306 that we drove. Best part about it, the instructor had a glass eye.
        Stuart
        B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Originally posted by RustyNut View Post
          My neighbour knows Chris Harris very well, went to school with him etc. I think I'll see if I can arrange a meeting to ask a few questions?
          Have to say I like the reviews and videos he does. Would love to meet him. Only started the thread as a shame he singled out our cars as terrible

But as many have said doesn't matter a hoot what others think.

Comment

My youngest son said driving my s2 is like driving a fast elastic band.
            He drives an s2000 which I have to say looks really cool in my rear view mirror.:rolleye

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Simmonds View Post
              I was taught a hard lesson many years ago at Castle Combe when the track instructor entered behind a gaggle of modified VAG stuff, including Ur quattros, trick golf GTi's and the odd S2 and, over ten laps, passed all but 2 of the cars....

He was in a Montego Estate 2.0l SL...

It demonstrated the value of understanding balance, finesse and skill over raw power married with limited talent.
              I had a very similar experience at Brands Hatch but was on a bike. Track day on a Kawasaki 900cc Ninja thinking I was Barry Sheen and the instructor lapped all of us on a Honda CB500, skill and talent over power every time

Comment

Thing is you need to say something controversial to get noticed as a motoring journalist, which seems to mean say something bad about a good car or vice versa.
                Another point is, there is no qualifying criteria for being a motoring journalist in relation to your driving ability, so the car may be fine (if you know how to drive it) but it's You, Mr Harris that is the problem . Jeremy Clarkson is an example of this, if you can't jump in switch off traction control, floor it and it handles brilliantly, then it's a sh*t car!

Comment

I don't agree, it's like food, for example you have a favourite place you like to eat, to you it's the best thing in the world, but how can you really compare if you haven't experienced a multitude of different type of foods worldwide?

Motoring journalist have a lot more experience of food so they can make better judgement however it does leave them blind to the simple flavours of a dish

i.e to us as a forum we love the simply delights of the car but to others there are things we live with which they don't like and can get elsewhere in a different car.

Comment

I had an MG montego for quite a while.... very nicely balanced chassis even as stock.... did I just swear a lot?

Then the second head gasket in 20K put me right off them.

Comment

LMAO my uncle had a turbo Montego, didn't the police try to ban it because it was at the time too quick for their cars?

Comment

That and it was made of a Maxi floorpan cut and shut with a 12" section added to lengthen the wheelbase.

Safe they were not.... when you crashed it the seams came apart(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                          LMAO my uncle had a turbo Montego, didn't the police try to ban it because it was at the time too quick for their cars?
                          from mgowners club:

Heat dissipation was assisted by sodium filled stellite faced valves and the previously mentioned intercooler. The 1994 cc engine produced 1691 b/ft of torque @ 3500 rpm and the power was transferred to the roadwheels via a Honda 5 speed close ratio gearbox.
                          I'm not surprised! Haha.
                          1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

BEAST MODE!

Comment

Originally posted by Colesy View Post
                              Whiteline on the rear is a good start.
                              or even the B5 RS4 version is a cheap and very effective place to begin....

As for CH, I am a little surprised he doesn't respond to a couple of people asking why he doesn't like the "Stu"....

Comment

Jamo, your avatar mesmerises me and as a result I have failed to understand your response ^^^^^^^^^^, I must thank you however for disagreeing with my first ever post on the s2 forum

Comment

Working...
                                X