Need Speed - What car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johne View Post
    I have a 944 turbo and it just flies. It's 250hp seem so much more exciting than 270hp in the S2.

It's an easy move to take it from 250 to 350hp but the sills and wings do rust and the prices are starting to move so what you got for £5k a year ago will cost you £10k now and there aren't many of the late ones left on the road.

John
    It is now £15k+ for a really good one and those examples are becoming rare as rocking horse poo like you say. I would not bother with a rotten one for small money as I cannot do the fab work myself but what you say is why the 944 is a consideration. The handling, looks and possible power coupled with guaranteed appreciation mean it would never be a bad buy. It would also probably be a decent long drive car if I ever wanted to take it a distance. I can imagine 350bhp in one of these cars would be considerable.

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      Noble every day of the week
      Just the sort of early morning encouragement I need. Cheers Alex

Comment

Noble if you want a heavy dose of anti lack of horse power medication. Or possibly a 944 and get a friendly local to put an AAN engine in it so it sounds better.

Comment

Sell you back the S2 Only Joking! I love it too much

I had a 968 sport a couple of cars before the S2. Its obviously a different car to the 944 turbo, however I never really got on with the 968. I think you would also be disappointed with the soundtrack from the 4 pot.

I think I would go for a B5 RS4. Pure grunt from a great engine! and would be better suited to the roads around by you.

I do like the Noble, but think I would only buy one as a dedicated track car.

Comment

Originally posted by Cottis View Post
            So, only a comparatively short period of time has passed since I sold the S2 and as expected, there is now a huge BHP deficit in my life.

The reasons for selling are now well on the way to being resolved, so I need to start thinking about addressing this current power shortage. With any luck, before the end of this year I will have a garage again and it will need filling with something fast for sunny weekends.

I have narrowed it down to one of the following

Porsche 944 Turbo S
            B5 RS4
            Noble M12 GTO 3
            RS2

They are all great cars but I keep coming back to the Noble. Someone put me right and tell me I am insane for considering this. For out and out speed and handling, it really appeals and initial research suggests it would not be as problematic as it might first appear. Wouldn't mind sticking with 5cyl Audi but parts are becoming a real PITA which does come in to the reckoning.

Anyone have experience of the Noble or 944 turbo? I know a fair bit about both RS2 and RS4 and what to expect but have no experience of the other 2.
            Good choice on the Noble. My pistonheads garage recently had one. Best bang for buck performance car out there IMHO. Would be a great companion for an RS2 also. Goes without saying that both are highly tunable.

Comment

Originally posted by Teg View Post

I had a 968 sport a couple of cars before the S2. Its obviously a different car to the 944 turbo, however I never really got on with the 968. I think you would also be disappointed with the soundtrack from the 4 pot.
              I test drove the same and didn't get on with it either. Felt very heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonialNomad View Post
                I test drove the same and didn't get on with it either. Felt very heavy.
                The heavier 968 does not appeal to me at all but I do think a well tuned 944 Turbo would be a fabulous car from a drivers point of view. I need to have a go in one but the Noble is looking more and more likely. Power to weight ratio is bang on.

I previously had the S2 because for the money, I felt it was about as much bang that you could get for your buck. I now have a little more buck, so want some more bang. Noble seems to be getting the votes for that.

Comment

The heavier 968 does not appeal to me at all but I do think a well tuned 944 Turbo would be a fabulous car from a drivers point of view. I need to have a go in one but the Noble is looking more and more likely. Power to weight ratio is bang on.

I previously had the S2 because for the money, I felt it was about as much bang that you could get for your buck. I now have a little more buck, so want some more bang. Noble seems to be getting the votes for that.
                  Another vote for the Noble...

The 944 turbo, whilst a really nice car to drive, in standard trim didn't seem all that quick to me. Loved the handling - more fun than the S2, but, I don't know, bit too much lag, not a great engine note... 350 would see it on the way to huge amounts of fun I agree, but prices are really creeping up on them...
                  Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                  S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                  '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

I'm not sure 315bhp is adequate for me anymore and I don't want/need to use it for camping. I have a diesel for easy distance driving. The RS2 is still very tempting though but we are all biased and I am trying not to be seduced by 20VT still ha ha. That in itelf is difficult. They really are such a great engine.
                    When I had my RS2 I also had an 80 Avant TDi. don't have a sporty and non sporty version of the same car, so maybe that cancels the RS4 out depending on the diesel run around. Although the RS2 was a much better car it felt a lot like the same thing from the inside so made the RS feel less special, if that makes sense.

Also I think, good as they are, the RS4 is a bit normal and so there maybe less of a sense of occasion when you use it compared to the Noble for example.

Comment

+1 for becoming a member of the Nobility...
                      Funny enough, one pulled up behind me in Esso garage in Shortlands/Bromley Saturday morning.
                      Nice.

Comment

The M12, RS2 and SLK55 would be my choices for an all-rounder garage.

Merc SLK55 AMG is worth considering for the hard panel convertible roof and engine note although the Noble will still leave it for dead on handling. AMG let themselves down a little on that but it depends on what you are looking for in the driving experience, I guess.

Comment

Just 'trolling' now, so don't take this post too seriously.

Wasn't it a Noble that broke down on Top Gear when Hammond was driving it to in Italy / Europe. The gearbox developed an issue.

An RS2 should give you your money back in a number of years if you go to sell it.
                          Last edited by macspring; 11 May 2015, 15:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Teg View Post

I think I would go for a B5 RS4. Pure grunt from a great engine! and would be better suited to the roads around by you.

I do like the Noble, but think I would only buy one as a dedicated track car.
                            I would probably buy that car back to use as a daily if my mileage was a bit lower. It was a real goodun but it is on a new path now and looks like you are treating it well.

Looks to be sitting nicely on its new suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by LHD_Kid View Post
                              Another vote for the Noble...

The 944 turbo, whilst a really nice car to drive, in standard trim didn't seem all that quick to me. Loved the handling - more fun than the S2, but, I don't know, bit too much lag, not a great engine note... 350 would see it on the way to huge amounts of fun I agree, but prices are really creeping up on them...
                              Yep, and seriously modding a 944, whilst fun, would not help it keep value when they are clearing going through the roof at the moment. I wish i could have them all ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by montyrs2 View Post
                                When I had my RS2 I also had an 80 Avant TDi. don't have a sporty and non sporty version of the same car, so maybe that cancels the RS4 out depending on the diesel run around. Although the RS2 was a much better car it felt a lot like the same thing from the inside so made the RS feel less special, if that makes sense.

Also I think, good as they are, the RS4 is a bit normal and so there maybe less of a sense of occasion when you use it compared to the Noble for example.
                                I used to have an 80 Coupe as well, know exactly what you mean. I think the avant is out the question for me now I have thought about it a bit more. Maybe later in life when my mileage is lower and I have a dog and slippers (I might already have the slippers)

Comment

Working...
                                X