No announcement yet.

Engine machining...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bassett Down Balancing use an engineering firm in South Cerney. They are very good, but expensive. I've had work done there and I can't fault them.

http://www.vintagecarrestorations.com/scefram1.htm

HTH
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Oh, and if you need a torque plate for the rebore, Aelred has a fine example. I believe Mark used this during his rebuild.
      Last edited by SteveH; 22 June 2007, 20:47.
      91 Modded 3B

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
        Bassett Down Balancing use an engineering firm in South Cerney. They are very good, but expensive. I've had work done there and I can't fault them.

http://www.vintagecarrestorations.com/scefram1.htm

HTH
        That's because you got a very advantageous price if I recall:mischeif:

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
          That's because you got a very advantageous price if I recall:mischeif:
          Who am I to complain if their invoicing system required an update or two

I believe they have now moved into the 20th century with computerised invoices.
          91 Modded 3B

Comment

But seriously! Sad fact of life but you have to pay a little extra sometimes. However it shouldn't be too difficult to find an established engine machine shop relatively locally. Accuracy of dimension and the correct bore finish for the rings are the priority.
            Don't forget that you will need to tell them what the correct bore size will need to be. You might need to research the bore clearances for the JE pistons. Most aftermarket pistons tend to like more clearance than OE pistons.
            Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
              Lets be honest here mate, I'd wouldn't take a tonka toy to QPS but thats another story.

I would investigate Bassett's price before you commit.

Can I ask what the rough price of the rebore was by QRS out of interest please?
              Why not? i thought they were a reputable company? i must be mistaken then! thanx 4 the heads up tho!

£185+vat was the price. not to bad i think.
              Probably the longet S2 project in history EVER!

Comment

Careful here! You are getting confused. There is QST which is Kim Collins and QRSport which is Tim Cooper's outfit.
                Sounds like at £185+vat you are paying for somebody to make the trip to the machine shop. Something you can do yourself!

Comment

Tim Cooper is no longer involved with QRSport! But after my experience, I'm not sure whether that's a good or bad thing!?!
                  '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                    Oh, and if you need a torque plate for the rebore, Aelred has a fine example. I believe Mark used this during his rebuild.
                    Yep, I also made up some spacers so that OEM bolts or ARP studs can be used to secure the plate to the block (plate is no where near the height of a head).

I left them with Aelred and the plate.
                    Mark - Modded

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Halligan View Post
                      Yep, I also made up some spacers so that OEM bolts or ARP studs can be used to secure the plate to the block (plate is no where near the height of a head).

I left them with Aelred and the plate.
                      Does this mean OEM bolts or ARP studs are required prior to boring? Thiking of an issue here with the diesel block different head stud size.

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                        Basset Down Balancing are fantastic - think they are still in Swindon area. They have plenty of I5 experience.

Paul
                        This is who Dialynx send all there work to, Kieth happened to mention it whilst I was down there, they have had alot of experience as others have mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                        X