No announcement yet.

Brake disc advice please B5 RS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right. Ordered some Zimerman OE 360 mm B5 discs today for around £415. Have been to BG and they are going to sort the carrier for me. I will be delivering an old disc and a new one and the carrier, next Saturday. If possible they will machine down the old carriers for £80 and I get it back mid week to fit the parts or failing that make new carriers for £240 and that comes back the following sat so hopefully it should work out £495 or £635. The pads on the car are new so will leave them.

Comment

Afternoon all. Got my Zimmerman discs for £415 and then got the callipers machined down by BG Developmemts for £80. Fitted them all today and all seems good.

The calliper appears to be sitting slightly further away than I would like but it won't go on anymore without risking catching the calliper on the disc. The is a 1mm of pad overhang but I just chamfered the edge. There is a little gap on the disc that the pad doesn't cover but I understand that's a Brembo trait as the pad ends up being longer and thinner. It won't rust as it still had the factory coating to protect it. All in £500 and when I was quoted £500 plus vat per disc I am happy. There is after all only 20mm difference.

Comment

Hmm, not very good IMHO if the pad overhangs the disc, was that the most they could machine off your existing carriers or something? Its less than ideal anyway.
        You should find that there are different pads available with a larger swept area, so they use the whole disc annulus. You will probably find if you measure your old discs they used a smaller annulus than the RS4 ones.
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Which variant 996 calipers are they?

Comment

Not sure on the variant of the calliper as no paperwork to stipulate and can't work it out. The face of the disc is the same on the old disc. The pad didn't cover it all either. The 1mm is not an issue as I have chamfered the edge and it's only 1mm. The calliper can't go any further on with these carriers. Nearly touched the disc anyway so I don't thin new carriers would matter. I did not realise I could get a pad that would stretch all the way to the centre of the disc. How do I go about sorting those then as I would change if I could get some. Would it be just a case of going to a good parts supplier with the pad and the size I need or something else
            Last edited by Human Joist; 3 October 2014, 17:22.

Comment

They look like the smaller 425/426 996 Brembos, if they are, they're not really designed for discs that big, hence them not "swallowing" the whole disc. Better suited to a disc in the range of 310-325mm, but they will work.
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

See how you get on, the next phase would be replace the calipers with Cayenne calipers, they need no bracket to fit

Comment

I'm not sure you can get a pad with a larger swept surface. Having seen the set up the 1mm overhang is not an iissue but Id want the whole disc to be covered

Comment

Ok cheers guys. They seem fine so far. Will know more once bedded in.

I was thinking that if the pads were bigger and covered the disc would they be as efficant as your asking the same Pistons to put the same pressure accross a bigger area and would they not be as good in that case.

If they work well once bedded is it worth changing or just using them.

Comment

more surface area = more friction

You'll probably find you can sell the 996s for about the same price as you can buy some 18zs or some of the larger 428/429 C4s/Turbo 4 pots.
                      If it was me, that's the way I'd go, but I am a bit funny like that as you all know
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Ok. What callipers are best to get then to go with standard discs. A post above said cayenne as you don't need a carrier. I presume the calliper bolts straight on to the hub in that case. I don't mind swapping but want to get something that fits straight on without messing and will work with the original disc I have just fitted so it's not loads of hassle next time anything needs changing.

If anyone can find a link for sale that's also great. Shame I have just spent £80 on getting carrier machined down but we live and learn

Comment

Thats the classic mistake people make buying those ones.The ones you want are the ones ending in 429 and 430 and cost more than the 425,s. I think they are also know as Big Reds. Only a few years ago a pair would cost about £175 ish but now they seam to be around the £300 plus mark. From all accounts it would be much better to buy the Cayene ones much more bang for your buck only problem for me would be they don't fit a 17" Audi wheel but will be fine for you with those wheels i think.
                          96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                          96 URS6 plus speck estate
                          94 2.6 80 Avant
                          99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Still running the set up as detailed on this thread but want to look tonchange for the better suited calliper 18z or cayenne etc. Just want t ensure whichever I go for bolts straight on with standard discs if possible. So if anyone knows exactly what I need or has some for sale then please feel free to help here

Comment

Easiest thing on the B5 is to fit the B7 setup.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                                Thats the classic mistake people make buying those ones.The ones you want are the ones ending in 429 and 430 and cost more than the 425,s. I think they are also know as Big Reds. Only a few years ago a pair would cost about £175 ish but now they seam to be around the £300 plus mark. From all accounts it would be much better to buy the Cayene ones much more bang for your buck only problem for me would be they don't fit a 17" Audi wheel but will be fine for you with those wheels i think.
                                Good advice but it's a B5 not an S2, he wants the Cayene calipers as they are a direct fit with merc discs or oem discs reduced to 350mm, the 429 & 430 are not worth the extra money and brackets to this setup.

Comment

Working...
                                X