Clear All

I have connected Vcds and have some additional information for your perusal

Is block 000 the MAF?

Idle lambda 1.031, 2.4krpm lambda 0.75

Fault code 00537

Component version: 2.2l S6 GT30R HS D03
    Software code MRC1

anytging specific I need to look for?
    Last edited by S4Marc; 8 July 2018, 16:39.

Comment

Originally posted by S4Marc
      I have connected Vcds and have some additional information for your perusal

Is block 000 the MAF?

Idle lambda 1.031, 2.4krpm lambda 0.75

Fault code 00537

Component version: 2.2l S6 GT40R HS D03
      Software code MRC1

anytging specific I need to look for?
      Block 000 is load but as Dimitri says it doesn’t tell you anything if you don’t know what SW platform the chips were built on. Values will be different depending if it’s modified AAN or ADU (RS2)

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Its the second measuring block in on the 10 values. Should be in the 020's.
        So its got worse based on the lambda values?
        That code is related to adaption not surprisingly I think.
        Don't think there is going to be a smoking gun here but who knows!
        Is it a fabricated down pipe as well?

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
          Its the second measuring block in on the 10 values. Should be in the 020's.
          So its got worse based on the lambda values?
          That code is related to adaption not surprisingly I think.
          Don't think there is going to be a smoking gun here but who knows!
          Is it a fabricated down pipe as well?
          It's a 3" Hayward and Scott system

The lambda has never been read from the ECU before before, previous lambda readings were from the MOT exhaust test

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post

Block 000 is load but as Dimitri says it doesn’t tell you anything if you don’t know what SW platform the chips were built on. Values will be different depending if it’s modified AAN or ADU (RS2)

How would I find out the platform of VCDS Lite?

Also am I right in thinking that it is now one of these issues

1) lambda wiring faulty
            2) leaking/faulty injectors
            3) bad mapping
            Last edited by S4Marc; 8 July 2018, 16:33.

Comment

1. If the ecu is calculating the lambda value then presumably its seing the signal.
              2. The only way to determine that would be to have them tested/cleaned.
              3. Probably only one person who could tell you that!

Looking back over the thread it would appear that the mapping is rich throughout. We know the fuel pressure appears to be too high which would effect fueling everywhere. If it was mapped on that pump then that seems a bit strange. Whilst is safer than being lean, surely the whole object of mapping is too optimise fueling/timing/boost. So it should be right. So what could have changed ? The only other thing I can think of is that the pump was relayed after. Or is there an alternative explantion of why more that the stock 4 bar fuel pressure would be necessary to make the power level on those injectors. Perhaps MRC keeps records. Not sure why it says GT40 rather than 3071 for example as it would be just as easy to type that in the file. The other variable being the maf. But even if it was mapped on a new maf it has always (from the afr on the dyno according to Dmitri) been too rich.
              The lack of the cruise/fast idle CO value is apparently related to the maf according to the knowlegable one yet there has been no improvement with a known good one. Again I am presuming the ecu is loking for some value (load)? to go closed loop which its not seing. Irrespective of the base of the sw, if you have a suspect maf that reads a certain value and a known good one that reads another considerably different one then that would be useful to know. Both sw have values in the 20's so the question is how far out of whack does it take to knock it off of closed loop at cruise. I can only assume that anything outside of the range is unacceptable.

Comment

Just thinking aloud, so I'll put it out there. I understand that the maf scaling is different between the RS2(ADU) and AAN (S6) which is accomplished through a resistor change in the ecu. I can't remember what happens when you use for arguments sake RS2 sw in an AAN ecu without the accompying resistor change but it does make a difference. I'll do some more research tonight and try and find the answer.

Comment

Pressure test the whole intake without disconnecting anything from turbo inlet on. See how long that takes to drop down.
                  That's the way it should be tested anyway. Disconnecting stuff makes 0 sense as that's not what the turbo is seeing. Only reason would be if you hear a leak but can't find it, to narrow it down.

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                  Dimitri, I had said be careful testing with a new fuel pressure regulator with less pressure. Read what I said. No need to be awkward. I reckon closer to a 20% reduction in fuel moving from his faulty 5 bar regulator to a working 3.8 bar. That could solve his issues as his system looks leak free so far. That or it's the MAF.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
                  Actually going from one pressure to another the fuel quantity difference is as a square root - basic physics really ... it's around 13% 3.8 to 5.0 base pressure.
                  Regardless, regulator isn't faulty in the first place as on WOT the pressure most likely is just fine.
                  Stock regulators have never ever managed to keep the correct pressure with 044 on idle, they don't have enough flow to return. Those of us who have mapped a few of these cars all know this.
                  http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Guess I'll be shot down if wrong so... I think that using RS2 sw in an ecu without the resistor change causes the maf signal to be higher. So its seing more airflow than it should and consequently injects more fuel. Whether that could cause the no closed loop at cruise issue I don't know . Wasn't that what Dmitri said earlier that the maf signal was too high.
                    Unfortunately we mortals can only verify whether the ecu has been modded to accept RS2 sw via the resistor change. Follow the instructions here:
                    https://store.034motorsport.com/blog...-instructions/
                    As the map sensor is 3 bar I guess it would have made sense to use RS2 sw.
                    Just a hunch.

Comment

This resistor business is irrelevant, the car was mapped with that ECU, so it is what it is.

It's either been mapped wrong or there is an underlying issue with the car. I'd say the latter should be more likely.
                      MAF could have easily gone bad - idk if that has been swapped yet or not.

My advice would be either to use prjmod or a standalone and map from scratch without a MAF.

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
                        This resistor business is irrelevant, the car was mapped with that ECU, so it is what it is.

It's either been mapped wrong or there is an underlying issue with the car. I'd say the latter should be more likely.
                        MAF could have easily gone bad - idk if that has been swapped yet or not.

My advice would be either to use prjmod or a standalone and map from scratch without a MAF.
                        I have today fitted a known working MAF and confirmed the output voltage on pin 3

1.5v with ignition on
                        2.5v at idle
                        3v when revved

Comment

Dmitri do you any of the correct 4 bar map sensors you could supply? I looked before but got confused over the different part numbers!
                          I have a mapless socketed ecu which assuming I can find someone in the UK (John?) to handle the soldering required, could be repurposed for prjmod and loaned out to see if we can at least get it past the mot. Whilst thats not an ideal solution for the OP it would at least eliminate some of the potential issues.

Comment

Originally posted by S4Marc View Post

I have today fitted a known working MAF and confirmed the output voltage on pin 3

1.5v with ignition on
                            2.5v at idle
                            3v when revved
                            Which says absolutely nothing about the MAF.
                            You should compare block 000 values between one MAF and another. Also "known working" means nothing, unless it's been bought in the last 5 years it's probably trash.

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
                            Dmitri do you any of the correct 4 bar map sensors you could supply? I looked before but got confused over the different part numbers!
                            I have a mapless socketed ecu which assuming I can find someone in the UK (John?) to handle the soldering required, could be repurposed for prjmod and loaned out to see if we can at least get it past the mot. Whilst thats not an ideal solution for the OP it would at least eliminate some of the potential issues.
                            Won't help you, car has different injectors and what not, it needs mapping. All the info is on the prjmod wiki page as to what sensor and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
                              Which says absolutely nothing about the MAF.
                              You should compare block 000 values between one MAF and another. Also "known working" means nothing, unless it's been bought in the last 5 years it's probably trash.

Won't help you, car has different injectors and what not, it needs mapping. All the info is on the prjmod wiki page as to what sensor and so on.
                              Could you baby step me though the process of checking the block values?

Comment

It's a shame it seems to have a poor map as I was under the impression Mihnea/MRC was a motronic guru

Comment

Working...
                                X