AAN with Wagner EM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAN with Wagner EM

Good evening guys. Please help. I have a crack in the exhaust manifold. The car is UrS6. The turbine is original. I wonder how the car behaves with a Wagner rs2 exhaust manifold? I read somewhere that the turbine fills a little less (0.1 bar) than with the original exhaust manifold. Is that true?
    Are you satisfied with Wagner EM?

Poslano sa mog SM-A135F koristeći Tapatalk

1-2-4-5-3

Highly recommended.
    sigpic_________
    Rob

Comment

If your still on a stock AAN manifold then a Wagner RS2 EM will be a huge upgrade, it will decrease spool up time ever so slightly... Not reduce turbine pressure, I don't know where you read that but it's wrong.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

On a German forum. The explanation was that the Wagner has a larger pipe diameter, which reduces the velocity of the gases. Wagner exhaust manifold is around 650 euros. Until half a year ago, original exhaust manifolds were available for purchase at Audi Tradition. I think the price was 850 euros. I installed an original used exhaust manifold without cracks on my car. Before 70tkm. Now I have one external and several internal ones. Very poor quality.

1-2-4-5-3

Comment

Very happy with my Wagner. Be careful as cheap copies out there. Got mine in group buy from LS Cartek.
          I see what they mean about spool up but it's not something you will be able to notice.
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

The Wagner EM does indeed have larger diameter runners, but the the exhaust turbine acts as a restriction and backs up the exhaust gases in the manifold slightly so anything you can do to increase the flow of gas either side of the turbine will increase performance. Obviously unless you get the car remapped you won't see any real gain in power but fitting either a stock RS2 or Wagner manifold can only help the car run better as both flow way better than any of the stock 20VT manifolds.

The 3B EM is particularly poo but the the ABY and AAN ones aren't a great deal better, all are very prone to cracking due to the design with two extra runners going to the waste gate port causing big differences in temperature in the casting which cast iron doesn't like. The RS2 and Wagner version are a much better design, they still crack though, well stock RS2 ones do around the collector for the turbo but they don't tend to leak. I can't really comment on the Wagner version as I don't run one but I can say I've never heard of anyone complaining of them cracking.

Comment

I'm having a RS2 copy on my 3B, not remapped, mby it's only imagination but it "feels" better than the std EM ...

Comment

Originally posted by pfi View Post
                I'm having a RS2 copy on my 3B, not remapped, mby it's only imagination but it "feels" better than the std EM ...
                It will spool quicker.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

The problem with standard exhaust manifolds is that they leak everywhere. A little through the cracks a little through the seal. Because they are distorted. When I installed a crack-free exhaust manifold a few years ago, the turbine was charging from 2000 rpm.

1-2-4-5-3

Comment

The RS2 design manifolds not only flow considerably better, they're also much less prone to cracking as they do away with the silly wastegate runners which helps the whole casting both heat up and cool down more evenly, which it has to do 1000's of time's in a lifetime.

Genuine RS2 manifolds (or decent copy's) do tend to develop hairline cracks around the collector for the turbo but rarely leak, Wagner stuff is well designed and produced and I've not heard of them cracking as I mention above.

It's probably the best mechanical upgrade one can do to the engine and exhaust system.

When I first got my 3B it had a Nothelle modified EM which are even more prone to cracking than stock as they use some weird grade of SS welded into the original cast iron, when I fitted a genuine RS2 manifold it spooled up about 2/300 RPM earlier using the small K26 hybrid Nothelle use with their N300 conversions.

Then I fitted a K24 7200 and all the other RS2 parts and well mapped ECU and all hell broke loose!

Comment

https://youtu.be/0o4ydDI_Ii8

I meant bent S2 exhaust manifold. You can watch the video at 3:00 min. I have the same situation.

1-2-4-5-3

Comment

Ah, I see what you mean, your talking about the manifold warping, pity the video doesn't have English subtitles as I don't speak much German.

The mating surface of the manifold has to skimmed to fix this issue.

Comment

Working...
                        X