S6 after an S2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S6 after an S2?

Just curious, how do people find an S6 after an S2?
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

You obviously haven't been reading my obsessive posts in support of the UrS6 after the S2.

What do you need to know exactly ?

Last edited by macspring; 1 September 2016, 21:43.

Comment

Oh I have read Mark and you lauding the urs4/6!

Just curious how people have found it after an S2.

My 3B was 1330 kg, RS2+, Konis, 996s, rear torsen etc so a S6 at 280bhp 1700kg I am expecting to feel a bit lardy.

Also a quick look about the net show a stock URS running a 14.9 1/4, chipped 14.3, RS2+13.5. My 3b could run a 13.0 1/4 with 280bhp, never tried it at RS2 spec. So an S6 would appear to be considerably slower, however on the move is really slower? Its not really a 1/4 mile car, more about a cross country ability.

I am expecting to get the car up to scratch (shocks, bushes etc), then RS2 it, but I am wondering it it will need more to feel "quick"?

My current 350z makes the S2 feel like a pig on turn in, but I am sick of rwd, I am used to sinking the boot and car car going, not just the **** end skittering about, plus its boring. (very good, but boring, and it lacks turbo torque oompmh)

A K04 S4 would be "better", more modern chassis, better handling etc, but an URS seems like a reasonable balance of simple maintenance and "cheap" "reliable" power, and the engine bay is bigger than an S2, which can only make life easier

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Really impressed with mine Andy, even though it has a few niggles shall we say. I'd say it's a more grown up version of the S2. S2 is more raw and old skool feel to it, where as the S6 is just that bit more modern and refined (but not too much). They are 2 different machines.

Getting out the s6 into a chipped s2 there is obviously a big difference, but i wouldn't say the s6 feels slow or bus like being that bit bigger and heavier. RS2 treatment should see it plenty fast enough i recon.

You're more than welcome to swing past and have a go in mine to see what's what
        1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Yay! Back in an i5!

I reckon you'll love it, I've been in a couple of these, really comfy and classy feeling. Just needs a bigger turbo, maybe a bit bigger than RS2

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Beef up the suspension and put a bigger turbo
            kit on it and you'll have a big smile.

Comment

Thanks for the input gents.

I think my general question was "is RS2+ going to be enough", its great bang for buck, 350+bhp for £1500 ish, but I was wondering whether it would be better to just go straight to 400-450.

Unfortunately I have just found out I am going to be made redundant and have decided to set up my own business so cars are going to have to take a back seat

Michael I need to see your new toy at some point

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Sorry to hear about your job Andy seems all to common just now. Best of luck with the new business.

I'm researching RS2+spec just now my only concern is upgrading the intercooler as there is no room for a fmic. Some people seem to remove aircon etc but I want to retain all that.
                1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Meh, its a kick up the **** to get on with it, I would never do it when I was employed so maybe its a good thing.

If you are not loony driving it I would not get that upset about the intercooler, if you do repeated WOT runs it will heatsoak, but opportunities are limited, and motronic will pull timing etc as IAT rises so it will still be safe.

If you are having problems with heat soak you could fit a basic water meth injection system, even not mapped for it you can lower IAT, so its as if it was a cold day every time.

I would fit

RS2 or replica+ exhaust manifold (wastegate flex pipe will require bent across slightly)
                  Shorter exhaust manifold studs
                  RS2 turbo
                  RS2+ software
                  Injectors to match software, be it RS2, RS2 reps, 440s
                  Uprated fuel pump
                  Fuel pump relay

You can then fit, downpipe, exhaust, decats, intercooler etc if you wish.

Probably also worth fitting an URS4 metal intercooler and crossover pipe instead of the plastic S6 ones (worth doing anyway as the plastic ones can split)

You can fit a B5 inner wing vent behind the intercooler, Dave has a how to somewhere.

You may well need to replace all the boost hoses, DV etc if they are old they will split. If the ignition system is tired increased boost will show any faults, so either new coils and POS or convert to COP.

There are more modern and "better" turbos out there, but live mapping motronic, or switching to standalone adds hugely to cost, RS2 just bolts on, and looks stock, can also be reverted to stock easily.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Good way to look at it Andy

That list seems like a sensible approach. So the stock intercooler is good enough for RS2+ power as long as you're not doing run after run. I just want to have the power on tap for occasional use so should be fine.

Got a few jobs to do on the car to get it up to scratch before i go upgrading anything engine wise.

QUOTE=andy10v;917270]

There are more modern and "better" turbos out there, but live mapping motronic, or switching to standalone adds hugely to cost, RS2 just bolts on, and looks stock, can also be reverted to stock easily.[/QUOTE]

Agree, don't want to have to drive 100s of miles to get someone decent to map it. Bolt on and drive is the way forward. "RS2+" just has a nice ring to it as well.
                    1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Ha, so this is where you lot have been lurking. Get one Andy they are superb cars! They are better built than S2's a little more refined and a pleasure to drive. Get one sorted, the Saloons handle better, because of the massive rear bulkhead remember i have both, and it will put a big smile on your face the only sad thing you'll remember is why didn't you buy one years ago.

The tried and tested route is the RS2 turbo for an easy install if you like lag unless it's mapped differently but after what i've read i can't help but be reminded how good the Volvo K24-7400 is being much newer technology and knowing full well if it were available back then Audi would have used it.Even Kit has said he's going to do one,so i can only take him at his word.

By the way chaps, non of this stuff gets onto the main forum page which is completely bonkers,how else are we to see the stuff coming up. I missed this for that very reason.
                      96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                      96 URS6 plus speck estate
                      94 2.6 80 Avant
                      99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                        Ha, so this is where you lot have been lurking. .............. non of this stuff gets onto the main forum page which is completely bonkers,how else are we to see the stuff coming up. I missed this for that very reason.
                        What you rambling on about?!

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
                          What you rambling on about?!
                          Shocked to see you here,as again your post doesn't appear on the main page just only if you go to the forum subsections deep within the forum. Does it appear on main page for you?
                          96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                          96 URS6 plus speck estate
                          94 2.6 80 Avant
                          99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Having owned an S2 and S6, I would say the S6 is as good just in slightly different way, if you want more comfort/space and value this a bit more than fast cornering I would go for the S6.

If you want something more focused on the bends then the S2, but having said that I found the S2 quite lardy and not all that great in standard form down a back road, but then I was comparing it a UR Quattro which I had before and is still the best handling car I ever owned (All standard cars BTW)

The S6 is probably a tad slower, but you won't notice the lack of performance in a straight line from what I remember.

The caveat to all of this however, is that I preferred the S4 (B5) to the RS4 (B5) so maybe take the above with a pinch of salt!!

Cheers
                            Audi S6

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                              Shocked to see you here,as again your post doesn't appear on the main page just only if you go to the forum subsections deep within the forum. Does it appear on main page for you?
                              No doesn't appear on main page.
                              I think Andy pressed the "stealth" button, access from the user CP. Go in via Networking , sub section "Hide From VDT".

Seriously though I too am interested in the difference experience between the 2, mainly between the avant versions........so get yer finger out Mike!!

Comment

Working...
                              X