Non starting AAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bernsaudi View Post
    Mine was retarded by a couple of teeth when my bottom pulley key went. Also showed mechanical failure on the scanner.
    On this point did it show "mechanical failure" straight away ?, I.e were there any other fault codes coming up prior to this ?
    Many thanks
    sigpic
    Cab 2.3E
    90q
    URS6

Comment

Can I also say a big thanks to Dave (20vcqdriver) for his expertise & help getting it sorted
      sigpic
      Cab 2.3E
      90q
      URS6

Comment

Originally posted by slacky View Post
        On this point did it show "mechanical failure" straight away ?, I.e were there any other fault codes coming up prior to this ?
        Many thanks
        Hello, it did show straight away, I was driving along at 30 mph, engine started to sound odd and i felt a lack of throttle. I pulled over thinking it was out of petrol. It stalled and would not start. After ruling fuel out I went down the path of checking cam sensor for activity, seemed ok but still would not start, it was then the crank pulley cam off and the the toothed pulley was visible showed it had sheared its key.

Comment

Non starting AAN

To be 100% confident I would definitely do an inspection of the key of the bottom toothed pulley and probably the cam pulley as well, both of these can slip if the last cambelt change was not done correctly or without the correct holding tools.
          A quick way to check if the pulley keyway has gone is to compare the flywheel zero mark with the marks on the crankshaft V belt pulley and cam belt cover.
          If these appear to be 2 teeth out then be suspicious.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bernsaudi View Post
            Hello, it did show straight away, I was driving along at 30 mph, engine started to sound odd and i felt a lack of throttle. I pulled over thinking it was out of petrol. It stalled and would not start. After ruling fuel out I went down the path of checking cam sensor for activity, seemed ok but still would not start, it was then the crank pulley cam off and the the toothed pulley was visible showed it had sheared its key.
            Thanks
            sigpic
            Cab 2.3E
            90q
            URS6

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
              To be 100% confident I would definitely do an inspection of the key of the bottom toothed pulley and probably the cam pulley as well, both of these can slip if the last cambelt change was not done correctly or without the correct holding tools.
              A quick way to check if the pulley keyway has gone is to compare the flywheel zero mark with the marks on the crankshaft V belt pulley and cam belt cover.
              Thanks John
              sigpic
              Cab 2.3E
              90q
              URS6

Comment

Nope not pulley keyways, TDC mark on bottom pulley was perfectly aligned with real TDC, but cam pulley was physically out by 2 teeth and the only way that could be out with bottom pulley correct is that it jumped 2 teeth somehow. Seems weird that it happened after a slow trip
                Will get a full check when new cambelt gets sorted next year
                1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
                2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
                2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

That's good news then, must have been slack in the belt.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

there's always Slack in my belt , after a meal normally (not in the cars )
                    sigpic
                    Cab 2.3E
                    90q
                    URS6

Comment

Originally posted by slacky View Post
                      there's always Slack in my belt , after a meal normally (not in the cars )

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't drive it until you replace the belt & tensioner (and check key+sprocket too). If it goes again while driving it might jump a lot more than two teeth and screw your engine

Comment

A quick test, and a good indicator of the status of the crank pulley, Is to simply see what figure it is torqued up to... If it's extremely low, then you know you are extremely likely to have an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by mike74 View Post
                            I wouldn't drive it until you replace the belt & tensioner (and check key+sprocket too). If it goes again while driving it might jump a lot more than two teeth and screw your engine

Originally posted by chezz View Post
                            A quick test, and a good indicator of the status of the crank pulley, Is to simply see what figure it is torqued up to... If it's extremely low, then you know you are extremely likely to have an issue.
                            Thanks for advice
                            sigpic
                            Cab 2.3E
                            90q
                            URS6

Comment

Originally posted by 20Vcqdriver View Post
                              Nope not pulley keyways, TDC mark on bottom pulley was perfectly aligned with real TDC, but cam pulley was physically out by 2 teeth and the only way that could be out with bottom pulley correct is that it jumped 2 teeth somehow. Seems weird that it happened after a slow trip
                              Will get a full check when new cambelt gets sorted next year

Joking aside , There was slack in the belt , which has now been tightened , so part of me makes me think that was just ? the problem all along...??
                              sigpic
                              Cab 2.3E
                              90q
                              URS6

Comment

Just out of interest, do you have any history of cam belt/ pulley changes for this vehicle?

Comment

Working...
                                X