My Second B6 S4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lee_whitehead View Post
    Word of advice, don't gut the pre-cats, you get a bad raspy metal rattly sound... I know, I did mine and regretted it straight away as the inside of the cats isn't smooth and its quite jagged in there, the airflow becomes really turbulent and causes vibrations lower down the flow
    Hi Lee,

Any talk of Milltek makes me want one more.
    I have actually heard of this before some people like the sound others don't, I want my piggies gone as they are the most obstructive part of the exhaust, but not sure I like the idea of that sound either though.
    Love your Noggy and its replacement.
    Rob W
    04 Audi S4 Avant
    55 Merc 220cdi c class estate Family hack.
    92 Audi S2 3b Sadly gone.
    1969 mustang fastback 302. Dry storage

Comment

I have some big plans for mine now, been costing her up and its going to be an RS4 eater when its done!

Love these cars, perfect Q car cruiser...

The best option for losing the piggies is the JHM longtubes but my god they aren't cheap at all!

Comment

Aside from fuel ours has been pretty cheap to run actually, but they can be a PITA to work on.
        We average around 22-23mpg with a mix of driving. Had ours up to 160 on the French auto-route and it felt solid as a rock. MPG not so good at that speed.

Work I've done in addition to the usual service schdule:

Dealer coilpack replacement
        Replace downpipes as one pre-cat collapsed due to coilpack failure
        Discs & pads all round - easy & cheap
        Upper control arms - massive ball-ache of a job as the upright is ally and the the bolts seize in them
        Rear wheel bearing, easy compared to the S2
        Alternator belt - check this as there is no factory maintenance schedule on this due to no cambelt.
        Oil level sensor - pointless but annoying when it goes wrong and gives you false warnings
        Cam cover gaskets - leaking again
        Replace gearbox undertray as it made a bid for freedom on the A1 at about 140

Straight through exhaust vid just for shits & giggles
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Diw4xYfirlA
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ5Uxf-cRk8
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Sounds lovely mate, bet your neighbours love you! ha ha

I think I might be getting a set of millet straight downpipes soon enough, I keep swaying between getting the JHM ones or doing the Miltek thing again.

My list of running costs is similar to yours except I did both control arms and bushes/track rods, two new rear calipers, rear brake hoses and my alternator belt went before the change so I had to call the AA ha ha

Any more plans for yours?

Comment

I have some big plans for mine now, been costing her up and its going to be an RS4 eater when its done!

Love these cars, perfect Q car cruiser...

The best option for losing the piggies is the JHM longtubes but my god they aren't cheap at all!
            Ooohhhh - betting that involves a supercharger then !
            Do tell more, but I reckon the price tag will be eye watering :-(
            Paul Nugent
            Webmaster http://S2central.net
            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

No plans for it really, it the Mrs car so she likes it quiet and comfy so we are back with the stock exhaust now.
              If it was me I'd upgrade to RNS-E and some other toys but she isn't into spending money on cars unless they need servicing or are broken. Quite sensible I suppose
              Been considering trading it for a C4S some point as we have a Disco4 now for dog & luggage duties.
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Well, I have been in a bit of a conundrum about what to do moving forward, I mean day to day it's a great car, fast, capable, grippy, spacious, easy to maintain and cheap to run for what it is. But any petrolhead hankers for more power, more fun, just more or a change!

But what to get? I've considered an overall budget of about 18k for a change of car, assuming a p/x rate of about 6k for this, but what to get?

I've considered a 996 C4S, a maserati quattroporte, an RS4 B7, a Jag XK (New shape) and an S8... Or do something unique to this in stages and save about ÂŁ5k (or get a stage 1 supercharger down the line for 500hp)

If I decide to keep this I will be looking at Miltek downpipes, filter, stage 3 clutch and flywheel, JHM pulleys, full JHM timing overhaul, JHM intake spacers and manifold, 034 roll bars and full polybushes, 10mm spacers, short throw, springs and a JHM tune.

This lot fitted should transform the car and according to research hit about 400bhp and be quicker than most B7 RS4s in the real world on account of gearbox ratios, weight and the coking issue those FSi cars have.

*What to do, what to do.

The only thing that makes me sway towards keeping her is ease, seeing the old special cars on the road (like all the S2s that people persisted with in spate of cost vs return on value) and knowing that in 5 years these will have appreciated.

On the flip, the car has done 138K, but it is a V8 and the full timing overhaul will resolve the biggest issue on these cars

Loads to digest, thoughts? Don't sugar coat it...

Comment

A low mileage minter of a B5 RS4, in silver or black.

A simple chip will get you over 400bhp for a lot less money than what your considering spending on you current car.

B5 RS4 are going to be classic, if they are not already.

RS2 are not perfect for daily use, but a B5 RS4 would be fine when you a reused to newer S cars.

Given your budget you'll have your pick of B5 RS4, and a few well chosen mods, if necessary, is all you'll need, imho.

Just my tuppence.

Nice dilemma to have.

Best wishes, looking forward to see what others think and what you do.

If it was me, I'd put a 07k engine with a Quaife sequential gearbox, and a Quife custom quick rack into a UrS6 saloon, with KW3, AP brakes and A8 Recaros.

Comment

I would tend to agree, I don't think the B6 S4 has enough about it to be a future classic, nor the B7 for that matter.
                    I think they disappear into the ether as an "also ran", kinda like the C5 S6. Great cars in their own right but never quite interesting enough to be a classic.
                    That said, a supercharged S4 would tick all the boxes, with the exception (IMHO) of character.
                    Then again I don't believe there is a "mass market" car yet made in the 21st century that has real character TBH. "Mass" market cars have become too good and too homogenised for me to get properly excited about them.
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I've considered an overall budget of about 18k for a change of car, assuming a p/x rate of about 6k for this, but what to get?
                      B8 S4 with a remap at MRC? As discussed at Audis in the Lake, its a lot of performance for the money
                      B5 B6 B7 B9

Comment

great car & engine that V6 "t"
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Urgh... B8 just doesn't have any prescence in my opinion, just looks like a rep estate, sorry Ian, I know you want one but it just doesn't pull at my heart strings. How the hell did I not consider a B5 RS4? Madness

Comment

Go on...

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

nom nom nom
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

If I decide to keep this I will be looking at Miltek downpipes, filter, stage 3 clutch and flywheel, JHM pulleys, full JHM timing overhaul, JHM intake spacers and manifold, 034 roll bars and full polybushes, 10mm spacers, short throw, springs and a JHM tune.

This lot fitted should transform the car and according to research hit about 400bhp and be quicker than most B7 RS4s in the real world on account of gearbox ratios, weight and the coking issue those FSi cars have.
                                What is the cost difference between doing that and the supercharger?
                                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                                X