No announcement yet.

My Second B6 S4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About 2.5K difference for the N/A tune for a 65 bhp bump, as opposed to the supercharger which is about 100 but, it will transform the response. To be honest the RS4 B5 option has got me thinking, I completely missed it, and a couple of Loba turbos on that with a decat straight through 3" with remap will net well over 500hp

Hmmmm

Comment

Test drives lined up on a B5 RS4 and a C5 RS6... should give me a good feel for what is out there power-wise.

In a lot of senses it would be a shame to let the S4 go, I have spent over 4K on it recently having everything done to make it last a very very long time, almost seems like a travesty to sell her but if I do my loss is someone else's gain.

Anyone have any other suggestions I should look at? quite happy to look at the unconventional, it doesn't have to have 4 rings...

Comment

B5 RS4 is absolutely a very quick and capable machine, but it simply has the wrong number of cylinders for me.
        True enough I think the RS4 (B5 or B7) is much more likely to achieve classic or special status compared to the B5/6/7/8 S4 flavours but you cannot be losing sleep over that stuff.

If you have a sweet running B6 S4 that has cost non-trivial money to get running nicely, then I can completely see the desire for spending a bit more and making it more performance oriented (with or without a supercharger).
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
          you cannot be losing sleep over that stuff
          Very true and I agree totally, but I am craving more power and its like an itch that needs scratching, so I don't quite know what to do yet, I am going to drive an RS4 and RS6 with an open mind to buy and see what happens.

At the end of the day cars are quite the folly, if it was purely for investment and not for fun (mixed with commitments from everyday life to earn its keep getting me from A to B) then it would be an easy choice to sell this up and move on.

That said, a super clean boggo 30 year old anything can fetch good money for the right person so to say S4's won't be worth anything in future isn't strictly true, maybe just not as much as something else from higher up the food chain.

Comment

Back up for sale, slight change of plans (once again after spending loads of un-necessary money on her)

This is my second B6 Audi S4 and when I came to look for it I knew exactly what to look for as I was aware of all the problems these cars faced (timing rattle, auxiliary radiators, dual mass flywheel and clutch) and I was also aware of all the extras that made the car perfectly specced (RNS-E, Solar Sunroof that powers the air ventilation when the car is off, Carbon Trim, Black Nappa Leather interior) so that I could cherry pic the best of the best.

During my ownership she has had no expense spared on servicing, parts, upgrades and maintenance items totaling over £4,000 in the last 18 months to make her fast, reliable and solid.

These include:

- Full Milltek non-res cat back stainless steel exhaust system
            - 19” Cades Tyrus alloy wheels with Michelin Eagle F1 tyres
            - Two new rear calipers and hoses
            - Uprated drilled and grooved discs and pads all round
            - New alternator belt
            - New suspension components
            - New upper control arms (all 4)
            - New CV joint
            - New OSR Lower Front Suspension arm
            - New rocker cover gaskets (no oil leaks)

The mileage is about average for the year of the car at 137,000 miles and these cars can do so well into the 200,000+ if maintained properly, I have no doubts about this car given the full and extensive service history of the car prior to and during my ownership.

She is a 6-speed manual with a silent box and a perfectly working clutch, starts from cold with no rattles or timing chain issues, drives solidly and consumes minimal oil. There are no leaks from the auxiliary radiators (common problem) and no misfires from the coilpacks (again, common problem with these cars), I have also taken her off the long-life Audi service plan so that oil changes are more regular and it has been proven this is better for the longevity of the car.

Inside, you aren’t short of toys as the car boasts dual zone climate control, Bose Stereo system with full RNS-E and updated official Audi navigation DVD as well a the 6-CD changer and MP3 SD slots (10 cards supplied), Electric heater leather Recaro seats, electric sunroof, electric mirrors, traction control

Ideally I was looking to keep her for the long term (hence carrying out loads of work and upgrade items) but I shake the desire to have something different as this is my second S4 but the opportunity to pick up a dream car has arrived hence the need to release funds for her purchase.

I am a member of AudiSRS and RS246 and details of the car and work undertaken can be found on these forums as well as extensive advice and guidance for prospective new owners of these rocket ships.

Tax runs till 31/10/15
            Mot runs till 28/09/15
            Next service (minor) due in 5000 miles

Based in Northampton and owner of a full VAGCOM system, I will be happy to undertake a full diagnostic scan the car before and after a test drive to prove there are no issues at all.

Looking at £6500 - Bargain considering the recent upgrades as well!

New pics...

Comment

I think you mentioned this earlier in the thread, and it's where I hope to land in the car monopoly game of life post S4. 996/997/C4S/turbo
              Rob W
              04 Audi S4 Avant
              55 Merc 220cdi c class estate Family hack.
              92 Audi S2 3b Sadly gone.
              1969 mustang fastback 302. Dry storage

Comment

Test driving a 996 C4S today actually! I will be sad when the S4 goes, it's the most sorted car I've ever owned

Comment

Alrighty, let us know what you think of it.
                  Rob W
                  04 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Wow, that was disappointing... Not going near a C4S... Not quicker than my B6 in the real world, rattles, feels cheap inside, car looked lovely, low miles, loads of history, just wasn't feeling it at all, I also spoke to Fearnsport after in Silverstone who spent about 30 minutes talking to me about the pros and cons off Carerra ownership, ultimately culminating in "buy nothing but the turbo as its not worth it"

It's weird really, my journey so far has taken in a B5 RS4, a B7 RS4, a jag XKR and now a C4S... Which is the one I was planning to buy with saved money and proceeds from the S4 sale. Now I am in the strange position of what to buy? If at all... Nothing is measuring up enough, so shall I just accept it and keep the trusty S4 or test drive an S8 V10?

I suppose I am fortunate enough to be in this position but it's dissapointing to feel let down by cars that you held in high esteem only to find out they don't cut the mustard!

Comment

Sorry to hear that it was a let down, but the turbo is a much more potent package, and the 997 is more modern but obviously more Mulah.
                      I fancied a C6 S6 V10 before I got the S4, I didn't want to pay £500 a year road tax, and I was a few grand short off being able to get a good one anyway, any interest in these?
                      Rob W
                      04 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

I think once you've driven turbo cars it's hard to go back, nothing has the same sensation of power. Especially a B5 RS4. I've been thinking of building a turbo B7..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                        sigpic

Comment

Fearnsport (who tune 911s for a living) but don't sell any, said that the 997 Carreras are very poorly built, the only option worth considering are the merger engined turbo cars but they start at £25K for 996 variants... ditto for the start of the C6 V10 RS6 price wise, I am tight with my justifications, I see 20K as my max limit on a car, anything more and I would rather put the money on the mortgage and reduce that (I overpay each year)

I just don't know what to do now, there is nothing wrong with my car at all, I have spent so much money on making it reliable for the long term, but mentally I think I have checked out of this one expecting to get a 911 but the reality didn't live up to my expectations but I really can't think of or justify anything else for the money. Even the RS4 B7, which is a great car, but can I justify £10K on top of my current car for it to be not that drastically quicker, and have essentially the same interior. I know people say its a halo car, but I am not swayed by peoples perceptions of what I drive or how I appear, screw what the joneses or neighbours think.

I looked at S5's today online, disappointing to see only 11bhp more than what I drive in a different body and .4s off the 0-60... but 8K more? what gives?

Comment

Had a go in a very nice low milage B7 the other day, handling great, performance totally underwhelming.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

Totally agree with you on that, I also think the RS4 is overpriced for what it offers above a B7 S4, fine it got wide arches, different seats and a bit more power (which you can only realise with a decoke because if you don't you will be getting about 360bhp on a dyno)

Everything else is retrofittable to the S4 (flat bottom MFSW, Alu pedals and ARBs) - those things aside, you sit in it and it feels on different interior wise than the S4 (B6 or B7)

I just didn't fall in love with it enough to drop £10K over my own car. Now if I spent that £10K on my car I'd be killing RS4s all over the place, and thats what makes it not worth it IMO.

I can totally see why people love their S2s, not because of their value, but because of the experience, and thats why people spend more than the cars value on improving it, because the return is greater than the value. In the RS4's case it just doesn't add up for me.

I've had my fill of Turbos over the years and the only one I would go back to is the Supra.

Comment

My S4 replaced a GZ Supra which had replaced my S2 6/7 years back, the Supra in my opinion is still about as good a bang for buck you can get, they can be made them stupidly quick, and are fairly rapid standard, but I had it long enough, it also petrified the wife �� and she would never drive it. It can be hard to find replacements for good interesting cars without deep pockets.
                                Rob W
                                04 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X