Audi Coupe Quattro 7a --> 1z TDi swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi Coupe Quattro 7a --> 1z TDi swap questions

Hi there, I'd like more details on the Audi Coupe Tdi that were sold in the EU. I know they came with the 1z motor (which were later found in Vw Passat's here in 1996) and were only FWD.

I'd like to go diesel in one of my Coupe, but is a quattro and I want to keep that - Canadian winters !!

So, here's a few questions to start with but also looking for been there, done that experience :

1) Is the subframe and motor mount for 1z TDi's different than the 7a Quattro's ? If yes, can a subframe of one or the othe be adapted to support the swap ?
    2) What transmission does the 1z use ? Can I keep my 01a and change the gearing inside ? If yes, what clutch do i need to use ?

Bottom line, I'd like to keep this as simple as possible and the less cost as possible.

Most parts needed for easier TDi swap would come from Europe and I'd like to keep that to a minimum as I would want this one to become my daily driver and be easily maintained. We got a LOT less TDi models here and are limited in the engine/car combination that were imported here.

Thanks

Don't do it. Even after tuning the 1Z it will be noisy and slow piece of garbage.
    Diesel coupes were never made, only cabrios.

1) subframe will be ok.
    2) you can use the single mass diesel flywheel and clutch. You will not find "normal" 01A gearbox for diesel. Revs will be high with 4 & 5 on the highway.
    Using 01E from A4 means using dual mass flywheel, different prop shaft, new mounts for the gearbox, custom linkage etc.
    1989 Audi 80 Quattro
    1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

I'm not looking for something fast ... I have my 3b'd Coupe for that ... this is for winter and good fuel economy.
      Can I swap the gears in the 01A transmission ?

Thanks for the quick reply

Any S2's for sale in Estonia ? Might go ythrough that part of the world on a roadtrip in fall

Comment

Quattro, wrong gearing, weak old diesel and winter is not gonna be good on economy. Old diesels that take ages to warm up are not economical. You know that diesels sold here had electric radiators for winter, so that you could get cabin warm?
        All the engines and parts are available here, but it is rarely done because the reasons mentioned.

You need to drive a LOT, to make this worth it.
        If you want fuel economony over the 7A go for 1.8T, done million times, lots of know how, parts readily available and cheap.

Yes you can swap gears in the 01A, but where are you going to find suitable gears?

Haven't seen any S2 for sale here more than a couple of years now.

Few S2 are sale in Finland, not cheap.
        https://www.nettiauto.com/en/audi/s2

Few S2 in Sweden.

https://www.blocket.se/sodermanland/...h&cg=1020&st=s

Main portal for used cars here.
        https://eng.auto24.ee/main/mainindex.php

And for Lithuania.
        https://en.autoplius.lt/
        Last edited by M2ki; 6 May 2019, 00:21.
        1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

I had Passat TDI here (1996) and heating as well as fuel economy wasn't a problem.

I guess I'll have to think about it

Thanks for the info on where to search!

Comment

Originally posted by etsola View Post
            I had Passat TDI here (1996) and heating as well as fuel economy wasn't a problem.
            It was geared properly. Probably also had somekind electric heater from factory and was not four wheel drive.

Here few B3 and B4 tdi quattros are for sale, and have been for more than 6 months, and nobody wants them, even in the winter, when everything else with quattro gets sold pretty quickly

You'll also need 1Z manual pedalbox with pedal sensor and all the other 4 cylinder stuff, radiator, fans, cross member, diesel engine mounts, fuel pump etc.
            Also the engine must be from B4, B5, C4, C5 Audi or B5 Passat. You can't use engine from Golf or any other transverse mounted VAG engine.

I have done few engine swaps and wouldn't even consider doing this swap without donor car. You'll spend lots of money and time searching for diesel specifi stuff overthere if you want the engine bay to look like decent.
            Last edited by M2ki; 6 May 2019, 00:42.
            1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

i have to echo the advice given in the second comment, don't do it!

I have a good friend with a B5 quattro sporting the last incarnation pf the trusty 1Z engine which he purchased as a ragging wagon for when there's snow on the ground and he's most disappointed with it's performance when running it when there's snow . Even with the correct gearbox the power delivery simply is not suited for having fun in the snow, the surge of torque when the turbo spools up makes's it highly unpredictable compared to the more linear output from a naturally aspirated petrol engine. Not to mention the short power-band, which again is not suited for having fun on the white stuff.

The 7A is a great engine,though as I'm sure your aware is not light weight,meaning lots of under-steer in the snow, if I had to pick a cheap engine to fit for fun in the snow then I'd probably go for non turbo 1.8T, it's light weight, would suit the current gearing well and has a nice spread of power, okay not huge amount but enough to have plenty of fun in the snow..

1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
              1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
              1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
              1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Thanks for the concerns and advice. Thgough I'm hard headed and found may Passat to me amazing in the snow. Again, the idea is not to have fun, but to have a DD that has a good MPG.

I always wanted to own an A4 1.9 Tdi, though those weren't sold in North America ... I was even pondering importing one ... Hence the idea to swap a Tdi in my CQ. Since I'm parting the 7a engine anyways and was basically parting out the car ... I figured I'd keep it and try this little project.

I hear 4 cyl engine bolt right up to the 01a - and I have 4 spare 01a here that may go to the scrap yard. I hear there are diffs that have 3.89 ratios that is close enough to the original 02A one in the '97 Passat - that I could take the Ring and Pinion from and transplant into the CQ one.

Main question right now, what was the transmission code for the 1z ? What were their gear ratios ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by etsola View Post

I hear 4 cyl engine bolt right up to the 01a - and I have 4 spare 01a here that may go to the scrap yard. I hear there are diffs that have 3.89 ratios that is close enough to the original 02A one in the '97 Passat - that I could take the Ring and Pinion from and transplant into the CQ one.
                  Coupe Quattro 2.8 had 3.888.
                  You got something mixed up. 02A is transverse gearbox.
                  97 tdi passat synco 5 speed is 01A gearbox with code DGW and ratio 3.888

1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

Exactly !

But I was pointing that the final ratio for that engine was 3.89, which if I keep 4.11 will make it rev too high for a diesel and will defeat the purpose for good fuel economy. Though B4 quattros have had (with the 2.8) 3.89 ratios --> which I can transplant the ring and pinion in my diff. The the final gear of the transmission.

I was looking exactly at that :

I'd need the gears form an 01A DGW or EEP --> Anyone knows how much that'd be worth ? Shipped to Canada ?

And a b4 quattro Ring and Pinion. That I can source from over here I guess.

Just to be sure, I was under the impression that a the 01A casing was meant to mate both with 4 cyl and 5 cyl.

Let's say a 1z, or ALH or any other 1.9 Tdi, would it bolt to the transmission ?

Thanks

Comment

Yes.

But 3.888 suitable rear diff is only on the coupe. B4 diff wont fit.
                      1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

Usually the ring and pinion can be fitted into the casing... No?

As the rear torsen for the V8 Quattro.

Thanks

Comment

No. Tottaly different diffs.
                          1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

Ahh... Crap then.

I'll calculate with 4.11 diff what rpm it would give.

I can always put bigger tires

How about URQuattro diffs... Internals would fit?

Comment

Ha! Should've done that before!!

3.89 gives me 2600 rpm @ 75 mph with stock tire size and dgw 5th gear.

4.11 gives me 2750 rpm @ 75 mph with stock tire size and dgw 5th gear.

I won't bother then... A bit high, but hey... Still ok. I can try to source a longer 5th or use a 6th from an 01E maybe? Which is 0.56.

That'd be perfect if it can be done. Gives me 2340 with 4.11 final. Very decent!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X