No announcement yet.

Audi C4 S4 extra front caster ARB mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Des, never took a before photo, doh. Will see if I can arrange an after photo which be used to compare to a photo of the car taken a few months ago.

I did however measure it before and afterwards. 2.5 fingers beforehand at nine and three o'clock respectively, and now 2 fingers at nine and 3 fingers at three o'clock.

So there is a difference, but not too big from an 'aesthetic' point of view.

Will be 'tested' further during the week.

Pretty sure I'll be even more pleased with them that I already am by the end of the week of 'testing'.

btw, in order to be able to magically pull in the farb when wanting to line it back up into the hole for the bushes and the bar in the lower control arms, I used heavy duty ratchet canvas straps which make the job much easier, and ensure less expletives are required.

http://www.theratchetshop.com/ratche...et-straps.html

Something like this, no connection to the company, link just used to show what I'm referring to.

Used and done at your own risk etc.

Have a tub of copper grease to hand before you start.

Comment

• Fitting Front ABR Mounts

Originally posted by macspring View Post
      Did mine today, got the bolt suggested by Abert and they fit fine. The brackets also fit fine. Make sure they are both fitted the correct around

Doesn't appear to need to be tracked.

Ghetto comment, on full lock the inside wheel leans over a bit like a Merc wheel, and the outside one appears a bit more upright on full lock. Too too soon check any improvement to handling as only drove it around the block. Dark and even colder when I finished a 8pm after starting a 12.00pm. (Changed the oil as well).

The bushes were levered into position on the FARB by placing it in a slightly open bench vice and lift the bar up or down depending on which end was being fitted. There is no need to cut them. Grease the inside of the bush with the clear grease provided by Albert. Clean the anti roll bard well first to allow you to slide on the two bushes from each respective end and also so as the grease is not contaminated unnecessarily.

Will be driving it this week so that will tell a story.

Wheels do sit further forward in the front wheel arch on side profile. Is not noticeable except by the likes of me.

Like anything to do with C4 front suspension, it is hard tiring work on a wet gravel driveway with axle stands and trolley jacks. No fault of the brackets though, thanks for making them.

My S8 Mk1 255/35/18 not longer rub on the rear arch on full lock. Now just need to replace both wheels arch lines as they have been rubbed away by the tyres.

Hope this feedback helps other C4 owners.
      Fitted mine up this weekend too. Did not split the bushing but used bench vise as stated above. Same observations re wheel placement as listed above. I had some left over Porsche front caliper bolts & new lock nuts for fasteners.
      I was also fitting Thuppu's subframe bushings as well as new front control arms. Lets not get started on the aluminium vs poly debate. I prefer solid mount subframes & let the compliance be in the LCA. Late night test drive up & down the block indicated the tracking is OK but more parts to be fitted before alignment. Did notice that the ARB is close to the oil pan with suspension in droop. Picture does not show that there is a 1mm gap between ARB & pan. Replaced other suspension parts that had been crash damaged right front strut & shock & right front LCA.
      Fortunately I have a shop & lift at my disposal(where I work). I do not even check the air in the tires anymore without the car on a lift.

Attached Files
      "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

• You might be able to slide the engine/gearbox forward a bit on their mounts for additional clearance?
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
          You might be able to slide the engine/gearbox forward a bit on their mounts for additional clearance?
          Thanks, on the hit list. Needed to focus on getting car mobile under it's own power first.

Comment

• Originally posted by A1QSHIP View Post

Did notice that the ARB is close to the oil pan with suspension in droop. Picture does not show that there is a 1mm gap between ARB & pan.
            Mine is tighter than it used to be, but the plastic engine shield was put back in place before it was taken off the axle stands. Will check it when it is on a tracking ramp, but no issues so far.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, one can always learn more on here, sump to farb clearance.

Comment

• still have 3 sets for sale .. https://www.akmotorsport.net/shop/al...ounts-audi-c4/
              AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

Comment

• I'll have a set Albert, just need to measure my ARB size when I get home tonight.

Sent from apollo 13 using tapatalk
                1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• I can arange hybrid poli bush for fitting 26 mm front ARB to work with this mount if needed.
                  AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

Comment

• Yes yes, I just need to check which I need first before I order.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
                    1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• Was thinking of buying these FARB things but I got a little worried when I see how tight it is with oilpan? Couldnt this make a problem when the engine rotate and so?
                      1995 Audi S6 - AAN (~350hp)
                      2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)
                      2008 Hyundai i30 - 1.6 CRDI (89hp)
                      2011 KTM 990 SMR - custom tuned (120whp)

Comment

• Pity, I did cut my bushes when fitting. Tried a million ways to slide them on, but couldn't get it past the bar extension where the bush sits on...

Seems very close to the pan. I want a set in the future as well, but also worried about clearance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrath View Post
                          Was thinking of buying these FARB things but I got a little worried when I see how tight it is with oilpan? Couldnt this make a problem when the engine rotate and so?
                          Checked with the wheels on the ground there is about 10mm of clearance between the pan & ARB. That is with my original saggy 190K motormounts so not too worried about clearance issues.
                          Chris

Comment

• Okay, just read something about 1mm, but is it 10mm there cant be Amy problems iguess
                            1995 Audi S6 - AAN (~350hp)
                            2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)
                            2008 Hyundai i30 - 1.6 CRDI (89hp)
                            2011 KTM 990 SMR - custom tuned (120whp)

Comment

• ARB to Oil Pan Clearance

Originally posted by Wrath View Post
                              Okay, just read something about 1mm, but is it 10mm there cant be Amy problems iguess
                              Suspension in droop, wheels off the ground- 1mm of clearance between oil pan & ARB.
                              Wheels on the ground with suspension loaded- 10mm clearance between oil pan & ARB. Due to the bend in the ARB where it sets under the oil pan, this clearance will increase as the suspension is compressed. Unless you are jumping the car like in the Dukes of Hazard TV show or are rallying there should be no issues with ARB to oil pan interference.
                              Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by A1QSHIP View Post
                                Unless you are jumping the car like in the Dukes of Hazard TV show or are rallying there should be no issues with ARB to oil pan interference.

Comment

Working...
                                X