This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found out a 200 quattro 2.3 NA NF code with 240 mm single mass fly
    I have only to mount the pin for crank sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
      If you are using a flywheel with a bearing you don't need the one in the crank,
      also there are only 6 clutch bolts.
      I have the bearing for the crank now anyway, question is if the bearing is removed from the flywheel will it all align correctly still, havent got my old DM flywheel to reference against here at the moment.
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
        I have the bearing for the crank now anyway, question is if the bearing is removed from the flywheel will it all align correctly still, havent got my old DM flywheel to reference against here at the moment.
        It MAY be ok as long as you don't use the ABY gearbox spacer the input shaft should reach
        into the crank, I would measure it to make sure though.

The dual mass flywheels ABY / AAN have the bearing in them.
        As I say check the shaft will reach as I'm not sure it will, it may be the 5 speed 3B box has a longer shaft than the ABY.

I would just use the bearing in the flywheel then you know it is OK if you can't measure it.

Comment

Yeah i'll do some measuring tomorrow, I offered the flywheel up onto the gearbox earlier and looked like there would be the necessary clearance with the spacer plate removed, but will do some extra measurements as I get the engine back together.
          Greg

Comment

I have just looked at the ABY flywheel and can conclude that the 6 speed ABY gearbox input shaft is not going to reach the crank so putting a bearing in it isn't going to do anything !
            Even when you factor in removing the 6 speed gearbox spacer, which is only 8mm thick, it is not going to get into the end of the crank, so if you do the
            single mass conversion on an ABY then you need the bearing in the flywheel.
            If you look at the pics you will see what I mean.

ABY dual mass and end of crank in photos.

As you can see the ABY dual mass flywheel has a blind hole with a bearing in it
            so the shaft does not go past the bottom of this and from this you can work out that the shaft being 8mm further in is not going to get it into the crank.
            Attached Files

Comment

I guess all new boxes input shafts did not reach the crank.I have a RR fly that had no bearing in it.Could that box input shaft get into the crank?

Comment

Been out and done some measuring this morning. Ive attached an image of it.

The needle bearing I had was definitively not the right one since it was for the DM flywheel.

Measurements are with the spacer plate removed.

Managed to find the bearing that I need, I had purchased the needle bearing for 3B/ABY.

The flywheel was from an Audi 100 originally with P/N 034 105 271C and the bearing looks to be 15 x 32 x 9 plain bearing 034105276B so awaiting that now.
                Attached Files
                Greg

Comment

I dont think that flywheel is going to work for you Greg, as Jo says the gearbox input shaft isnt going to reach in far enough for the bearing in the crank. You need an S2 3B flywheel with the needle bearing mounted in the middle. The flywheel you have is for a 200 quattro with a 3B engine. I can only assume the input shaft is longer on a 100/200 gearbox.
                  91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                  93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                  94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Think it should be fine, since the bearing needs to go in the flywheel as per the dualmass picture jo uploaded. I havent got my ABY Dual mass flywheel to check against at the moment though. But the bearing in the flywheel differs on the one I have and is a plain bearing rather than a needle bearing.

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
                    I dont think that flywheel is going to work for you Greg, as Jo says the gearbox input shaft isnt going to reach in far enough for the bearing in the crank. You need an S2 3B flywheel with the needle bearing mounted in the middle. The flywheel you have is for a 200 quattro with a 3B engine. I can only assume the input shaft is longer on a 100/200 gearbox.
                    Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
                    I have just looked at the ABY flywheel and can conclude that the 6 speed ABY gearbox input shaft is not going to reach the crank so putting a bearing in it isn't going to do anything !
                    Even when you factor in removing the 6 speed gearbox spacer, which is only 8mm thick, it is not going to get into the end of the crank, so if you do the
                    single mass conversion on an ABY then you need the bearing in the flywheel.
                    If you look at the pics you will see what I mean.

ABY dual mass and end of crank in photos.

As you can see the ABY dual mass flywheel has a blind hole with a bearing in it
                    so the shaft does not go past the bottom of this and from this you can work out that the shaft being 8mm further in is not going to get it into the crank.
                    Greg

Comment

trying to get the engine and box back in atm without success so far. The sump is just about touching the antirollbar and engine mounts at their full adjustment. Ive loosed the gearbox mounts but havent managed to tweak it at all yet.

Is there only the two gearbox mounts? Considering trying to loosen diff and rear subframe to see if I can get the gearbox a few mm forward. Anyone else had similar issue and solutions? driftin_jo seems to have had a similar issue also.
                      Greg

Comment

Sorry to wake up an old thread....but.....

I have replaced my DM with a non DM lightened Flywheel (32kg to 5.5kg btw), that has the same dimensions as the DM. So the same clutch, pressure plate etc went back in and no mucking about with mounts, dowels or spacers...but the clutch plate I had was designed for a DM flywheel where a certain amount of vibration tension etc was absorbed.

Should I be replacing the DM Clutch plate, and by association the pressure plate, with a 3B clutch plate or is that just not going to work ?

I'm driving around in the car and it seems fine just want to be sure.

(Flywheel Link)

Comment

Totally different, so won't work. Just get an upgraded Sachs or other ABY clutch

Liking the flywheel, how much was it? 5.4kg is much lighter than even a lightened 7A/3B.
                          Cheers'en, AndyC
                          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                            trying to get the engine and box back in atm without success so far. The sump is just about touching the antirollbar and engine mounts at their full adjustment. Ive loosed the gearbox mounts but havent managed to tweak it at all yet.

Is there only the two gearbox mounts? Considering trying to loosen diff and rear subframe to see if I can get the gearbox a few mm forward. Anyone else had similar issue and solutions? driftin_jo seems to have had a similar issue also.
                            Offset front subframe bushes sort this right out and give more castor.
                            Cheers'en, AndyC
                            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

'bout £400 but seriously lightweight and the ISV takes care of idle so no difference noticed.

Comment

All, just going through this myself and wanted to add a bit more info for anyone looking to do it from now on.
                                The smaller diameter dowel is available from Audi 014301153 but it also looks like 022103139B is the same part but in a clear zinc plate not yellow passivate. This is listed on a lot more vehicles so should be around for a while.
                                The larger dowel is NLA in the UK. Believe ecs tuning have them in USA, but Audi UK said no. I will be turning 8mm of my existing one and refitting but i've measured it up and drawn it so it is captured, similarly i've taken 8mm off on another view.
                                Covering my *** - I've measured these with some callipers and won't be making one to these dims to double check as I have mine to turn down. The Dia15.97 was pretty repeatable and it basically fell out so its not a super tight press fit. At least it's not anymore.
                                Just thought it would be useful to capture the two parts as they seem to be only available in the history books.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X