Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ambient temperature display, complete retrofit.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder how accurate the display is, in comparison with Actual ambient temperatures. As the sensor's resistance alters with temperature, and this is read by the board, to give a readout- I wonder how much (if any) difference there would be in the readout with the sensor cables extended? Are the joints crimped or soldered? What about the connection to earth? It's feasible that all the joints could affect the readout.
    Dont want to appear pedantic; but if, on a cold night, the car is being driven enthusiastically, with the display Not showing 'Ice Alert', when the outside temperature is actually below Zero........

Comment

Ok. I got it to work. Maybe a loose connection. Not sure. Weird thing is I got it to work with my factory connector which is missing the 12v wire as mentioned.

Question though. With the car off when I swith the car key to on position but not start the car the temp displays but when I turn the headlights on the display shits off. Is that how everyone elsewhere is?

Note this with the car not started as its currently taken apart and I can't start it.

Khai

Comment

thanks for posting.

i need to change the dead bulb of my dash...

the bulb of the power mirror adjust, one is dead too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
          If you have the connector behind there, it'll be either a yellow 5 pin connector, or a black 5 pin connector. There's no mistaking it, as it's to only loose connector behind the clocks. When you order that connector (if you need to) from a dealer it'll be black. No difference between them apart from colour.
          I am doing this installation now, took the clocks out and searched for the connector, but could not find it. I just want to be sure that I have been looking in the right place. It should be right behind the clocks if it's there, right? It would be a shame to start cutting and splicing the original loom, and later find the connector.

Comment

Originally posted by khai_tuan_nguyen View Post
            Ok. I got it to work. Maybe a loose connection. Not sure. Weird thing is I got it to work with my factory connector which is missing the 12v wire as mentioned.

Question though. With the car off when I swith the car key to on position but not start the car the temp displays but when I turn the headlights on the display shits off. Is that how everyone elsewhere is?

Note this with the car not started as its currently taken apart and I can't start it.

Khai
            I retro fitted mine and have the same problem. The readout is also about 5-6 degrees out (reads warmer than it actually is) I assume this will be down to the wire I've used or connections having an incorrect resistance.
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Rs2-GTi View Post
              I am doing this installation now, took the clocks out and searched for the connector, but could not find it. I just want to be sure that I have been looking in the right place. It should be right behind the clocks if it's there, right? It would be a shame to start cutting and splicing the original loom, and later find the connector.
              Correct, it should be behind the clocks.
              91 Modded 3B
              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Thanks! I managed to find the sensor from my electronic climate unit I had lying around (convertet to manual, more durable) and I also had an gauge from a instrument panel I had also. I have ordered the connector and the wires today, will get them on Wednesday.

Piece of advice to anyone looking for the panel, according to my parts-guy at the dealer, whom have been working there for 40 years, he said that the panel / gauge was the same for Audi 100 / Audi A6 / Audi 90, and that those with automatic gearing did not have it, because they have a gear lever indicator instead.

Comment

I am right in thinking if you have the loom behind the clocks you just need to connect to the 12v supply?

Comment

Reviving an old thread :
                    what Voltage should the atd bulb have? Tried a 12v led but it sucks
                    I measured and the output on the atd is 5.8v so i guess a 6v bulb would be best.
                    Would a 3v 3mm red LED work? I don't know if it has a built in resistance or not

Comment

where are you measuring it ? It gets 12v going in to the circuit so should be a 12v bulb.
                      Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

What position is your dash dimmer at?

Comment

fixed. used a 12v normal bulb. apparently it gets 12v with the ignition on and dimmer voltage with the lights on, that's why the difference. pain in the *** to solder those tiny legs and got the last 3 bulbs at the shop

Comment

I use something like this

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X