This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
    Ive had them fitted in mine for about 4 years now and covered about 20-30k with them and been fine after I got powerflex to redesign them.... Had to fit the bushes with different prototypes about 3-4 times before they goto to the design that doesnt squeak all the time.

Greg
    So its you I have to thank then ! Brilliant job I reckon.

Cheers,

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
      I'm on stock (original) subframe mounts all round. I do have some alloy ones to try someday but me gut feel tells me they will be too harsh for everyday road use. Dunno for sure though.
      The difference is not as much as you would think in terms of noise/vibration. Does make the car feel more joined on. If anything i'd say the poly a-arm bushings degrade comfort more.
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
        So its you I have to thank then ! Brilliant job I reckon.

Cheers,

Paul
        Do they also make these bushes for the RS2 rear?
        RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

YES - go to VAGparts.com - they have a complete list. Be prepared to spend some money if wanting to upgrade all of 'em
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
            The difference is not as much as you would think in terms of noise/vibration. Does make the car feel more joined on. If anything i'd say the poly a-arm bushings degrade comfort more.
            I agree.
            SS

Comment

I'm finally going to get chance to get my front bushings done tomorrow. Just a quick question though, with the car on axle stands will i have to put the front wheels under a bit of compression when putting the bolts back on with the new bushings in?

cheers
              John

Comment

Originally posted by Smith_S2 View Post
                I'm finally going to get chance to get my front bushings done tomorrow. Just a quick question though, with the car on axle stands will i have to put the front wheels under a bit of compression when putting the bolts back on with the new bushings in?

cheers
                John
                No, you won't, you don't want the wheels under compression but you may have to push or tap gently to get the bush assembly into the subframe. As you do , make sure the nylon washer(s) don't slip out - lots of copper grease to "stick" them in place. Place the axle stand so you can get access to both nuts inside the subframe without fouling the stand.
                I also suggest you read my posts about which bolts to use to hold the new bushes in.

John

Comment

One question. Is there no powerflex bushes for the "hub arm" (when all dismantled, the one heavy bit with the hub/bearing in it, the bush in that lower region of the arm)?

I thought I'd orderd a complete set, but neither can I find something about it in here nor on the Vagparts.com site.

Anyone know?
                  Anders - S2 Avant Clubsport - 8pots or die!

sigpic

Comment

With OEM Bushes

It is adviseable to tighten the bolts that attach the wishbones to the subframe only when the wheels are under their normal commpession as otherwise the OEM bushes will "tear" themselves when the car is lowered back down onto its wheels and it will naturally "tear" themselves further when the spring compresses on a bump.

Hope this can be understood?

Bottom line, only tighten them when the car has its full weight on its wheels, ( only applies to OEM bushes ).

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the write up Paul, it helped me out a quite bit. I removed the old bushes, they were fooked, but left the outer sleeve in the arm. DOH!!! finally got it sorted. The inner nut inside the subframe is a ****** to get to!!!!

cheers
                      John

Comment

Originally posted by Smith_S2 View Post
                        Thanks for the write up Paul, it helped me out a quite bit. I removed the old bushes, they were fooked, but left the outer sleeve in the arm. DOH!!! finally got it sorted. The inner nut inside the subframe is a ****** to get to!!!!

cheers
                        John
                        Yeah, need a decent swan neck 17mm spanner to get in deep enough and then grip the nut.
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by AndersS2 View Post
                          One question. Is there no powerflex bushes for the "hub arm" (when all dismantled, the one heavy bit with the hub/bearing in it, the bush in that lower region of the arm)?

I thought I'd orderd a complete set, but neither can I find something about it in here nor on the Vagparts.com site.

Anyone know?
                          Anyone?!

sigpic

Comment

Anders, I'm confused. There is no bush in the arm below the hub bearing unless it's something I'm not familiar with unique to the Avant rear suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by johne View Post
                              Anders, I'm confused. There is no bush in the arm below the hub bearing unless it's something I'm not familiar with unique to the Avant rear suspension.
                              It is (or certanly looks like so), but I'm told that its not in the powerflex product range.

sigpic

Comment

is this for the lower control arm....sort of a metal arm with a rubber bush one end and a balljoint type fixing on the other end?
                                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X