• Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://uk.local.yahoo.com/search.htm...wid=44544&cb=1

any of those guys should be able to point you to one or have it on site
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

thanks but I also don't want it powder coated... POR15 lasts longer.
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Nice job Paul. Question..

Are you going to have the subframe seamwelded. It would appear that these subframes would benefit from such an upgrade. I would do it if I wasn't so fearful that the cheezy captive nuts inside the subframe mounts wouldn't break away!

Comment

Have been thinking about the seam welding actually - some sections seem to be spotted more closely than others.

If I don't seam weld it I will certainly consider some chemical metal or POR15 putty as a rockhard filler on the open gaps to prevent further moisture ingress.
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
            Then an application of 'Envirosol' - an eco friendly degreaser... followed by some foaming action product what was in the garage. Worked in well with a good old wheel brush.
            was the Envirosol an orangey coloured liquid , made by cloverleaf by any chance ?

Comment

Good work Paul! It's very satisfying 'renovating' parts of the car...and good thinking time too!
              1995 Audi RS2 with Supersprint Cat back

Comment

Subframe

Out of interest, what's the damage to buy a new subframe nowadays? I used to have an A6 allroad, which was damaged when some joker left a large chunk of stone on a main A road.....anyway I was staggered to find the front subframe was about £300: thought it would be more. The impact was strong enough to shear off one of the mounting bolts, which were designed to do just that to save your chassis.

The big question I have about subframes, which prevented me from removing mine during a major suspension rebuild are the scary stories you read about the mounting bolts fracturing the captive nut welds in the chassis. In our cars, which are now minimum 14 years old with plenty of sh** underneath.....how likely is that to happen??!!
                2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
                1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Comment

Had it happen on a mk2 golf.
                  You have to get the carpet out, work which cavity the captive nut is in, access it from above and fit a new nut. Right pain in the ***.
                  sigpic
                  "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
                  BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
                  1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
                  2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Or cut up the frame-rail from the side, weld in a new nut and weld it back togheter

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

Originally posted by John B View Post
                      Out of interest, what's the damage to buy a new subframe nowadays? I used to have an A6 allroad, which was damaged when some joker left a large chunk of stone on a main A road.....anyway I was staggered to find the front subframe was about £300: thought it would be more. The impact was strong enough to shear off one of the mounting bolts, which were designed to do just that to save your chassis.

The big question I have about subframes, which prevented me from removing mine during a major suspension rebuild are the scary stories you read about the mounting bolts fracturing the captive nut welds in the chassis. In our cars, which are now minimum 14 years old with plenty of sh** underneath.....how likely is that to happen??!!
                      New rear subframe for an S2 coupe - £760+VAT from Audi last year. Had to come from Ingolstadt too. Can't imagine that a front one would be much different.

Comment

Good work paul its a hard graft cleaning it i know i've done something similar take a look.
                        Last edited by docspeedtriple; 25 April 2010, 16:03.

Comment

Working...
                        X