Funfy the rescued B3 ABY coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funfy the rescued B3 ABY coupe

Here is my emerald green B3 ABY coupe I purchased late 2017. Its an early 1993 car now with 140,000 miles. The log book says I'm the second owner, but it was used by a antique car dealership on the daily for an unknown period. I have no proof but I think the dealer picked it up at a private auction.

It was in quite rough shape when I went to view it, but being an B3 with the ABY I couldn't leave it. It not being immaculate, when I rebuilt/replaced pretty much everything I didn't feel guilty for modifying a perfect example.

The interior was thrashed and damaged by the coupe water ingress issues, so most of the upper half went in the bin. What could have been saved was covered in a thick coating of spray adhesive, the stuff was everywhere. The lower half is was in better shape, most of it was saved.

The body was in surprisingly good shape, just a very small patch panel needed where the rear exhaust hanger had been bashed (flush fitted and ground back, would be hard to notice it). That virus thing gave me plenty of time to treat most of the underbody.

I have labelled and stored most of the factory parts.

Whats been done so far:

has almost all of AK motorsport catalogue, subframes/control arms/top mounts/toe links
    very old set of H&R coil overs, 11 years old now! looking at something different as uk roads suck.
    I still need to fit the ali steering bush to replace the rubber one, and the front inner and outer tie rods. (has new oem stuff at the mo)

oem 9 spokes18x8j 43et with 15mm hub centric spacer with 225/40/18 (normally go for Michelin cup 2s)
    18z front brakes (not the best choice but had a super deal on them)
    standard rear callipers, changed the carrier now have 300mm solid rear disk
    almost all new lines and hoses

01e new bearings, Wavetrack, carbon synchros, the 034 gear linkage (going to swap to b5 setup with coolerworks stick)
    rear diff new bearings, Wavetrack
    all new boots and grease, the centre prop had carrier and UJ replaced and balanced
    034 gearbox and engine mounts, track density.

The engine was worse than originally expected, so i went completely through it.
    vaper blasted almost everything
    The bores didn't have much taper/egging so it got a fresh dingle ball hone and new rings on the oem pistons.
    This is the controversial bit, i know its not the right way! Being an externally balanced engine, it should have gone and been balanced. But it hasn't, yet.
    FCP rods, ARP through out (yes all clearances where checked), king rod bearings and glyco mains.
    VR head gasket, decked the head, everything deburred, and hand lapped the stock valves back.

BST intake manifold with 034 rail to accept long 14mm injectors, phenolic spacer
    040 pump in tank, factory fuel lines to the bay, adjustable pressure reg, -8 flexi fuel lines in the bay
    wagner evo 2 front mount intercooler, plumbing fabbed up in 70mm tube.
    No bov or recerc valve for those epic turbo sounds.

30mm silicones to a burndown box for a breather

all new hoses, ali rad, Needs more ducting to not run fan on low speed all the time

OEM yes OEM k24-7000 (i have a gen 2 GTX3584RS with a .82 k24/k26 flange to fit)
    k24/26 wagner exhaust manifold
    3 inch catless downpipe
    3.5 inch cat back

freshly ground 7A flywheel with unsprung sachs racing organic disk and pressure plate (was due to go in my TDI but it got the ceramic puck instead)

still a big work in progress, theres probably more things done not listed. later ill dig out some more pics.

its my daily at the mo, so please excuse the dirt.

IMG_2.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 9.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 1.jpg

ill add the future plans later, need to get back to work!

Comment

That's going to be a monster with the Garret GTX35 fitted, looks like it's pretty much ready to bolt on, I can see why your going for an aftermarket ECU now.

Running without a diverter valve sounds willd!
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Any issues running the exhaust under the subframe? No speedbumps local to you?

Comment

Working...
        X