1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I've got 3 sets of RS2 conrods here. :mischeif:
      SS

Comment

I knew you woul have Stu.....
        Chef

Comment

cheers lads, so if there the same why does the s2 rods bend when running rs2 route

Comment

They don't if the ECU is mapped correctly.
            SS

Comment

ok thanks matey, just heard many people saying going rs2 route will bend rods, but really i dont wanna change rods, unless i really have too

Comment

It's a good idea to change the rods if you want big torque (>600Nm), but it's not essential if you stay below that level. Many people here have gone the RS2 route without changing rods. Just make sure it's mapped well with no detonation, that will kill the stock rods for sure.
                Last edited by 4WheelDrifter; 26 May 2008, 21:28.
                SS

Comment

Originally posted by nip View Post
                  cheers lads, so if there the same why does the s2 rods bend when running rs2 route
                  The RS2 turbo can bend rods on the 3B due to spark hop inside the distributor. This is due to the higher density of the in-cylinder charge, due to higher boost pressures.
                  Solution is single coil setup/upgraded coil (or perhaps a slight mod to the rotor arm, as being currently tested)
                  1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
                  1994 80E Avant
                  1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

ok thanks whats the max bhp and torque it will run estimate

Comment

ok thanks whats the max bhp and torque it will run estimate
                      Hard to say, but much lower on 3B than ADU/ABY/AAN. Boost pressure is the most decisive factor.
                      RS2 owners are running 620+nm on stock rods in cold climates (means much more than 620nm due to higher air density).
                      1994 80E Avant

Comment

ok thanks matey, just heard many people saying going rs2 route will bend rods, but really i dont wanna change rods, unless i really have too
                        Because the RS2 is tuned to 315 bhp by standard and the turbo is limited in it's torque production where as after mapping it can easily produce enough torque to bend the standard rods.

nothing to do with dizzy spark hop which doesn't apply to the S2 ABY and RS2 or Nips S2 Avant

The Stock Rods setup can run 350-360 bhp easily, it's the torque thats the problem and boost has to be reduced to keep the torque levels safe which MRC or a RS2 homefry will cater for.

To truely cut loose on the RS2 turbo requires uprated rods for safety, I believe Sal had 400bhp out of the RS2 turbo.

The other problem is if you get a boost spike you've got no safety limit.
                        Last edited by Jamo; 26 May 2008, 22:52.

Comment

ok thanks lads, either looks like im gonna bend my rods , or do the sensible thing and change the rods

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                            Because the RS2 is tuned to 315 bhp by standard and the turbo is limited in it's torque production where as after mapping it can easily produce enough torque to bend the standard rods.

nothing to do with dizzy spark hop which doesn't apply to the S2 ABY and RS2.

The Stock Rods setup can run 350-360 bhp easily, it's the torque thats the problem and boost has to be reduced to keep the torque levels safe which MRC or a RS2 homefry will cater for.

To truely cut loose on the RS2 turbo requires uprated rods for safety, I believe Sal had 400bhp out of the RS2 turbo.

The other problem is if you get a boost spike you've got no safety limit.

How often do we hear of chipped ADU's bending rods? How often do we hear about 3B's bending rods? Spark hop is very real on the 3B, especially with the wide dizzy rotor.
                            In very cold climates, a stock ADU will produce approx. 380hp and 500nm. This is well within the safety factors that Porsche used when they picked the rods for this engine.
                            Members of this forum have ADU's that produce 620nm and 2.2 bar at 3300rpms with stock turbo and rods. In cold climates, those numbers are even higher. They don't bend the rods, since the spark fire when it is supposed to.

034's 440hp 3071 kit is recommended for standard internals.
                            1994 80E Avant

Comment

some people just don't believe in me

Comment

Working...
                              X