No announcement yet.

Giving the S2 some love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After several hours and a few thousand litres of water, half of West Wales is now all over our driveway. As ever, it cleaned up well.

85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
    93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• You must be really pleased to get it back on the road again
      Give the kw a good clean every so often and spray the springs with some kind of protectant as they're prone to rust

Comment

• Damn that's a fine looking machine! What are the spec's on the wheels & tyres, any spacers?
        Last edited by 89 Coupe; 28 February 2023, 21:09.

Comment

• S2 is looking great! Ride height and tire/wheel combo look perfect.
          2001 A4 Avant QMS - FXK04'd
          1991 Audi CQ - Project
          1996 A4 12v Quattro Manual - SOLD

Comment

• Hi Sal, absolutely I will, John (Newsh) recommended a light motorcycle oil ACF50 I've used once already and will use again.

89coupe and Jb - many thanks, it does sit well and doesn't rub. The wheels are 18-inch RS4 reps with 2mm spacers carrying Michelin 225/40/ZR18's. The KW3'S make up for the lack of tyre wall, but it's still a firm ride compared to stock. Dave (Tractor Dave) is probably best to describe the difference as I've only driven ours, but personally, I cannot fault it.

Last edited by Ian Simmonds; 1 March 2023, 23:33.
            93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Just finished reading your whole thread, what a journey!
              You must be really pleased after doing the headliner and all the suspension stuff, it looks great mate!

Comment

• "Dave (Tractor Dave) is probably best to describe the difference as I've only driven ours, but personally, I cannot fault it. "
                A bit more firm than my standard suspension set up but exceptionally well planted and not crashy over a very poor test ring. Especially considering its on 18" wheels. All in all, an excellent set up
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• The elipsoid redemption…

Before I even start this post, I’ve got to give a huge thanks to John (newsh) who gave up a couple of hours to pore over schematics and listen to me trying to fry the car.

This started way back when, when Dave (tractor Dave) sold me a pair of elipsoid lamps in care worn condition. Knowing my original Hella were flaking (and getting ropey), I decided to tidy the elipsoids up and fit them.

I started this job last summer and finished it yesterday. Tardiness and procrastination being the root cause.

Anyway, John pm’d me the elipsoid thread and I set too.

Fitting was easy.

The old, nicely yellow ones

​​​​​

Came off, and the shiny elipsoids went on.

Then the fun started with the wiring. The trick here (for this car) was to swap the 2.5mm yellow wire from pin 7 to pin 8. It did take us about an hour messaging and finally a phone call to work through the options, but we got there.

Ordered a couple of new H1’s to fit.

Incidentally, anyone fitted LED side lights and recommend a brand? The incandescent ones in it at the moment are pitiful.

93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• New set of bulbs arrived today. Jobs a good’n.

93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Looks lovely. You did a good job on those lights. Now you need to send me your cluster to replace the faces
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Really weird fault with the S2 today, and an even more bizarre 'holistic' fix.

I parked back on the drive with the S2 this afternoon and the fan kept running on speed 2. I left it, thinking it'll shut off, but 15mins later it was obvious that wasn't going to happen.

Anyway, after some tinkering, I tapped the Aircon relay and it immediately stopped. Looking at the relay board, there's three "214's", so I swapped in the fog light relay '214' to replace the Aircon relay, and all is copasetic.

Here's the weird bit.

Three weeks ago the Ur quattro had the X relay fail and I swapped in the one from the RallyRep, then ordered the 'as described part number' direct replacement.

Of course it wasn't... But as a £10 venture I just wrote it off.

Guess what? The 'as described' X relay turns out to be a direct replacement for '214', air con relay...

So that is now happily sat in the S2 powering the fog lights rather than 'relief' relaying in the Ur

​​​​​​You couldn't make it up.

​​​
                        93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• I’ve refitted the clear indicators.

So, the choice… Original OEM Hella with orange indicators

as was…

​​​​​​

Or Elipsoids with OEM clear indicators.

93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• I like the second option - very clean.

Comment

• Another vote for clear. Looks more sleek
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• 2nd option looks fab

Comment

Working...
                                X