Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macspring View Post

Maybe NGK ?

Remember to also flush the hydraulic pipe leading to the clutch slave cylinder on your gearbox.

Car looks a good as ever, but not fond of your spare BBS cross spoke rims tbh.

Splits are very nice.

Looking forward to your feedback when it is done, and then done again after the RS2 spec is put in place. ( I am assuming your are doing it in two stages ??… )

I read on here that it was suggested to use FR5DP and it seems people had good results with them I believe

Thanks for the tip about the clutch, about 2 litres should be enough to flush it all out!

Not fond of the 17s myself either but will have to get those changed some day surely. Have only been a temporary solution to my 18s needing a refurb and preventing them from further damage due to our roads

Gonna be in two stages yes,

First get the timing, aux belts, a/c comp fixed (fingers crossed), new intercooler, snub mount etc fitted, chase for boost leaks, cam cover replace + gasket, cam sensor and ISV clean hoping one of those could be the culprit for the car randomly turning itself off.

After I've got the turbo, exhaust manifold and ECU mapped accordingly I can fit the RS2 Spec items (Injectors, fuel pump already in hand), have a new 3 inch exhaust system made up locally and other things that I keep forgetting I need to do on the car, I have a list though!
    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post

Maybe NGK ?

I think the spark plugs you might have been worried about are the Bosch F5DPOR
      1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Your passenger side headlight looks a bit wonky, get it straightened

Comment

I think it's the wing actually, previous owner had two new front wings fitted, the bumper isn't aligned either on the driver's side .

There is actually still green paint on the inside of this bumper as it is not the original, it is not visible though so I keep the money for the important things, the car would benefit from a full respray to be honest due to stone chips, a scratch on the drivers door, rear tailgate scratches etc but that's one for the quattro coachworks boys but at the moment I can live with the few blemishes

Paintwork is actually really amazing for an 18 year old car
          1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Will have the car in the garage tomorrow finally! Temporarily stored in a room there for about a month or so till I get a lot of work done on it and I mean A LOT!

Was wondering if anyone could guide me on top mounts, I've never heard any noises before but having read that these are a very weak point and considering my suspension is super stiff combined with the appalling roads in Malta, I'm sure these must be ready to come apart if they haven't already! Have done about 6k since it's been in Malta so they might have come apart.

Are the top mounts front to rear different? Will try have a look tomorrow and check their condition, hopefully we can get the car up to the second level of our garage considering it is quite steep and may not get up there at all..bumper coming off before though as well as exhaust!

Thanks everyone and lots of pics to come if all goes as planned
            1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

I have just posted to your fb page a pic of used and new top mounts bud. Unfortunately my phone won't upload it to here. I can always tell when mine need replacing as it steers sloppy and/or knocks. If ever I get a knock from the front I replace the top mounts and usually it solves the issue.

Hope you get it into the garage and get the list completed quickly bud. Look forward to watching the progress.

Comment

Very very nice. It sits lovely on the splits

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Christophski View Post
                  I have just posted to your fb page a pic of used and new top mounts bud. Unfortunately my phone won't upload it to here. I can always tell when mine need replacing as it steers sloppy and/or knocks. If ever I get a knock from the front I replace the top mounts and usually it solves the issue.

Hope you get it into the garage and get the list completed quickly bud. Look forward to watching the progress.
                  Cheers Chris, still have to take a look at mine, will most likely be changing them either way depending on what I find

Originally posted by Jaswan View Post
                  Very very nice. It sits lovely on the splits

Jason
                  Cheers Jason, be a while before it sits like that again

So had the car down today at the garage, we took the bumper and exhaust off before taking it up, also adjusted the ride height at the front and raised it to ease clearance. Got up there easily and into the room where the work will be done for the coming weeks. The sound with the downpipe off was something else, awesome

So here's a couple of parts that are to be fitted

DPP_2185 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Rear brake kit from quattro corner

DPP_2186 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2189 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Timing kit

DPP_2187 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

My mechanic in the room working on it, he is great and I'm happy to say I have 3 mechanics in the garage that are able to help out with anything and are great at what they do, good stuff

DPP_2190 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Plan on powdercoating the backplate, front subframe and that's pretty much it for now on that front

DPP_2191 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Rear subframes with superflex bushes fitted, balljoint left as it is fine

DPP_2192 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2194 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Tools, bits and bobs, powerflex diff bush

DPP_2195 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Whiteline RARB on the stiffest setting with new drop links at the rear

DPP_2196 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

New ball joints at the front and bushes combined with RS2 FARB and superflex ARB BUSH

DPP_2198 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2199 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2200 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Subframe to be taken off at the front and powder coated, downpipe to be taken off and replaced with a full new 3 inch system and will be keeping the rear part of the exhaust with the large box

DPP_2201 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

As she stands now, more work to come in the following days/weeks

DPP_2208 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2209 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Parts to come:

Roose boost pipes
                  Snub mount and clutch linkage from Andy
                  Subframe bushes at the front to be replaced
                  Full timing renewal, wagner intercooler
                  Top mounts most likely and so much more
                  1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

More work has been done today, rear tie rods, front subframe, rear hubs removed though I can't quite get the ABS sensors out so soaking them overnight in hydraulic fluid, I unplugged them from under the seat and removed with the hubs

Got the front porker calipers off ready for powder coating as well as the new rears, all to be done in silver as I think would come out quite nicely

Front Subframe, hubs to be powder coated in black, rear tie rods most likely to be replaced completely along with new rear wheel bearings. Got all the front end off ready to get the timing done this week and fit the new Wagner Intercooler, snub mount to come from Andy, can't wait the OEM one looks a pants design

Will most likely have the car SORN till the work is done as will most likely get the RS2 Spec done whilst it is off the road, all that is required is RS2 turbo from Will @ VRS and Wagner exhaust manifold . Still have to work out mapping the ECU but that will come later

More pics coming soon
                    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Had the timing done today, took a while to figure out how to use the 3256 tool effectively but in the end we used two rocks to help keep the tool in place

Video of the timing belt before the change, is it normal for it to be so loose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZS...ature=youtu.be

Video of the car running after the belt change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAGI...ature=youtu.be

Next step is RS2 Spec when the turbo arrives from Will @ VRS and will have a map set up for it

Got some stuff at the powder-coaters and other goodies still to come, work should resume some time at the end of this month
                      1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Ryan what did you pay for the Rs2 turbo from Will@ Vrs as i thought you were going for the Iroz Rs2 turbo. Oh and Ryan where did you get the timing locking tool from? i have tried looking but can't find one.
                        Last edited by bilko0795; 17 February 2014, 08:48.

Comment

Paid 1395GBP for a new RS2 turbo, Will was very helpful and would defo recommend .

Billet RS2 would require proper mapping for the extra air-flow so as I can't get that done locally, will stick to a stock RS2 setup which will mean just sending ECU over to have it done

Timing locking tool for the ABY is 3256, 3B is 2084 but some have preferred to adapt the 2084 to work on ABY as the 3256 isn't exactly the perfect tool for the job.

It's recommended in my opinion to do it while the car is on the floor so you can support the crank locking tool with a jack-stand. The tool is meant to hold via the snub mount bracket's location but there isn't sufficient thread from the tool's bolt to really get it to hold properly and is not safe/worth the risk of causing any damage so you need something to support it.

The car was sitting on jack-stands so we used something else instead to make it work with the help of two rocks as per below

photo (3) by ryanaqui, on Flickr

I got the tools from Germany

VAG 3256:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Audi-Volvo...item43b9cd926a

VAG 3212: Counter hold tool when tightening the bolts for the crank sprocket

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Audi-Spann...item415fe48cf7
                          1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

What is the name of yours Porsche wheels?

They are beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by diogocartier View Post
                              What is the name of yours Porsche wheels?

They are beautiful!
                              That would be ETA Beta Turbo 18" wheels
                              1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Timing locking tool for the ABY is 3256, 3B is 2084 but some have preferred to adapt the 2084 to work on ABY as the 3256 isn't exactly the perfect tool for the j

I got the tools from Germany

VAG 3256:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Audi-Volvo...item43b9cd926a

VAG 3212: Counter hold tool when tightening the bolts for the crank sprocket

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Audi-Spann...item415fe48cf7[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ryan for the info i might go for the billet Rs2 turbo as i can get it mapped ,don't know the diff between the two turbo's though has the billet got more power? I am also thinking about the K26 and the volvo 7400 i am not after mega power 330-350 would be ample for an old codger like me. I also fancy them eta beta wheels you have they look really nice on the car

Comment

Working...
                                X