My 1996 Silver ABY Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bilko0795 View Post
    As said Ryan cracking job this as inspired me once again to get mine sorted as iv only a few years left to enjoy the car It's hopefully going for a full respray in august or if they can fit me in sooner, i was going to give quattro coachworks a shout but i have found a classic car restorer near me they are used to doing 50s and 60s cars merc's mainly said my car was a bit modern but they will do a good job said it will take 2 to 3 months to complete, then it's the power mods i am going to Mrc in may for a health check to give an idea if the engine is sound and then start getting the stuff togeather.

keep up the good work.
    Thanks mate, good luck with the respray but by the sounds of it sure they'll do a cracking job! . As long as the car is serviced and maintained well there should be no issues being it is a 5 pot Audi engine after all

Originally posted by Michael S2 View Post
    Looking good Ryan. Your not messing about. So are RS2 turbos still available new?
    Yep, broke the bank and I'm skint at the moment, hopefully may have enough left to get a set of Recaros in there , all that money spent and I haven't even got those yet . Will need them for when I get a euro trip planned!

I assume RS2 turbos are still available new, I got mine from Will @ VRS, expensive new but the service provided and not having to worry about it being a non genuine source is a plus when spending that sort of money on a turbo . Just an idea, direct from Audi it is 4,000 GBP
    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Originally posted by rynaqui View Post

Some stuff has come back from the powdercoaters including front subframe, hubs, back plates and a few other bits and bobs. Calipers on their way to me very soon . All of the items were done in silver but we gave them two extra coats of black paint when they arrived, came out ok but am sure it will all come off in future anyway . They are galvanized and powder coated with very strong industrial paint so they should last a long time

DPP_2215 by ryanaqui, on Flickr
      I'm thinking of doing the same when I have acquired all the necessary suspension arms, links etc. what kind of paint did you use?

Comment

I asked the powdercoater what was the strongest paint he had available, for these parts he used industrial paint which is really strong, before that they were blasted, galvanized and then coated with this paint. Afterwards we painted them black for a better look as they were actually painted in silver (He did not have black available so I opted for silver and then painted over with a black aerosol)

I still think they look great in silver but black is a bit more OE!

And if you're considering doing this, consider wheel bearings, good luck removing the ABS sensors (PITA!) and get all the old bushes out for wishbones and subframes before sending them off!
        1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

OE is the look I'm going for! Rust brown just doesn't have the same appeal

I'll have to keep track on this thread to see how well yours hold up - though you live in a much better climate than me

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4688 View Post
            OE is the look I'm going for! Rust brown just doesn't have the same appeal

I'll have to keep track on this thread to see how well yours hold up - though you live in a much better climate than me
            True mate but the black aerosol paint just doesn't last at all, get them powdercoated black and not painted as it is not as strong. Personally think I do prefer the silver paint though . Having my calipers powder coated in a grey gloss colour to match the cam cover, wondering how they will turn out as I want something different, I think they will turn out great!
            1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

I absolutely love your S2 matey you're doing a bloody great job! Wish you lived in this country I would hand you the keys of mine and say here sort it out any niggly job sort and don't worry about expense! Liking this thread

Comment

ohhhhhh yeah !!

what a car and nice work on it, makes me wanna do some on mine.

a Silver ABY, the dream one !
                S2 's and oldtimers

Comment

Originally posted by anthonys2 View Post
                  I absolutely love your S2 matey you're doing a bloody great job! Wish you lived in this country I would hand you the keys of mine and say here sort it out any niggly job sort and don't worry about expense! Liking this thread
                  Cheers Anthony but really can't take much credit as my mechanic has done most of the work, I just do the sprucing up, cleaning and breaking the bank for all the parts and services used . Sure you could give your car to Alex and he can sort it out for you, when he's done with his car ofcourse

Originally posted by geryS2 View Post
                  ohhhhhh yeah !!

what a car and nice work on it, makes me wanna do some on mine.

a Silver ABY, the dream one !
                  It is lovely but some things are missing from the interior such as heated seats, cruise control and pop out rear windows
                  1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Bit more work as of late while the oil cooler bracket was being fabbed up by my local engineer, 90 euro all in for the bracket fabrication and 100 euro in other machining work for the rear brake carriers and discs, top job and brakes all bled .

The 4 pot porsche calipers were re-built using new seals all round etc etc, about 250 all in from http://www.pro-calipers.co.uk/

All cold galvanized (96% Zinc)

Men at work

1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Looking good mate (the parts I mean). What brakes do you use at the rear?

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                        Looking good mate (the parts I mean). What brakes do you use at the rear?
                        Brake upgrade from quattro corner

Just a few modifications to make it all fit
                        1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Very nice. Is that the original oil cooler?
                          Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Yep all original except for the bracket as that was on back order, more expensive so had one fabbed up which is great quality, galvanized so it won't rust at least not for a long time

The old oil cooler and bracket were badly rusted..needed replacing but glad that's over with
                            1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Update:

Oil cooler painted and fitted with a modification to the shroud

IMG_0925 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_0926 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

RS2 Airbox and air guide, also bought the underheadlight air guide as this was missing

IMG_0932 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_0930 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_0931 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Yesterday adding some final touches after it was taken down for the next day

IMG_0937 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Purchased new headlight lenses with gaskets, no pics of those though unfortunately but I do have pics from today back home

DPP_2278 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2277 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Video of RS2 spec: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b9X...ature=youtu.be

Car is working great so far, all that is required is to fix the ABS light, get an alignment done, clutch is also slipping when the car has been warmed up a fair bit so will be thinking of a SMF conversion with an uprated clutch very soon so that is next on my list of things to do, anything recommended to get done while the box is off, new slave cylinder, rear crank seal?
                              1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Very very clean. Top job.
                                Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                                X