Looking good.
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Cheers, yeah, apart from the flat paint and the two dings in the bonnet

It's all relative, it was covered in green slime still this morning

One other thing, got a rumble when coasting from the rear at low speeds, and also when at or above motorway speeds on-throttle, any ideas?

Comment

Looking good.

Good luck with finding one Mr Simmonds. I think them being broken for things like cams etc are most likely the reason why you can always find the odd 10v but never a 7a. Very annoying. A quick scan around just now doesn't appear to show anything worthwhile. Cannot recall where I saw it but there was a Maroon 20v CQ recently for about a grand but it needed some work.

Comment

Yep I saw a red one around November/December, in S Wales, but no MOT etc and still went for ~£800 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
            got a rumble when coasting from the rear at low speeds, and also when at or above motorway speeds on-throttle, any ideas?

Could be a rear wheel bearing or hopefully not rear axle.Check it's oil level.Hopefully just a wheel bearing.
            94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

That would be annoying... might just drive it until it gets worse Worth looking at the prop as well?

It'd be odd if it was the diff I think, was fine before, all the way up to 135...

Comment

Have a look at the stickies in the electrical section for info on stripping & rebuilding your stalk switches - may well solve your rear wiper issue
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Just trying to cover what it could be but it is most probably a wheel bearing.Which is reasonably cheap enough to buy another.Might as well do both if that is the problem.
                  94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Cheers Error, this is a new Febi stalk -the old hazard switch worked, but was only intermittently giving juice to the indicators... I looked at the sticky a short while ago when I couldn't remember or work out how on earth to get the switches released from the column

Cheers Voursch, I will get a passenger with good ears in the back and see what they make of it. Odd thing is it disappears at lower road speed under power, but up and cruising it comes back in....

Finally, proper drives today now.... my goodness does she sing

Comment

And today's niggles are:

1) Smell of fuel inside car -can only assume tank outlet or I forgot to re-connect some aspect of the vapour thingy in the boot.
                      2) Rumble is definitely a quick 'whoom-whoom-whoom' noise, disappears when on the throttle up to about 40, after that it starts to come back in. When coasting the noise is constant. Reminds me of when I have had a propshaft go on the Land Rover...

Going to look at the fuel issue first...

Comment

Fuel leak is a little connection for the vapour tank where it connects to the fuel tank -the steel pipe has come loose (not come out) in the tank skin

Obviously only appeared once I brimmed the tank yesterday... going to try some repair putty I have somewhere if I can find it...

More on the rumble, strongly suspecting something driveline related.... prop or rear LH driveshaft. Almost like a flapping sound.

Needless to say it is eurobox time for the trip to Swindon tomorrow

Comment

OK, well 'QuickSteel' putty found in my toolchest, mixed a small amount up and applied it to the base of the pipe.

Before:

After:

That wet on the lip of the tank is all fuel, safe to say it was leaking quite badly for an internal leak....

I roughed the area around the pipe with industrial brillo-pad (brown) which is excellent stuff, and then cleaned down with brake cleaner to degrease/de-dust. The putty goes off in about 15 minutes apparently, but will leave it until tomorrow before bodging it at all

The rumbling from the rear is also solved.... mea cupla I'm afraid... rather embarrassingly the wheel bolts were slightly loose, no idea how that happened, but glad I didn't use it to go to Swindon this morning! Also found a small rattle when shoving the wheel left and right... turned out the tie-rod -> subframe allen bolts weren't quite tight enough... both of them, barely perceptible movement though, so pretty sure the rear toe won't have been affected, but I guess I can stop in for a free check

I guess this is a problem when you are working only one day at most on the car.... you forget bits you have done and not done.

Thankfully neither were major problems.... now I can go drive it again

One other thing I noticed, a steering wheel wobble when cornering left, relatively low speed, over a small bump, I'm guessing here it is a shock... anyone any thoughts? All I have done here is subframe and new bottom arms with polybushes.
                          Last edited by Bowie69; 17 February 2014, 16:27.

Comment

Stripped and rebuilt wiper motor with fresh grease, what was in there was the consistency of toffee... can't have been doing any good.

Still not working though I have proved the motor is OK by shorting from the red/blue (ignition live) to black/green (this SHOULD be the feed from the wiper relay) and it wiped the rear window, nice and smoothly, for the first time ever.

So I guess going by this: http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/workshop/sc...ul91/page1.png

and this: http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/workshop/sc...ul91/page2.png

...I probably need to lift the rear seat and see if a push on the switch = a pulse to the relay. There is no juice getting to the motor when you push the switch (checked with multimeter).

The rear washer works fine, and I checked the wiring in the rubber boot at the top of the tailgate and all OK apart from a thick-ish brown one, which has split a little insulation, will most likely just self-amalgamating tape it in this case.

Wire going to bolt on motor is an adequate earth (according to test light).

But frankly now it has started to rain (again) and it is really rather chilly, hence this post on here with a warm cup of coffee

One bonus I measured the voltage at the back of the car with the engine running, 14.4V, it only ever used to run about 13.8 for some reason before, so changing the regulator was well worth doing

Comment

Great stuff about the Rumble you had and finding it was just the wheel bolts loose.Cost free repair then....excellent! I have done that once years ago and i agree with you when you work only one day at a time you forget a lot. I practise check it once over when even you think all is done to be on the safe side.

The fule smell was interesting one for me as my cabby stinks of fuel first thing in the morning and yet its low mileage and lived in a garage all it's life.I hope its nothing as serious as what you found.Does that repair putty work well?
                              94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

I will find out about the putty when I am brave enough to turn it round so it is parked on the slope the other way round

It's certainly very sticky and gets really warm once you have it mixed up, nice and pliable, and has now set like stone! So gets my vote so far, fingers crossed it will hold the fuel as well

In other news, the intermittent wiper relay is toast, well very very rusty It must have been doing something as the front wipers no no longer park themselves properly when I turn them off(!) but in getting it out the fuse box it is now mullered.

Not sure the wiring diagram is 100% correct that I linked above, as pushing 12V down the fuse box on the right pin(53) started the front wipers going but not the rear...

Comment

Working...
                                X