No announcement yet.

Resurrection of my CQ20V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very nice find and if that was £60 to include buying and delivery a bargain!!
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• P.s. if anyone has any SL423's in MINT condition, please let me know

Out of interest there are at least 3 types:

SL423 ET37, 7x15 mirror finished rim, correct for my car (Coupe), normally fitted with 205/60/15. Original part number: 895 602 025E
      SL359 ET45, 7x15 seem to all be painted rims, normally fitted to 90's, and fitted with 195/50/15. Original part number: 893 601 025 P
      SL510 ET38, 6x14 mirror finished rim, not sure on fitment, but most likely on 80/90, has 'speedline' cast into one of the spokes. Original part number: 193 071 490
      Last edited by Bowie69; 19 June 2014, 12:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
        Very nice find and if that was £60 to include buying and delivery a bargain!!
        Yup, it was inclusive of everything! Was pleased

Slowly, slowly catchy monkey

*edit* Just checked, £56.31 delivered!
        Last edited by Bowie69; 19 June 2014, 12:49.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
          P.s. if anyone has any SL423's in MINT condition, please let me know

Out of interest there are at least 3 types:

SL423 ET37, 7x15 mirror finished rim, correct for my car (Coupe), normally fitted with 205/60/15. Original part number: 895 602 025E
          SL359 ET45, 7x15 seem to all be painted rims, normally fitted to 90's, and fitted with 195/50/15. Original part number: 893 601 025 P
          SL510 ET38, 6x14 mirror finished rim, not sure on fitment, but most likely on 80/90, has 'speedline' cast into one of the spokes. Original part number: 193 071 490
          All my 90 20V alloys were polished rims and thats how they left the factory. SL359 ET45, 7x15 Original part number: 893 601 025 Part numbers you supplied are correct.Just checked mine.You must have seen this wheel after a refurb to say they are normally painted.
          94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

• Odd isn't it, I somehow get the impression that Audi started supplying them painted on later models due to corrosion, but I may be mis-remembering that

Comment

• Maybe they did but the vast majority will be a polished rim. Your on the money knowing the different part numbers etc.
              Last edited by Vorsprung durch Technik; 19 June 2014, 13:19.
              94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

• To add to this list:

SL323 ET38, 7x15 mirror finished rim, painted dark grey in the middle, has 'speedline' cast into one of the spokes, often quote as cabrio fitment, probably later models in EU/Germany, as not seen them on Ebay UK. Original part number: 893 071 493
                SL323 ET38, asme as above, but silver in the middle, original part number: 893 071 493 A

Comment

• Been a long while since updates, lots of little bits done recently, but nothing really gone wrong in a big way, still being used daily, getting 24+ MPG all the time, which I can live with given the roads round here

Recently done:

Oil & filter change

Fitted aux radiator bracket so it is actually held in place by everything it should be now (thanks Mark!)

Fitted radiator shrouding -LH piece was smashed after getting caught in the alternator belt at some point in history, bottom bit was missing due to running with no undertray for many years, RH bit was fitted a while ago, but didn't fancy pulling the radiator etc out at the time. (thanks Mark!)

Changed thermostat -a Mahle item from Pete @ Quattro Corner, hopefully this will stop it going cold at cruise and keep the excellent heater temps up, as well as speed warm up -the difference in quality between the two was amazing... the Mahle one had rubber bits to seal properly, and a much larger central part that does the opening.

Changed both front wheel bearing -man that was a pig(!) Both OE ones from QC

Swapped heater fan for a late model Cabrio fan, as old one squealed, popped a fuse and died a death! Very easy to do on these, just one bolt to lower the glove box

Swapped drivers door hinge -now stays open on my driveway which is a slight slope -very handy Also adjusted it so I can shut it without needing to give it some welly...

One more mint speedline arrived.... one more until I can get a set of 4 on it, well once I have tyres that is! On that, I heard back from plastidip UK, to coat something in clear gloss, you do indeed need to use their base 'clear' coat, and then put their glossifier on top -I am going to try this on these wheels to see how well it lasts and protects.

I am slowly getting the bits together for a cam belt change, I have the 27mm 3/4"drive socket, extension and breaker bar (actually found this useful when doing the wheel bearings for the final 90 degrees!), need to find the cash for the belt, water pump, tensioner and also pretty desperately the crank seal which appears to be pouring oil out at quite a rate!

The other project I have is to get a towbar onto it, but make it a removable one. I have a fixed version of the tow bar, and have bought a S/H Peugeot 406 swanneck flanged tow ball like this:

This will allow me to mount my bike rack to the flange, but also be able to unbolt the whole swanneck from the tow bar, leaving the clean Coupe lines intact that's the plan anyways, and no way I was going to pay the £300+ for the 'proper' one, even if it was shiny and new!

That's about it I think.... apart from a driving lamp bulb that went(!), been very reliable

Comment

• No worries Pete,just happy the bits have gone to a good home!

Your definitely a jammy bu*ger with those wheels,but then again you have been very very patient,slowly slowly catching your monkey.I am sure it will be worth it in the end. Great you managed to get a heater motor in the end.Like your idea for the bike rack solution without spending a fortune.
                    94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

• I do tow fairly often, so the last 3 months with no tow vehicle has been a bit of a pain, so getting the bar sorted is definitely the next job

Anyone know how to trick the bulb check into working OK when towing? Heard rumours of a magic box, or have I been misinformed?

Comment

• Hi,

Some work has been done indeed
                        no idea concerning the towbar stuff
                        Seb

http://www.carthrottle.com/garage/CS...o-2-3-20v-abt/

Comment

• Going to chop about the second hand Audi tow bar I have to allow me to fit/remove the peugeot ball hitch using a pair of bolts.

Will require some bracing on the bar to make sure it is strong enough (6mm plate in places) but nothing too difficult to make with a bit of CAD

Comment

• Oh and new stat makes a big difference

Comment

• WELL..... won 2 more SL423s on the bay of E, at the bargain price of £53 each delivered from Germany, look in mint condition, will see when they turn up, not been disappointed yet!

Comment

• Excellent stuff mate! Get some pictures up.
                                94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X