No announcement yet.

Resurrection of my CQ20V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, done other timing belts, but none on an engine I had so much emotional attachment too Extra vigilance, took my time and the end result was a job well done

P.s. If anyone wants to borrow a home made 2084(?) tool they are more than welcome to!

Think mine goes deeper than the 'proper' one, and didn't budge a millimetre when removing or torquing up: http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articl...ls/vag2084.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
      Nice clean job on the front of the engine mate. I makes all the difference doesn't it. Watch out for dodgy reconned PS pumps though, most of them are rubbish and leak soon after fitting..
      Cheers Newsh, yeah clean is the new 'can't be bothered!'

Plan was to get a second hand pump and put it to a local (hopefully) refurbers, but will see how it pans out, but I don't intend on paying loadsa money out for one which has basically just had a spray job. Current one has always seeped a bit, but it's on 178.5K now, so it is probably allowed

Comment

• If it works fine and just seeps a bit, maybe you can fit a seal kit yourself?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

• Yeah considered that too! Looked at the strip down thread and thought I haven't got the time, but I may well yet go down that route

Do you know where to get the kits?

Comment

• Alex will I reckon

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

• Nice work! Did you fit all the radiator shrouds and the alternator?
              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
              96 URS6 plus speck estate
              94 2.6 80 Avant
              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Yeah they've been fitted a while now and running sweet, thanks Mark!

Just a thought, one more job, refit the under tray...
                Last edited by Bowie69; 18 July 2015, 09:21.

Comment

• need AAN inside..

Comment

• Nope.

Comment

• OK, so a weird one yesterday!

After a re-start the brake pedal became intermittent in its action, and was pulsating whilst I rested my foot on it, without the car even moving. Pulsing was related to engine revs.

All the threads I have read suggest that this is a dead bomb, in fact doing the engine off bomb test gave me sufficient info to say it was -I had zero pumps before it went solid(!)

So, in keeping with the diagnostics threads, I removed the brake servo return line, after I worked out which one it was (the one on the top), nipped it up and started the engine, held revs for 20 seconds, stopped, removed return line again -no drips whatsoever. Great, must be the bomb then -£240 quote from Quattro Corner arrived by email...

Put it all back together again (including the brake master reservoir, as I had to remove it to get access to the return line once rounded, new union and re-flared the end of the pipe), started the car to check for leaks -none, and no juddering pedal either.........

Test drive -perfect, in fact sharper than they have been for a while, emergency stops from 60MPH to nothing, ABS kicking in nicely, multiple times, and pedal feels perfectly good and normal...

Only thing I can think is the check valve got grot stuck in it -but is this even possible? Would that cause the problem?

Pentosi was changed a year or so ago, so looks pretty clean.

Any other thoughts?

Or do I just go for vacuum servo

Comment

• My Urs4 did this and a tap with a hammer near the servo would "fix" the problem for a while. Maybe your spannering had the same effect as my hammer. I'm now on a vacume system...

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hmm, possibly, that or the aggressive pressing of the brake pedal....? Gonna put a small hammer in my car

At £250 once delivery is added from QC (or anywhere else I guess), a vacuum system looks very tempting...

Thinking is, at 25 years and 187K the pump, servo and bomb are all likely to be pretty knackered, pump already seeps a bit, so could end up changing the lot out which would be way more £££s than a simple servo system....

Comment

• Indeed. The hydro systems works well when it's in good order. Once bits start going wrong the bills are outrageous. My advice is start planning your vacuum conversion now
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• On ebay at the moment...

Anyone know the part number for direct replacement vacuum servo on a 7A engined car? I read in another thread, the 7A master cylinder was same as S2, so that opens things up a bit

Then there's the PAS pump to deal with... do you just remove the pistons and loop the lines or just bung them?

Will probably fit a single stage pump at some point, but that can wait, not long moved house, so bills are making things pretty tight...

Comment

• A load of info here to sift through. I posted a p/n somewhere in the thread:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54144
                                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X