Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nj View Post
    ha! I know what you mean. Especially with "just" as CQ20v with no turbo

It's hard to know if you're just blogging for no apparent reason but when you take the time to photograph and write things up, then someone comes along and says thanks for taking the time, then it makes it worth it.

Defo worth the effort, guys- defo appreciated.....the CQ20V has so much character...makes up for lack of speed

Comment

• Originally posted by Nj View Post
      ....the small ball of fear in my stomach
      I can relate to that......AKA the "buyer beware belly ache"!

Originally posted by mackenzie50 View Post
      Defo worth the effort, guys- defo appreciated.....the CQ20V has so much character...makes up for lack of speed
      .....and that's why you have one too!

How's your overhaul going?

Comment

• Well today saw me finally fitting the clutch master cylinder I have had on the shelf for a month.

Not a bad job, took about an hour and a half, trickiest bit was accessing the union almost behind the vacuum servo....

I undid and swung the steering column away to get better access to the two Allen bolts, made it so much easier! There are two holes in the cast aluminium assembly that you can poke an Allen key through, actually easier than using hex bits in a ratchet.

Bled it up with the eezibleed, with the pedal in the down position and immediately got a good pedal.

Reason for doing this.... The pedal was getting stuck half way down! Been doing it intermittently for a while, finally had time to sort properly.

Comment

• Forgot to say! I swapped the push rod over from old cylinder, as new one was without the little rubber damper/doughnut -just popped the circlip out and swapped them round
          Last edited by Bowie69; 2 May 2017, 07:34.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
            My old calipers are going to a good home shortly, Slacky on here, hope he gets the same result as me
            Some more good work & tips
            & many thanks for the calipers arrived Sunday morning!
            On the list of refurb items I'll get the kit ordered ,was it from the bigred website ?
            sigpic
            Cab 2.3E
            90q
            URS6

Comment

• Yup, this one : http://www.biggred.co.uk/brakecalipe...rkit_brk203816

If you stick your reg in it will find the parts for you, I suspect I'll be doing the fronts at some point in the near future.

Comment

Yup, this one : http://www.biggred.co.uk/brakecalipe...rkit_brk203816

If you stick your reg in it will find the parts for you, I suspect I'll be doing the fronts at some point in the near future.
                Thanks
                sigpic
                Cab 2.3E
                90q
                URS6

Comment

• New cap and rotor went on a week or so ago, when I checked then while doing the plugs they were very, very, heavily pitted and cap was filthy.

However, misfire has returned, when cold, and on light throttle

I'm beginning to think MAF, have a spare so will chuck that at it and see what happens.

Comment

• Still got the misfire, still not looked at it...

However today it went over the 200K mark -that's miles not kilometres

Comment

• OK, one other fault I would like to address sometime.... a crunchy third gear if I hurry the change up, and if I allow the revs to drop to idle when changing down it crunches then too :/

Seemed to happen almost overnight, so assume it is a syncro spring or similar that has fallen out. So the question is, how hard are these boxes to work on?

I assume it will need to come out, not phased by that. Not rebuilt one of these boxes before, but that doesn't worry me too much either

Comment

OK, one other fault I would like to address sometime.... a crunchy third gear if I hurry the change up, and if I allow the revs to drop to idle when changing down it crunches then too :/

Seemed to happen almost overnight, so assume it is a syncro spring or similar that has fallen out. So the question is, how hard are these boxes to work on?

I assume it will need to come out, not phased by that. Not rebuilt one of these boxes before, but that doesn't worry me too much either
                        Doesn't sound too good.
                        ........and here's me not looking forward to just changing the clutch when the time comes

Comment

• 01e box is ok to work on if you have a press and some pullers. Yes it needs to be out of the car. There is a very helpful video that I could share with you if you have a big drop box setup...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Comment

• Thanks John for the encouragement

Is it an 01e box I have? I literally have no idea...

I have a press, but lack decent pullers... so would have to buy them.

No dropbox I'm afraid... how big is the video?

Comment

• Ah, I have, or rather should have, an AXM, I know it has been changed (I did it!) and vaguely remember that the replacement box came from a later model, which had a slightly higher 5th gear.

I've looked before, but can't see/read the stamping, anyone any ideas where we can get the various ratios from for the quattro boxes?

Comment

• Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                                There is a very helpful video that I could share with you if you have a big drop box setup...
                                just upload it to youtube but as private so you can share the link and only the person receiving the link can see it.
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                                1990 CQ20v
                                2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Working...
                                X