Resurrection of my CQ20V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
    To be honest, when I did my timing belt (shown earlier in the thread), I used the tank then to de-paint and de-rust the belt shrouding while I was doing the rest of the job, with the current turned up it only took an hour or so to clean the parts

Then I painted them and bolted them into place while the paint was only very slightly tacky...

Washing soda in finnish is pesusooda ? Literally for washing clothes in...
    hang on a minute.. are you a secret Finnish linguist?!
    OK, I actually looked for a translation for sodium carbonate, which just gave me "sooda". Translating washing soda to pesusooda is an accurate direct translation but may mean b*gger all in the real world.
    I really don't remember seeing "pesusooda" anywhere... but of course I haven't been looking previously . It's going to be an interesting conversation when I ask someone in the supermarket for it (in my half-assed Finnish).
    "Do you have pesusooda?"
    "What's that?"
    "It's.. erm.. sooda... for washing."
    "Ah, you want to wash clothes?"
    "No I want to use electrolysis to remove rust and old paint from engine components."
    "Erm....."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    1990 CQ20v
    2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

• Could be awkward, I agree!

Still, should be pretty easy to find, I would think ?

Comment

• Well I thought that about many things here but have ended up confused

And there's always the possibility of getting all wrong, like the time I wanted a fried egg on my burger and accidentally asked for a c0 ck instead
        (had to try 3 times to get past the profanity filter there)
        1990 CQ20v

Comment

• Originally posted by Nj View Post
          .....like the time I wanted a fried egg on my burger and accidentally asked for a c0 ck instead

Comment

• The joys of being a foreigner in strange lands
            The Fnns will understand I'm sure. "muna" means "egg" but isn't used alone. it's always "kanamuna" for "chicken egg". "muna" by itself is slang for a gentleman's trouser sausage. So when I asked the young waitress for muna on my burger she burst out laughing and 2 of the guys with me (business associates) basically choked on their drinks. They kindly explained. Now I try to avoid the same mistake.

Erm.. sorry. I seem to have dragged this thread into the gutter. Maybe one of the mods should just remove my posts from today? sorry!!
            1990 CQ20v

Comment

The joys of being a foreigner in strange lands
              The Fnns will understand I'm sure. "muna" means "egg" but isn't used alone. it's always "kanamuna" for "chicken egg". "muna" by itself is slang for a gentleman's trouser sausage. So when I asked the young waitress for muna on my burger she burst out laughing and 2 of the guys with me (business associates) basically choked on their drinks. They kindly explained. Now I try to avoid the same mistake.

Erm.. sorry. I seem to have dragged this thread into the gutter. Maybe one of the mods should just remove my posts from today? sorry!!

Most embarrassing for you and the business associates but superb at the same time!

Good story,......... i like it.
              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
              96 URS6 plus speck estate
              94 2.6 80 Avant
              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• That's OK in my book, why not a bit of banter

My old calipers are going to a good home shortly, Slacky on here, hope he gets the same result as me

Comment

• Oh, and been driving it a bit more now, the pedal has settled in nicely, and the handbrake is just 3 clicks and solid, result

Comment

• This whole thread has been a greta read. Good work mate. I'm hoping I don't have to change my pas pump and servo etc but you never know. I'm kind of scared to build up any more jobs in case I never get them done to enjoy driving the car
                    1990 CQ20v

Comment

• Cheers Nj, sometimes you wonder if you are speaking into a void, good to know someone appreciates it, and finds it helpful

Comment

• ha! I know what you mean. Especially with "just" as CQ20v with no turbo

It's hard to know if you're just blogging for no apparent reason but when you take the time to photograph and write things up, then someone comes along and says thanks for taking the time, then it makes it worth it. It's been a while since I really contributed much on this forum (some may question if I have ever truly contributed) but I've written loads on audi-sport.net in recent years. I'm hoping to get more work done and add more posts here this spring/summer though. You never know. Something might even turn out to be useful!
                        1990 CQ20v

Comment

• Even with no turbo, it is fast enough for me, and a definite mile-muncher in daily use. I think that is where I differ from a lot on here, mine is driven whatever the weather, my only road-legal car at the moment (I have other projects), and it is NOT wrapped up in tissue paper, treated like glass, or cruised down the motorway behind the lorries... it is a working car and therefore has to be maintained as such.

The 'old cars are unreliable' thing is nonsense, especially once you get one with EFI and either German or Japanese made from the late 80's/90's.

It still scares a lot of modern kit, and my other fear is if it were faster, I may just make a stupid mistake one day... as it is, it is in my safe zone

Comment

• You're absolutely right mate. age is meaningless if the car is properly maintained. and unless some loony in a french car mashes you at a set of traffic lights then it's "just" a matter of replacing whatever breaks.
                            I was using my coupe as a daily unless my contract ended at the end of last year. Since I'm running my own company from home we parked up the coupe for a while since it's expensive to run 2 cars here. I'm nit sure my missus would fully approve of the parts and tool i'm constantly buying but sod it
                            A 2.3 20v is fast enough for most situations, you're right. When I brought mine over here the first snow was falling heavily and I had new snow tyres fitted in Helsinki, then had a blast for 7 hours driving north and overtaking almost everything in my path.
                            1990 CQ20v

Comment

Especially with "just" as CQ20v with no turbo
                              Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                              Even with no turbo, it is fast enough for me, and a definite mile-muncher in daily use.
                              Great cars undoubtedly. I'd like to think many S2 owners here respect them as the forerunner to what they're driving, some may say that was the RR though?
                              I love mine.

Originally posted by Nj View Post
                              ........ When I brought mine over here the first snow was falling heavily and I had new snow tyres fitted in Helsinki, then had a blast for 7 hours driving north and overtaking almost everything in my path.
                              You've mentioned that before, keep mentioning it......it conjures up great images!

Comment

• Originally posted by John. View Post
                                You've mentioned that before, keep mentioning it......it conjures up great images!
                                Although what I haven't mentioned was the small ball of fear in my stomach that this completely unknown car that sat largely untouched for 2 years would explode before I made it home

It's completely thanks to Kit that it was in decent running order. rebuilt brakes, new starter and countless other jobs were done before I ever even laid eyes on it.
                                You just can't imagine a 26 year old Fiesta sitting for 2 years and then driving across Germany and Finland without disintegrating can you?
                                1990 CQ20v

Comment

Working...
                                X