X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowie69
    replied
    So a small update....

Today I picked my car up from a garage (aside from MOT tests, this is literally the first time I have used a garage to do any work on any of my cars for about 15 years), where it had had a complete ( manifold-back) stainless exhaust system fabricated for it. I'm quite pleased with it, definitely more sporty than stock, but quieter than the old one with no baffles left in the middle box....

Somehow, I managed not to get any pictures of it (bar one, see if you can spot it in the following posts ) , but suffice to say it looks very nice in person, and at cruise it no longer bellows round the cabin on the motorway, so all good

I will get some photos over the weekend, assuming the weather is ok.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Aha, thanks Alex, if you have, that's be great!

I've found them on tradition, but postages kills that, as I don't have anything else to get from there at the moment.

930 mounts are great, no regrets! I assume they can be fitted at the gearbox end as well?

Leave a comment:

• Error404
    replied
    I think I still have a couple... need to check tomorrow.

Nice job on the 930 mounts
    For anyone else intersted I have these pre-modified, ready to fit on the shelf

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Ok, a question for the more learned guys, I want to buy a spigot bearing so I can replace it when I have the box out.

Part number I have is: 034105276B

However, finding one seems nigh on impossible, do any of you have a good source for these, or know of the equivalent timken/similar quality bearing?

Thanks
    Last edited by Bowie69; 6 November 2020, 23:04.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    On a similar note, trying to get good, sticky tyres in 205/60/15 is really difficult nowadays, they are all eco-biased, which is a shame. I normally run Nexen eco blue or something, but fancied something different this time, so instead of £83, the Goodyears were £113 fitted.

So far, much quieter than the old ones, and what feels like a softer sidewall, but will see how they fare in the long run

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Four new Goodyear tyres put on this morning, then Monday, it is going in for its stainless exhaust fabrication...... collecting it on Tuesday evening.

Pics to follow next week.

Then, in the following weeks, the plan is to pull it all apart and slap the new gearbox and rear diff in, and give the rear subframe a bit of rust repair and treatment -it is not that bad, I had it off at the very first part of the resurrection, and there were just a couple of small holes in it, I was without my welder, so I had it blasted, and ZG-90'd, which seems to have held up quite well, so will repair and repaint , hopefully assembling the whole lot on the floor and lifting it up into place in one lump.

Then a serious alignment session (!)

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Cheers Lago. Very therapeutic to be honest, and very satisfying.

Leave a comment:

• Lago Blue
    replied
    Wow! An clever piece of bracketry, that! I do recall reading somewhere "One should never doubt what a determined man can do with some hammering."

Leave a comment:

• John.
    replied
    Liking your Porsche mount upgrade, nice write-up

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Thanks, I'm sure I would be able to sell them, but then where is the fun in that

I used MIPA stuff I got off ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173874784968

This was one of the cheaper ones, but a good make from what I can work out.

Beware, there are some aerosols out there claiming to be 2K, when in fact, they can't possibly be, as there is no way of mixing the two parts(!).

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Very nice job on the diff actuator bracket. You would do well selling those.
    What make of two pack aerosol are you using? I was looking at those in the Frost catalogue only last night

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Final thing I did yesterday was to take a look at the rear diff mounts, as I was getting an annoying thumping, and what felt like massive drivetrain slack, including 'surging' or kangarooing when coming on and off throttle.

Got myself under the car and took a look, the news was not good:

image_79995.jpg

and even more not good when you realise the other one was completely mullered too:

IMG_20201025_183656.jpg

So my rear diff was being held in by the rear mount, and mostly hopes and dreams. This is irritating, as I replaced them only a few years ago, and it is not like I do moon mileage.

A little while back, Alex ( Error404 ) suggested that the Porsche 930 engine mounts were a good option, and I had bought some in preparation. No connection to them, but a good seller: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174053514188 https://www.buttysbits.com/

They are , however, a slightly different shape around the backing plate, so wouldn't fit flush with the subframe. This needed rectifying with a flap wheel, some M8 bolts shoved in for alignment, and a vice:

IMG_20201025_171439.jpg
    IMG_20201025_171433.jpg IMG_20201025_171429.jpg

As you can see, it is a not a huge amount to remove. There is a small bit to remove on the face as well, there is a slight cup shape formed by a press, which would stop the mount sitting flat, not huge, but should be removed as well. Sorry, no pics.

Original central M10 bolt would be no good here, the Porsche mount takes an M12 through the middle, so I needed to replace it. I had previously measured up the bolt required, and it looked like an M12x90 would be ideal, with a washer either side, and a nyloc, should get me 5mm stick out. I fitted the mounts to the car, and it did exactly that -the benefit of having the replacement diff sitting there for me to measure was a help in this case

Obviously the thump has gone entirely as you would expect, however the massive driveline shunt is also completely gone. This is good, it was making the car rather unpleasant to drive, especially round town.

Other bits done: Replaced the cap heads holding the rear anti toll bar in place with the very bolts with what looked like nordloc washers on them that came with the Porsche engine mounts. Fixed the heater fan (loose connection at the heater box for some reason?). And swapped out a rear brake caliper and hand brake cable, as it had been sticking on -glowing brake discs are not recommended.

Also swapped the headlamp bulbs out for some Philips +130, very nice indeed, waiting for the driving lamp bulbs to arrive now, too.
    Last edited by Bowie69; 26 October 2020, 19:06.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Also did final prep and then 2K clearcoated the gearbox, and I had just enough for the prop as well:

IMG_20201025_194715.jpg IMG_20201025_194745.jpg Monkey like shiny:

IMG_20201025_194752.jpg
    This (along with the diff) is the first time I have used 2K aerosols, I have to say I am completely sold. The finish is incomparable to normal solvent based paints, and is hard and tough. It covers really well, and goes off in this slightly inclement weather, as long as you have a bit of warmth.

I'll be using them again, despite the ~£15 cost for 400ml. It goes further than solvent based paints, as there is less solvent in the can, and more paint.
    Last edited by Bowie69; 26 October 2020, 12:22.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Bit more time yesterday to get some some smaller jobs done....

The bracket for the diff lock actuator was looking decidedly past it (NLA from anywhere it seems), so, after some CAD, careful cutting out with a grinder and step drill, what felt like it should have taken a lot longer than it did with a hammer and various bending methods, I ended up with this:

IMG_20201025_161220.jpg
    Little more hammer tweaking required there, but 99% done. Other views:

IMG_20201025_161224.jpg
    And a comparison with what was there(!):

IMG_20201025_161643.jpg IMG_20201025_161715.jpg

I used 0.9mm stainless sheet to make this, which seemed to bend up pretty well, and was able to reduce the metal where the return goes around the curve quite easily. I didn't make a hammer form, just used a regular bodywork dolly in a vice.

So after a final tappy-tap-tap with a hammer and dolly, to straighten out and little ripples, it was given a scotchbrite treatment and it is ready to go on the car when the diff gets swapped in.
    Last edited by Bowie69; 26 October 2020, 19:07.

Leave a comment:

• Vorsprung durch Technik
    replied
    Looking really very good indeed!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X