My Audi S2 let the work begin!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
    This should be a good project, plenty of pics please! From experience I can tell you the money spent will reward you big time, more than extra power
    Have to say, I'm surprised the front subframe needed replacing, they are normally pretty good. The rears on the other hand.... dog ****.
    If it helps achieve the original look and longevity, all the OE parts were E-coated. Add plenty of cavity wax inside the subframes and they should last for ever.
    Make sure you check above the back box heat shield for rust
    Thanks for the advice mate this is what sets this forum apart from others people are so fantastically helpful thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by sjw185 View Post
      Your S2 is getting a right birthday!
      I'm planning the same treatment.
      Front subframe refurb and respray
      Lol it sure is funny you should mention that as first date of registration is 1st August 1995 so it's 19 years old and 12 days don't tell the missus how match am spending she'll be well jel lol!!!

Comment

What kind of condition are your subframes in at the moment? I'm thinking of doing this kind of refurb some point soon, but I have no idea whether or not I should buy replacement subframes as well as all the arms, wishbones etc I've already purchased.

Comment

Mine were in a bad way put it this way its been the only advisory on my MOT for 2 years and this year (August) it would definitely fail!!

Comment

Ah, mine definitely aren't as bad as that yet!

Comment

Originally posted by anthonys2 View Post
              Not good! That's why am spending bigger bucks so it doesn't happen and I'll be getting it all treated. Rear subframe is one I got a while ago from someone on here who didn't quite sell me the correct aby coupe rear they know who they are! But its being welded by a pro apart from it not being 100% right its in very good nic!

That's the way I went in the end. I managed to get a really good CQ frame from Will @ VRS and then just swapped the ARB towers over myself!

The only reason mine have got some slight rust is I used a local powder coater that did everything for £100 but it's my own fault for not protecting them further.

Back to the project though... Plenty of pictures please!
              96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
              96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Is powder coat the way to go? I've been thinking of painting my replacement suspension arms with POR 15

Comment

I've done POR15 and powder coat - both now rusting in places. POR15 does not live up to the hype and certainly not worth the hard work IMHO. When I do it again I'm going to dip & e-coat or galvanise as per Mr Tonks
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                    I've done POR15 and powder coat - both now rusting in places. POR15 does not live up to the hype and certainly not worth the hard work IMHO. When I do it again I'm going to dip & e-coat or galvanise as per Mr Tonks
                    I had written a reply,but before posting had a look and saw you reply so decide not to post. I wrote saying don't bother powder coating but go por15.I then suggested Galvanizing might be preferable as you say. One thing...is E coat the same as Galvaning and what was the Dip?
                    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                    96 URS6 plus speck estate
                    94 2.6 80 Avant
                    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

I've gone this route: Blasted, galvanized and then powdercoated. Hoping it should last
                      1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

I recently refurbished my typ85.90 subframes and they were in surprisingly good shape, especially the front as it was covered in thick grease & engine oil. Back was a bit pitted but not really in cavities. Blasted and primed in a heated booth with heavy zinc marine primer. Brushed on por15 silver top coat and they look spanking. There will be a day were I wish I'd galvanised them. Tubular by that time anyway

Comment

Any other plans while she's laid up Ant?

Comment

Originally posted by campbellWS View Post
                            Any other plans while she's laid up Ant?
                            Once this is done its going to my mates in Berwick for a full respray restoration and alloys will be refurbed. Next year full restoration on carpets and interior and hopefully a porsche brake upgrade! Ploughing a bit of money into the car but its for long term as shes a keeper!!!lol

Comment

Originally posted by anthonys2 View Post
                              Once this is done its going to my mates in Berwick for a full respray restoration and alloys will be refurbed. Next year full restoration on carpets and interior and hopefully a porsche brake upgrade! Ploughing a bit of money into the car but its for long term as shes a keeper!!!lol
                              Sounds like a plan! Absolutely an investment at this point eh? No motor more deserved, proven as a show winner

Comment

Maybe worth while dropping the rear diff for a clean up and paint.
                                I regret not doing mine now my nice clean rear subframe is back in place.
                                Even taking off the diff lock bracket and painting up the hubs would make a difference
                                Oh yea and the wishbones

Comment

Working...
                                X