No announcement yet.

What to do with my S2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The big question is, do you like getting your hands dirty and spending most of your spare time working on or finding parts or thinking about the car?

If not then sell it for what you can get, buy a daily and save for a coupe that's been looked after. You will spend a lot less money and time that way.
    And I already have an avant that's cost me 6k and still needs more work!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Dude my avant needs the underneath having some love which its going to get next year. The thing with these cars are that they are rare and getting rarer by the day so it appears lol. The power steering issues arent going to go away but may be able to keep going for a bit? As for the subframes adn bushes... better the devil you know! Whats to say the next daily wont also need them doing in the next year? Remember Mk4 golfs and Leons eat bushes so almost need doing yearly so why not do the avant instead? They can be done in 1 hit if you find replacememnt spares on here they can even be done in 1 weekend... Just saying!

Would I save the car if it was mine??? YES. What else is going to get odd looks when you have just whipped something new? Im thinking of getting a £200 rubbish mobile for next year with enough MOT to see the avant through its work so I dont have to rush the subframe and diff recon. (or im using my van lol if I get the head fixed in time) Oh and the head on my avant was refreshed in the last 18 months so I was almost in your situation this time 2 years ago minus the power steerign issues. I think most of us have been in this situation at some point and stuck through it.

If it still brings a smile to your face then keep it. if not, bin it.

Lastly, GOOD LUCK!

Comment

I really can't imagine paying a garage to do all the work on an S2, unless I was in the Mafia or king of Monaco etc, so you have my deepest condolences.

I've never seen an Avant rear sub frame need replacement due to corrosion, they normally last MUCH better than the B3/Coupe items and I'm sure it was fine when I looked over the car a few years back. Same applies to the front subframe.

I've seen this car in the flesh and driven it as I'm good friends with the previous owner and I can tell you there's much worse out there on the road.

It would be a real shame to see this one broken up.

Is there anyway you could store the car somewhere? Then you could wait till you have the spare time and money and actually enjoy doing most the work yourself at your own pace. Nothing is beyond a home mechanic with the help on this forum.

The Avant is really a better a car than the Coupe, if I had to start over it would be with a 'coffin carrier', the Coupe's inability to repeal water does my head in.

Plus Avant's handle better, no argument.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Do you have garage space? If so get stuck in and do some jobs yourself. You will save a fortune on labour. Sounds like most parts are routine items on most cars top mounts exhaust bushes etc. Unless your subframes are really bad you will be able to save them. Ask any questions on here and somebody will help if your not sure how to remove/fix something.

Doing jobs just to keep it running is not a good idea in my experience. Sorn the S2 and get a cheap runabout for a while. Then get the big jobs done after that you will feel better. I think you'd regret selling because it needs these jobs done.
          1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

I'm getting the feeling most folks are insisiting you keep her and do most of the work yourself, I have to agree. Ok so you going to new house and dont want her to sit out front and rust away, for about £40-70 you could get a decent waterproof cover and then shouldnt bother the new neighbours. However if it's going to be too much work for you there are vultures would take her off your hands, get parts from all over and fix her right up, post her up on here then you will be sick at seeing what you could have done, just saying like. Also as mentioned again these avants are becoming more and more rare, food for thought. Good luck in either direction you choose.

1998 A6 Q (Suzie)
            2 x B4 80's both 1993 (Heather & Hazel)
            1995 A4 1.6 (Heather II)
            1999 A6 Avant 2.4 (Bollie)
            2001 S6 Avant 4.2 (Rio)
            1995 80 Cabrio 2.6 (Gracie)
            2013 Q7 Flooded & gone
            1995 RS2 2.2 Flooded & gone

Comment

Originally posted by Michael S2 View Post
              Do you have garage space? If so get stuck in and do some jobs yourself. You will save a fortune on labour. Sounds like most parts are routine items on most cars top mounts exhaust bushes etc. Unless your subframes are really bad you will be able to save them. Ask any questions on here and somebody will help if your not sure how to remove/fix something.

Doing jobs just to keep it running is not a good idea in my experience. Sorn the S2 and get a cheap runabout for a while. Then get the big jobs done after that you will feel better. I think you'd regret selling because it needs these jobs done.
              1998 A6 Q (Suzie)
              2 x B4 80's both 1993 (Heather & Hazel)
              1995 A4 1.6 (Heather II)
              1999 A6 Avant 2.4 (Bollie)
              2001 S6 Avant 4.2 (Rio)
              1995 80 Cabrio 2.6 (Gracie)
              2013 Q7 Flooded & gone
              1995 RS2 2.2 Flooded & gone

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                The big question is, do you like getting your hands dirty and spending most of your spare time working on or finding parts or thinking about the car?

If not then sell it for what you can get, buy a daily and save for a coupe that's been looked after. You will spend a lot less money and time that way.
                And I already have an avant that's cost me 6k and still needs more work!

Everyone has come up with good reasons to keep the car and repair it and i agree with them as i like to get my hands dirty and lavish love and attention to a special car. It would be a shame if the car just sat there outside doing nothing for a long time.Trouble is everyone has a personal viewpoint that might not suit you.

To avoid all the heartache, stress and letting the car down i would recommend strongly you answer Newsh's above quote honestly.

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                e, if I had to start over it would be with a 'coffin carrier', the Coupe's inability to repeal water does my head in.

Plus Avant's handle better, no argument.
                96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                96 URS6 plus speck estate
                94 2.6 80 Avant
                99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

I agree with all above, sounds like a pretty average list for these motors.
                  Get a runabout, park it up, make a list of what needs doing, collect all the parts then do all the work in one hit once it warms back up in the spring.

If you decide to sell, I will buy it and keep it alive
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

There's no doubt these cars test your patience, wallet and love but they are worth the effort. I've spent a grand on mine in the last month and the list goes on

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                      If you decide to sell, I will buy it and keep it alive
                      Blimey!!!! Thats a bit of an offer.... I suddenly see the bar for Avants being raised again!!!! You and Eric are making mine look like a total heap if you jump on the coffin carrier wagon lol.

Jack... that sounds like an easy sale right there mate haha

Comment

Error will see the light one day and buy an avant ...seriously though these cars will test your patience, but when everything is going right theres nothing better out there
                        1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

The more hair I loose the more a slipper wagon appeals
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

my s2 coupe never leaked, but the subframes still looked poor. solid under though. every 15 year old car will test your patience. the wiring and sensors will be well past best.

on the b3 saloon the subframes were like new.
                            gotta agree with lots of the above. if you don't get your hands dirty then sell it for a normal type car. if you do then crack on.

its your car and get the best return you can for it. if that means selling in parts then that's the way forward.

Comment

I say keep it

Comment

I had similar problem with my urs4,even worst honestly
                                But i decided to not brake it up,and i worked on him day and night and now its almost finished with 5000e+ put in it,and 1k left to finish it
                                I worked alone on the car,with help of people from the forum with advices
                                Forget paying to mehanic's,it will cost you a fortune so its the best to work it by yourself,cheaper and u will be proud of it when u finish it,guaranteed

Comment

Working...
                                X