No announcement yet.

Audi 80 Quattro 1989

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a tank for long load aperture aka ski hatch, also found some cloth covered trim pieces.

Originally posted by _ShurikeN View Post
    A pretty blue thing on the left. My dad used to own such one in this color.
    Something for you. Old soviet commercial
    https://streamable.com/fwi0r
    1989 Audi 80 Quattro
    1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

As there is no bolt on solution for right side engine mount for B3/B4 1.8T swap, I had an idea to make correct cast aluminum OEM look part. I have seen people using Cabrio 1.8 ADR mount, but it only fits V6 chassis cars.

1:5 scale model for prototyping.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

Right side bracket from A6 (4A,C4) ADR may help with early 1.8T like AEB. But looks like no go with later 1.8T and K04 turbo.

Comment

This is cabrio adr mount. C4 adr mount is almost same.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

A mock made some years back.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Made by one guy from local forum. Looks pretty cool.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

Engine and I5 radiator brackets was welded onto the car. Also a bracket for gas strut for the hood.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

Finally finished new ABS/EDL and diff lock wiring. Replaced remaining steel brake lines with copper and added one more brake line for rear, as B3/B4 quattros only have one brake line for rear brakes.
                  Old brake booster also had dent in it, probably from accident, new one is from B4 with master cylinder, it is bigger and sits ~10cm more towards the firewall.

Must be special kind of stupid to do an engine swap in zero degree weather when it is snowing
                  Went to the house for a 30 minutes and it started snowig meanwhile.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

2.3 NG vs 2.0 PS intake. Probably not a very big difference, but longer runners should add some Nm at low end.

About a year ago I was parting a wrecked C3Q, but didn't know then that only quattros had a 3 pipe exhaust manifold and downpipe, so pretty rare today and it was crushed to scrap

Some pics from interwebs

1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

Drove over a hour on ice track, engine pulls very good.... most of the time. When reving while standstill, engine works fine, but then you try accelerate it just chokes, goes for half second, chokes again, goes again till the limiter. Completly random, cold, hot doesn't matter.
                      And then you can do 10 laps, no problems, works really vell all over the rev range and randomly starts choking again.
                      I'm suspecting the fuel filter, as old engine did something similar, but not as bad.

Engine is 2.3 NG. Fuel injection is from 2.0 I5 PS non catalyst version engine. Car has no ECU, only idle speed stabilization relay module with one temp sensor.
                      Ignition timing is vacuum controlled. Warmup is also vacuum controlled.
                      The injection is similar to KV 2.2 engine I think.

Bosch 5.3 Quattro ABS pump from 1997+ B5/C5 works very well, don't know why the old ABS system throwed a fault after 100m, sensors, hubcarriers and CV joints, all are the same ones.
                      EDL doesn't work yet, haven't been able to figure out the standing time signal. The B5 cluster doesn't even send a signal from pin 11 (standing time output) all the time, and when it does it varies in length.

Probably gonna add a diagonal brace for more rigity.

Last edited by M2ki; 18 February 2018, 00:45.
                      1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

Mounted pressure gauge on the fuel line, when pressure drops to 3 bars the starts cutting out/choking until the pressure returnts to 6 bars, then it works fine again.
                        Also pressure drops to 3 when turning or swering the car and not even touching the gas pedal.

Whats inside the B3 gas tank? Is there somekind on filter screen or surge flaps?
                        1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

Rust and water mostly
                          5vtq gte

Comment

You're proboably right.

Stumbled across this thread. http://forums.quattroworld.com/4000/msgs/68637.phtml

Yesterday I took a tank from donor car, that has been sitting dry for 10 years. Worked fine for 30 minutes and same problem, starts cutting and fuel pump makes noises likes there's no fuel in the tank. When cornering it's even worse.

Despite that managed to get best time in 4WD class on ice track today with weakest engine

Some camera problems at the beginning.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

Is your breather blocked? Do you get a sucking sound when you remove your filler cap?
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Nope. It is vented to atmosphere.
                                1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

Working...
                                X