No announcement yet.

Audi 80 Quattro 1989

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meanwhile you can check out some pics of my "poor mans RS2" quattro conversion.
    Got it stuck, so decided to find some use to my spare sparts parts and convert it to quattro.
    After ~1993.06 there are reinforcemnts with mounting nuts missing from inside the chassis legs.
    I opened them up from top, put the reinforments in and closed them back up.

Missing nut with the reinforment to mount the the subframe. Quattro shockmout nut is there, hidden under the tape. Missing hole and nut inside the cabin for quattro fuel tank strap. Another missing mount for fuel tank strap.

Reinforcemnt itself. Notice pipe, to prevent the chassis rail to collapse. Same pipe has the missing thread/nut inside it for subframe bolt.

Opening the chassis rail, installing the reinforcement, closing it back up.

Installing the diff mount.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro
    1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

• Love it! Couldn't get to finishing my other car so decided to convert another to quattro - a true enthusiasts life!

Comment

• 1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

• Finally

1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

• Awesome thread.

JW
            | project | 1993 Audi 80 VR6 turbo quattro |
            | daily | 2006 BMW E91 335d | 385bhp 735Nm |

Comment

• Don't ever sell your car to a friend, because then it has a lifetime warranty
              The blue B3 90 was a parts donor for my quattro.
              Instead of scrapping or parting it out, i replaced the 5 cylinder 2 liter PS engine with 4 cylinder 2 litre 3A engine years ago and sold it.
              Now it's back on my yard for a "service".

The infamous ke-jetronic is acting up, i have no time, no skill and no interest to diagnose and repair it, probably 1 injector is bad.
              Compressions were all good, above 14bar.

So lets convert it to electronic injection.

Took all the ke-jet stuff, intake, metering head etc. off and replaced with parts from my poor mans RS2 old engine ABK 2 litre.

ABK is using digifant so i needed engine harness, intake, coolant flange, new filter box with airflow meter.
              Moved fuel pipes to the firewall and cut off one metal blob with a stud from the exhaust to fit the aluminium heat shield from ABK.

3A is a short block and ABK is a tall block, so it will sit a little bit lower and crank case ventilation is not a straigh swap, otherwise it was pretty much plug and play.

Did a emissions test few days ago and all good.

Why not use the whole ABK engine? Because it blew a head gasket.

Ignore the tapping noise, engine has not been running over 6 months, want away after it warmed up and hasn't come back.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

• Last budget swap was a practice run next one is on a 5 cylinder.

And for that i bought (or saved) another car

Owner wanted to scrap it so it was basically a scrap price.
                It is again 2.0 liter 5 cylinder PS engine, made for Belgium, Portugal and Italian market for tax reasons.

Plan is nothing new and it has been done before.
                I have more ABK digifant parts, so another budget swap.

Intake stays the same, ABK injectors seats are almost bolt on to the 5 cylinder intake.
                Weld a bung for a lambda probe, as the PS engine has no ecu, no cat, no lambda.
                Swap the TPS.
                Extend the fuel rail.
                ABK has injectors wired in parallel, so adding a fifth one is not a problem.

Because ABK is 4 cyl and PS is 5 cyl the rev limiter be ~5200rpm. To fix that ecu firmware will be modified.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

• After being made to give my B3 80Q away while I was crazy (to be fair my drive did look a mess) I've recently acquired it back for scrap value as the guy I gave to couldn't be bothered to sort out a couple of simple bodywork problems. I sold the cat the next day for more than I gave him for it so I lost nothing.

I did crash it in early 2020 while in a deranged state so it looked a little sad.

Anyway, I've got all the parts to fix it from eBay including a brand new decent quality radiator, cross member, slam panel and a genuine Audi wing the wrong colour but otherwise like new for a grand total of £170.

However it is not high on my list of priority's to get it on the road, I merely want to make look presentable for the time being. If I'm working on my own cars I must be getting my Golf G60 ready to sell as getting rid of that will not only give me space but also a considerably amount of money.

After B5Nut talked some sense into me I plan to leave mine fairly stock, sticking with the 3A, just making the car as light as possible to increase performance and I will be on the look out for a decent interior to put back in it at some point.

It's still got it National Trust tax disc holder, a prized feature I'm retaining. Only UK folk will understand this.

Subscribed!

Back home and yes I do have the other BBS RM wheel.

audi 80.jpg
                  Last edited by K Simmonds; 29 May 2022, 00:57.
                  1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                  1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                  1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                  1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by M2ki View Post
                    Don't ever sell your car to a friend, because then it has a lifetime warranty
                    This is very good advice.

1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by M2ki View Post
                      ABK has injectors wired in parallel, so adding a fifth one is not a problem.
                      That's nice. How does it drive? Any chance it will give stock 5-cylinder horsepower?

Comment

• Have not tested it yet, but those who made that swap, say they cant feel the differnece.

And you can adjust fuel and ignition maps.
                        1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

• Made another engine swap.... on a lawnmower
                          1.9kW -> 5kW
                          263% power increase
                          Old, spacer adapter and new engine.

Absolutly zero progress on cars.
                          But my garage has now a door and the lift installed.
                          Now i need some lights.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

• As the 1B engine wiring needs some work anyway and all the parts have been sitting for years and are in unkwon condition, I'm not gonna even bother with it.
                            MegaSquirt-III MS3X Expansion
                            LD wideband controller
                            TFSI coils
                            Volvo injectors 0280155831 300cc@3 BAR
                            Polo main seal with 60-2 trigger

1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

• Could not find any concrete info what parts to use, so i'm gonna post it here, maybe it will help someone in the future.
                              Used ABY injector inserts # 034133555, seems to be available only on Tradition, fortunately local shop had few on stock.
                              Then injectors don't fit in them propely, used lathe to machine off few mm.
                              Then fuel rail that someone had made for 2.3 10V don't fit, because injectors are in the manifold vs. in the head on 1B.
                              Made new fuel rail from two 1.8T rails.
                              Then throttle cam won't fit anymore, saw some pics, people using phenolic spacer between the IM and head, but it still wouldn't clear.
                              Now i have to figure something out with the throttle cam.

Received plugs and pins, straight from 'Murica.
                              Also the MS3 is so big, don't know yet where i'm gonna fit it.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

• First googled photo:
                                85ae726s-1920.jpg

Looks like working, fuel rail made of V6 one.
                                I may be missing something, but want to support the conversation.

also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76f2XBTDoFY

Comment

Working...
                                X