Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Mark the engine looks great, i was looking for the company you used to get your crank lightened and i turned up nothing.
    Can you share any more info?

Cheers James
    Chef

Comment

Oh Joy!
      I fitted gap less second ring (recommended by my ex engine machinist/parts supplier)
      with a chrome top ring. Honed with a flex type honing tool.
      Alls well so far, 380 miles. I am still concentrating on bedding the rings in, plenty of revs with the lightest of throttle. I get no smoke in normal driving but it did chuff some out at the mot today, soon as i pulled away it cleared.
      My UR ABY has gapless top ring, was honed with same tool and I have never had any isses. 95000 miles later, oil stays super clean.

S4 how did you run yours in?
      Rob..
      94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
      87 UR 20v ABY
      97 S6 Avant
      96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
      1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
        @Mark the engine looks great, i was looking for the company you used to get your crank lightened and i turned up nothing.
        Can you share any more info?

Cheers James
        Sorry for the late reply (been on Hols), I used Bassett Down Balancing
        Mark - Modded

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
          Oh Joy!
          I fitted gap less second ring (recommended by my ex engine machinist/parts supplier)
          with a chrome top ring. Honed with a flex type honing tool.
          Alls well so far, 380 miles. I am still concentrating on bedding the rings in, plenty of revs with the lightest of throttle. I get no smoke in normal driving but it did chuff some out at the mot today, soon as i pulled away it cleared.
          My UR ABY has gapless top ring, was honed with same tool and I have never had any isses. 95000 miles later, oil stays super clean.

S4 how did you run yours in?
          I'd like to know how S4quattro got on with his problem too.
          Mark - Modded

Comment

very impressive mark hope ur coming to birmingham at any time looks awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Halligan View Post
              Pistons are JE's 82mm, 8.0:1, valve pockets 1.5mm deeper. Also with a few extra machining options including lateral gas ports. I would have liked to had them made them with bigger 22mm wrist pins for more strength and had rods made to fit them. But I already have a set of Arrows to use and I'm not made of money LOL.

Rings are Total Seal gapless top ring set. I've read alot about these being a real biatch to get seated on run in. But these seem to have seated fairly quickly and well. For this ring set TS advise honing to 280 grit (no flex hone) with a torque plate, I did that so maybe that helped.
              Do you have the spec sheet / order shet for these pistons Mark or did JE do all the calculations?

Comment

There is an order form on their web page but basically they will make the pistons to what ever spec you ask for. You will need to know bore size, wrist pin size, compression height, any dish you require +ve or –ve, compression ratio, and what coatings you want, if any, on the skirt and crown.
                If in doubt send an email to Steve, he is really helpful.

You could ask him if he’s finished mine yet :mischeif:
                sigpic
                1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Hi Andy I'm aware of all the above, I was asking if Mark had the form that he completed to JE

Comment

I'll try to find the spec/order sheet that came with these and bring them to GTI on Saturday. Are going to go with the lateral gas ports too?

PS these aren't for your stroker though are they, as the comp height will be wrong.........
                    Mark - Modded

Comment

Marco used standard comp height as he was using 155.8 rod length on his JE pistons.

I calculated 32.45 comp height though, but i'll speak to Mr Pisobiker over this before I order as he knows what he's doing

It's easier to complete a form once you've seen one that has been completed if you know what I mean I wont be using your stats number for numbers.

I thought about the lateral gas ports, I'll decide before ordering along with the total seal top ring package
                      Last edited by Jamo; 13 June 2007, 23:46.

Comment

I have found the email I sent to Steve at Top End:

Hi,

I would like to order a set of 5 Pistons to fit Audi inline five cylinder turbocharged engine (Code ABY) - High Boost/Power Road use, this order would similar to the one I placed with you about 12 Months ago:

Made to fit 3.228 inch bore
                        8.0:1 compression ratio
                        Valve pockets 1.5mm deeper than OEM piston
                        20mm Wrist Pin as in OEM piston, JE wire locks.
                        1.2mm, 1.5mm and 3mm ring groove spec to remain the same as in the previous order.

I have attached a pic of the job ticket supplied with the last set of pistons to assist (these were a warranty set as the first set supplied were the wrong size).

In addition to the above specs I would also be requiring the following custom machining options of -
                        Lateral Gas ports
                        Contact Reduction Grooves
                        Accumulator Groove

NO PISTON RINGS REQUIRED WITH THIS ORDER

I already have rings, these are a Gapless Top Ring set from Total Seal, part #'s are:

Top Ring - 42932/ Rail - 45487Q Second Ring - 35646 Oil Ring - 001254

Please let me know if you need any further info on the rings for groove sizing.

Important - Thin area of material adjacent valve pockets at edge of piston to be machined away as in OEM piston.

If you could let me know if all of the above is possible along with the price (inc shipping to the UK) and lead time, I would be grateful........

Cheers,

Mark.
                        The pic of the job ticket used to spec these and attached to that email is below, although the last set with the custom machining options came out a little lighter than 304gms. I will dig around and see if I can find the latest one.
                        Attached Files
                        Mark - Modded

Comment

Mark your a star sir

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                            Hi Andy I'm aware of all the above, I was asking if Mark had the form that he completed to JE
                            why not just do the maths?

Comment

Originally posted by s2dude View Post
                              Theres a difference between theory and reality. I've already done the theory I want to compare it to reality

The maths are theory and someone who has working piston specs is a reality

Comment

Originally posted by s2dude View Post
                                Because it would be an expensive mistake if you get it wrong
                                91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                                93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                                94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Working...
                                X