Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so what does this engine produce now Mark?

Comment

Nice work sir!
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

One word... GORGEOUS!

Like all who have posted I would love to see my lump be worked upto that standard. Maybe one day?

Please post your dyno results as/when you know them; I'm very interested to see what you get.

Nice work!

Comment

Well done Mark, Ive been waiting for this thread for 9 months.

I think the girdle plate is a great idea, just extra peace of mind i suppose, and knowing Mark he'll get bored with a GT35-40R soon enough and want more LOL.

How is the clearence between the sump and subframe Mark, any alterations needed?

Comment

Looks great nice work, i'm curious as to what paint you used? And that crank shaft looks superb

Did you use the Zetec stud kit for the extra length to bolt the girdle on or was there another reason for not using the i5 main kit? ....before i order mine.

Happy motoring,

Mark.
            91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
            93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
            94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Thanks

Good point - I forgot to mention that the subframe needed modding to clear the sump which is 10mm lower, I did this a long time ago when I knew I would probably use the girdle. Modding the sump is another option too.

Reason for the Zetec headstuds is for the extra length needed with the girdle.

Paint is Blue smooth Hammerite

Cheers
              Mark - Modded

Comment

High temp hammerite right?

Beautiful engine work by the way. I like the girdle. The blue looks good and the reassembly a work of art!

Cheers,

Steve
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic
                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Halligan
                  TS rings seated real quick and seem fine so far.
                  Did you use any special method for the break in? Or did you use the conventional method? I also have TS rings on my engine, but mine is now throwing out a lot of oil in the breather filter and showing massive leakdown.

Comment

the clutch; what power does this piece manage ??? will you lay out the P/N and place you have bout the spec pieces....studs,piston,clutch,and so on

Comment

Originally posted by S4quattro
                      Did you use any special method for the break in? Or did you use the conventional method? I also have TS rings on my engine, but mine is now throwing out a lot of oil in the breather filter and showing massive leakdown.
                      I used the conventional method for break in, just loading the engine lightly for the first 100 or so miles.

I have heard a lot about this happening too, thats why I had the block honed with a torque plate. The guy at TS also told me that the honing should be done with a rigid hone and not a flex/hand hone to the correct finish. I also used their 'quick seat' powder on the bores during assembly.

There is also one other thing that may have made them seat better.......I am using lateral gas ports and these provide a pathway for the combustion pressure to get behind the top ring and improve seal. Although at the expense of possible increased bore and ring wear (I'll take that chance as its not an everyday car). Maybe these have helped?

To be honest I am experimenting with these rings (and the gas ports), and the good start I have had with them may well change.....hopefully not, we'll see.
                      A couple of times while planning the build I nearly changed my mind and went with conventional rings, but decided in the end to give them a try. If it all goes **** up I will let you know.

How long did it take before you had the problems of massive leakdown and blowby develop? Also what ring pack are you using - gapless top ring or second ring?

Cheers
                      Mark - Modded

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar
                        the clutch; what power does this piece manage ??? will you lay out the P/N and place you have bout the spec pieces....studs,piston,clutch,and so on
                        Aelred can get you the clutch with a choice of friction material and power specs available here:http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15689

The ARP studs are avaiolable from any ARP dealer.

I got the JE pistons from Top End Performance just tell them what you want and they will get it made for you.

Cheers
                        Mark - Modded

Comment

nice work om the engine...thank for the answers... i love this pics,i have this in my pc stored

Comment

How long did it take before you had the problems of massive leakdown and blowby develop? Also what ring pack are you using - gapless top ring or second ring?
                            The problems with pressure in the crank startet after roughly 800 km (500 miles) but the engine threw out just a very small amount of oil under boost at first. After 900 km the engine blew out alot of oil. First i thought that i could be the little plastic valve under the IM that could be the cause of this, so i replaced the valve with a alu plug.
                            But it did not help.

I performed a leakdown test recently and cyl 1 was ok but cyl 2-5 was not good.
                            So i have to stip the engine and then i will know more what happend to it.

I am using the gapless second ring btw

Comment

Mains caps and girdle are now secured by ARP studs (headstud kit from a Zetec engine). The stud directly beneath the one way valve in the bock (mains #3, left side) was shortened to clear it. Roger did all the work and found out the hard way HERE
                              Picture on the org. thread is gone so here's a copy:
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Audi_CQ; 7 July 2006, 01:37.

Comment

Originally posted by S4quattro
                                The problems with pressure in the crank startet after roughly 800 km (500 miles) but the engine threw out just a very small amount of oil under boost at first. After 900 km the engine blew out alot of oil. First i thought that i could be the little plastic valve under the IM that could be the cause of this, so i replaced the valve with a alu plug.
                                But it did not help.

I performed a leakdown test recently and cyl 1 was ok but cyl 2-5 was not good.
                                So i have to stip the engine and then i will know more what happend to it.

I am using the gapless second ring btw
                                Sorry to hear that, I hope my gapless top ring set will be ok. There are also a couple of other forum members who are going to be using gapless rings in the near future so it will be interesting to see how they get on with them.

Good luck getting it sorted.
                                Mark - Modded

Comment

Working...
                                X