No announcement yet.

jbrentd's 2nd Chance CQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Met a friend on Saturday morning to drop off some parts to be powder coated and got this pic from him the next day. I owe him, big time. I’m excited, to say the least.

Also got the heat shield mounted. One piece of the puzzle at a time, for me.

2001 A4 Avant QMS - FXK04'd
    1991 Audi CQ - Project
    1996 A4 12v Quattro Manual - SOLD

Comment

Couple things done tonight.

S2 3B Oil return at oil pan extension

Combination of 7A and 200 3B breather system

S2 3B charge hose and TIP piping. Had to make due with another off the shelf product in the bypass piping. Not ideal, but it should work.
      1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

I spent a few hours on Sunday getting the coupe on jack stands and removing the front end so I could get to the crank bolt. This was so I could swap over the water pump and timing belt from the 7A to the 3B, since these parts only had 2k miles on them from when I worked on the replacement 7A.

Also painted the engine brackets, finished up the coolant lines, and mounted the AC compressor to make sure there were no interference issues with the oil filter adapter. It’s a tight fit, but hopefully no issues. I’ve heard that the AAN oil filter adapter may work better.

I think I might take a stab at modifying my CQ coolant/heater hard line to add in a connection for the afterrun connection, but not sure yet.

1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

Got some of those powder coated parts mounted up.

1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

With the exception of swapping out the oil filter housing for an AAN version, I think I’m just down to running vacuum lines.

Working on making room in the coupe. Im thinking about removing the engine and transmission together. What’s your preferred method? Is it best to drop it with the subframe and all the suspension? Or other? I do plan to refresh all brake parts and bushings while it’s apart.

1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

Progress is a little slower than I’d like on the coupe, but I was able to get some of the suspension torn down this afternoon.

I’d like to find a set of brake dust covers, but won’t hold my breath. I’ll probably just knock down the rust and apply the 3-step POR15 products. Thinking about using that stuff on a decent amount of the suspension and steering parts.

1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

It's been a why since I updated this, but some progress has been made.

With the 3B waiting on the stand, I've been working on the suspension and other stuff. I am replacing all of the bushings...solid for the subframes and poly for the rest. This was not fun.

Cleaned up the rear diff. Here are some before and after pics.

Also applied POR15 to a bunch of the suspension parts. With a box full of new hardware that i picked up this week, I hope to have most of the rear put back together. Still waiting on my buddy to press the new bearings in to the hubs though.

Cleaned up my homemade coilovers. While I was at it, I swapped the springs front and rear, added the helper springs, and fitted the AKMS/Verkline top mounts.

Next were the wheel wells, which were quite nasty. There was also a decent amount of overspray on the wheel well liners from when I had the car painted.

1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

Nice update. You've done a great job there.

Comment

loads of work done. its a tedious job getting everything cleaned up, but definitely worth it
                    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                      loads of work done. its a tedious job getting everything cleaned up, but definitely worth it
                      <3 <3

Comment

Thanks. I know I would be unhappy with myself if I didn’t take this opportunity to get things cleaned up.
                        1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

Managed to get the rear subframe back in place. Also routed the new emergency brake lines and ABS sensors. The sensors aren’t OEM so I cut off the old grommets to reuse. Better than nothing I suppose.

I also managed to break the emergency brake adjustment bracket. Quick trip to the hardware store and we’re back in business. The emergency brake has never worked in this car in the 10 years Since I bought it.

Couldn’t finish the rear suspension since I am waiting on my friend to press the new bearings into the hubs. So, I decided to start working on the interior. Need to remove the dash for harness and HVAC swap. Also want to pull out the carpet so I can clean it well and run the positive battery cable to the hatch. Carpets are pretty nasty.

1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

When I started to pull the carpets, I was hoping to find some loose change, maybe my lost parking garage badge. Not rusty floor pans. Not sure what the best plan of attack is. Any BTDT help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

It's a lot of work to scrape out the black stuff on the floor and you are going to find quite a bit of rust.
                              Can you weld?
                              Chisel or multi tool for the black stuff. Some use a blow torch but I found it made a mess.
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                                It's a lot of work to scrape out the black stuff on the floor and you are going to find quite a bit of rust.
                                Can you weld?
                                Chisel or multi tool for the black stuff. Some use a blow torch but I found it made a mess.
                                Can I weld? Haha...I have a welder, but I have only done some basic jobs with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

Working...
                                X